Dash Mart

storewanderer

Dash Mart

Post by storewanderer »

I had seen these before but never went into one. I thought these were convenience stores. I noticed recently one opened in a really strange location in Reno that made no sense for a convenience store at all. Now I understand this is a c-store concept for Door Dash, and it does not serve walk in customers, it only serves Door Dash drivers.

None of the exterior signs say anything about Door Dash. It looks like a generic c-store chain.

I went to the parking lot and they have all tinted windows so you cannot see inside, but an ad on the window showing c-store items. There was also some sign that it is not open to the public that I didn't quite understand? Inside there is a very small standing room and a couple of windows that may be bullet proof glass. Behind that is probably 5-10k square feet of warehouse type looking racks of various products. One or two employees. Unclear when it is open.

This seems like a strange concept- if you want to go walk in and get items even if you have to order online (not a Door Dash Driver) why not allow that here? I understand not accepting cash but what difference does it make to them if you go in and pick up an app order vs. them handing the app order to the Door Dash driver?
Alpha8472

Re: Dash Mart

Post by Alpha8472 »

DoorDash makes money on delivery fees. Drivers make money on tips. Having customers pick up their own orders deprives the company of the delivery fee.

These dark convenience stores are a way to keep out shoplifters and run the stores with as little labor as possible. Random customers would make the store a mess.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

Delivery apps have taken a hit as people return to in person dining and restaurants have more power to negotiate fees. The apps can always let go of drivers, but still have to please investors. Convenience items seem like a logical extension, although they may have trouble generating large sales.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

Sounds like Gopuff