TransformCo (Sears/Kmart) Official Thread 2023: Finally the end?

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: TransformCo (Sears/Kmart) 2023: Finally the end?

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 5:38 pm
babs wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 11:55 am
jamcool wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 9:29 am Costco sells Kenmore appliances
Probably because Costco purchased the Sears delivery and install business and rebranded it. Right now Costco online maybe the best deal for appliances. The prices aren't any lower but they include enough extras to make a difference.
I have not heard very positive comments about that delivery and install business since Costco took it over. Based on what I hear, it sounds like it is still run by Sears (horribly).
Costco (Innovel) does not handle all of their deliveries. Some brands, including GE, are delivering direct to the customer. I purchased a GE washer and dryer set through Costco and did not know this. I also purchased an LG refrigerator. The Innovel folks came right on time (maybe a few minutes early) with the fridge and they were fantastic. GE never showed up at all and rescheduled after I waited 12 hours and multiple phone calls.

Eventually I did get the GE washer and dryer and had problems. GE rescheduled me multiple times on an exchange and never got it done. I called Costco even though it was past the 90 day return policy and it took them a day to get approval for return out of policy but they made GE come out and eat the washer and dryer. I purchased an LG set to replace. Innovel delivered that too, again early to appointment and just a fantastic, detail oriented crew. The delivery was very challenging because they basically only had an inch of leeway through the doorframe. The GE set had failed because they damaged them getting the units through the challenging hallway to my laundry room - apparently they damaged them (possibly dropped them - I wasn't there for that GE delivery unfortunately) as there were machine screws that had been replaced and they were not in correctly which caused the entire machine to shake on the pedestal.

Every single aspect of the Innovel delivery from Costco was great both times they were out.

I noticed that in reviews for GE appliances on Costco.com there are lots of negative comments about how horrible the delivery service was. I don't think those folks know that if you buy a GE appliance from anywhere that GE themselves will deliver and the experience will be horrific. I spoke to multiple supervisors at GE and they literally lied to me, then when I confronted them about the lie they basically just switched to "we can't help you." GE had the model in stock for delivery in 11 days, yet magically they kept saying I would need to wait another month for an exchange due to out of stock. I asked if they are lying to me, or lying to the customer who can place an order right now for delivery in 11 days - because clearly someone is being lied to. I did send a note to the Costco escalation team and told them that they really need to drop GE as a brand as they reflect back poorly on Costco. I think this is why you are hearing their delivery experience is bad - they can't control the 3rd party requirements for brands like GE, but neither can any other retailer.

I purchased a stove from Best Buy, their delivery was good. Purchased a backordered dishwasher and installation from Lowe's. It arrived two weeks earlier than expected and it was a trouble free experience. None of them were particularly great.

I purchased a garage freezer from Home Depot. My God. They are the absolute worst at delivery and policy. Their return policy is same as a new car, once it arrives its yours period. 48 hours to request an exchange and after that they couldn't care less if it explodes like a bomb. Communication was terrible. It arrived late, scratched and dented. They told me if I refused it they were out of stock and I could have to wait two months. I asked how much of a deduction they would make for the scratch and dent which were on the side and not really terrible. They called a supervisor and after going around ten minutes they asked if I would agree to a $75 refund. I accepted and they said all I need to do is call the customer service line for Home Depot and they will refund over the phone. Called Home Depot an hour later and they refused to honor the agreed upon $75 and claimed that they were not called and they were not responsible for a verbal agreement with the delivery crew. Said "they aren't Home Depot so they can't agree to anything on our behalf." Then they tried to offer me $20 instead. I told them that I'm sure they get many customers who are capable of raising hell, but few actually do it and I am the one that will find a way to be on the phone directly with the CEO today if they don't back off the BS and give me the $75 we agreed to. It took nearly two hours on the phone and multiple supervisors and managers before someone would finally agree to the damned $75. I guarantee that they spent at least 3 times that in payroll for the various supervisors and managers who all wanted to rip me off. The final insult was that the person who finally agreed to the refund could not do it over the phone and had to leave it in the system so I had to drive back to the store to get it. I will never buy so much as a bag of nuts from Home Depot again.

Without a doubt Costco's Innovel delivery was far above everyone else in speed, quality, professionalism, and punctuality. And they're the only one that has a fair return policy that will stand behind your purchase. Costco first every time for appliances.
Alpha8472

Re: TransformCo (Sears/Kmart) Official Thread 2023: Finally the end?

Post by Alpha8472 »

I have had 2 Sears refrigerators and both were terrible. They slowly leaked due to defects and warped my kitchen flooring. Sears did not accept any responsibility. I need to get a new one. I will definitely try Costco and LG.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Alpha8472 wrote: January 4th, 2023, 5:29 pm I have had 2 Sears refrigerators and both were terrible. They slowly leaked due to defects and warped my kitchen flooring. Sears did not accept any responsibility. I need to get a new one. I will definitely try Costco and LG.
The only issue I have with Costco is they have the same wild pricing fluctuations that plague the entire appliance industry. They swing up and down in price faster than the stock market. So if you can possibly wait for a sale then usually they are at their best prices around the traditional retail "holiday weekend sales" such as Presidents Day weekend etc.

The LG set I bought was a Gigantic front load washer and dryer set with the pedestals and the pedestal washer (basically a mini washer under the washer). These things are probably overkill for most households, heck they probably don't fit in most laundry rooms and barely squeezed into mine. But I got them for $2799 before a $250 off any appliance purchase of $2500 or more deal in November. Plus I'll get my executive cash back and Costco card cash back bringing the total down about another 4%. Last week same set was $3899. So if you can pick what you want and study the pricing to see what the best deal is then you'll know when to place the order.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

Funny enough, my folks' washing machine broke down a few days ago and isn't easily DIY-Fixable like I try to do to most of their appliances. Washing machines these days seem to get worse the higher in price you climb, so I suggested they get the cheapest one possible, which I found to be a 'Kenmore' top load washer at Costco. (It's just a rebadge of the very basic Amana/Whirlpool unit that every big box carries, but its an old design that really has rave reviews in comparison to more expensive models). At $449 with delivery and all included, it's a steal (I think that sale price ended today though). We'll see how delivery goes. (And hopefully the appliance outlives the still Sears-backed? product Warranty!)
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: TransformCo (Sears/Kmart) 2023: Finally the end?

Post by mbz321 »

Super S wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 7:34 am I also wonder how well the DieHard brand is doing with Advance/Carquest. Not all parts stores offer battery installation due to liability issues, and with the exception of chains such as Pep boys, typically parts stores do not have auto centers. Advance/Carquest has spotty coverage in some areas and these days there are better choices for the DIY customer.
They seem to be pushing the brand pretty hard. I've also noticed some lower-end, but good enough tool items on the shelves sporting the DieHard brand. The batteries are pretty pricey though compared to alternatives like Costco or Walmart, but that's the auto parts retail industry in general. It would be interesting to see if their battery sales have increased though vs. sales of the previous house-branded battery, not really sure if the average person really pays attention to such things when you need a car battery quickly and you go wherever is most convenient.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

mbz321 wrote: January 4th, 2023, 9:55 pm Funny enough, my folks' washing machine broke down a few days ago and isn't easily DIY-Fixable like I try to do to most of their appliances. Washing machines these days seem to get worse the higher in price you climb, so I suggested they get the cheapest one possible, which I found to be a 'Kenmore' top load washer at Costco. (It's just a rebadge of the very basic Amana/Whirlpool unit that every big box carries, but its an old design that really has rave reviews in comparison to more expensive models). At $449 with delivery and all included, it's a steal (I think that sale price ended today though). We'll see how delivery goes. (And hopefully the appliance outlives the still Sears-backed? product Warranty!)
I am curious about the washers and dryers under that Kenmore name and who is really manufacturing them. The refrigerators are being made by LG, at least the better models that have water filters and air filters. They're the exact same part and it even says works with Kenmore models. I found some sellers on Amazon who were selling the Kenmore branded air filters 4 for $9.99 while the LG branded one was $14.99 for one. Figure they cleaned out some liquidation sales, or they shoplifted them. Decided not to go with that. I went with a 3rd party air filter because it basically is the same fabric as a face mask just cut into a square in a plastic box, seems to really not do much at all. I did not consider anything but an authentic LG water filter because I figure if a 3rd party one leaks I'm going to get a destroyed fridge and a flooded house since it is placed in the ceiling compartment of the refrigerator.

So I wonder if Whirlpool is still making Kenmore or if it is all LG now?
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

https://www.cpbj.com/sears-decades-long ... to-an-end/

Under a paywall,but we can soon scratch Camp Hill.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

norcalriteaidclerk wrote: January 5th, 2023, 12:20 am https://www.cpbj.com/sears-decades-long ... to-an-end/

Under a paywall,but we can soon scratch Camp Hill.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Camp Hill was a Sears Appliances and Mattresses format store. Corporate operated. Basically like a Sears Dealer but with Mattresses too.
It appears as if it replaced or was a relocation from a full size Sears in the same mall.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

ClownLoach wrote: January 5th, 2023, 12:18 am
mbz321 wrote: January 4th, 2023, 9:55 pm Funny enough, my folks' washing machine broke down a few days ago and isn't easily DIY-Fixable like I try to do to most of their appliances. Washing machines these days seem to get worse the higher in price you climb, so I suggested they get the cheapest one possible, which I found to be a 'Kenmore' top load washer at Costco. (It's just a rebadge of the very basic Amana/Whirlpool unit that every big box carries, but its an old design that really has rave reviews in comparison to more expensive models). At $449 with delivery and all included, it's a steal (I think that sale price ended today though). We'll see how delivery goes. (And hopefully the appliance outlives the still Sears-backed? product Warranty!)
I am curious about the washers and dryers under that Kenmore name and who is really manufacturing them. The refrigerators are being made by LG, at least the better models that have water filters and air filters. They're the exact same part and it even says works with Kenmore models. I found some sellers on Amazon who were selling the Kenmore branded air filters 4 for $9.99 while the LG branded one was $14.99 for one. Figure they cleaned out some liquidation sales, or they shoplifted them. Decided not to go with that. I went with a 3rd party air filter because it basically is the same fabric as a face mask just cut into a square in a plastic box, seems to really not do much at all. I did not consider anything but an authentic LG water filter because I figure if a 3rd party one leaks I'm going to get a destroyed fridge and a flooded house since it is placed in the ceiling compartment of the refrigerator.

LG, along with Samsung and Frigidaire/Electrolux are considered the worst brands in appliance quality according to appliance repairmen
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

ClownLoach wrote: January 5th, 2023, 12:18 am

I believe LG was making the frontload machines for Sears, not sure if they still area. The basic 'old school' machines still seem to be made by Whirlpool. The model numbers used to 'decode' who made what, but no idea if that is still accurate these days.

As for the filters, funny story as a few years ago I was at a Sears liquidation less than an hour before they shut the doors and everything was like 90% off+. What was left was a bunch of random Kenmore branded fridge water filters....I scooped up a bunch and flipped them on eBay for a decent profit.