TransformCo (Sears/Kmart) Official Thread 2023: Finally the end?

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

TransformCo (Sears/Kmart) Official Thread 2023: Finally the end?

Post by submariner »

Based on data available as of 27 August 2023, here's where we stand:

Kmart - 6 total: 2 stores in the 50 States, 1 in Guam, and 3 in the USVI.
• Miami, FL (banished to its former Garden Center)
Westwood, NJ (Closed October)
• Bridgehampton, NY
• Tamuning, GU
Frederiksted, VI (Closed May)
• St. Croix, VI
• St. Thomas (Tutu Park Mall), VI
• St. Thomas (Lockhart Gardens), VI

Sears - 12 total: 11 in the 50 states (1 re-opened, 10 "full-line" stores), and 1 "full-line" store in Puerto Rico remain.
Burbank, CA
• Concord, CA
• Stockton, CA
• Whittier, CA
Fort Collins, CO (Sears Appliance & Mattress) (Closed 18 June)
• Miami, FL
• Orlando, FL
• Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Overland Park, KS (Sears Home & Life) (Closed May)
Lafayette, LA (Sears Home & Life) (Closed May)
Frederick, MD (Closed 15 January)
• Braintree, MA
• Jersey City, NJ
Greensboro, NC (Closed April)
Camp Hill, PA (Sears Appliance & Mattress) (Closed May)
• El Paso, TX
Pharr, TX (Sears Appliance & Mattress) (Closed May)
• Tukwila, WA
• Hato Rey, PR
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

TransformCo (Sears/Kmart) 2023: Finally the end?

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

Sears Hometown and the appliance division is now becoming a thing of the past.
Sears has 13 mainline stores left. They also still have two Home & Life stores, and four "Appliance and mattress" stores.
As for Kmart: eight stores left.
I'm shocked they've made it this far, and I'd be even more shocked if they make it to 2024.

This could be the end for the Sears brand. As for Kmart, just sell the territorial US stores to Walmart and get it over with.
storewanderer

Re: TransformCo (Sears/Kmart) 2023: Finally the end?

Post by storewanderer »

They are hiring for a distribution center in Lawrence, KS. Job posting on Transformco site. This is a previously closed Kmart distribution center but Innovel had been using space there (that was the logistics division that Costco bought from them).

Not sure what they would have to distribute from Lawrence, KS considering there are no stores anywhere near there.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote:Sears Hometown and the appliance division is now becoming a thing of the past.
Sears has 13 mainline stores left. They also still have two Home & Life stores, and four "Appliance and mattress" stores.
As for Kmart: eight stores left.
I'm shocked they've made it this far, and I'd be even more shocked if they make it to 2024.

This could be the end for the Sears brand. As for Kmart, just sell the territorial US stores to Walmart and get it over with.
There are actually only three appliances mattresses locations with the Honolulu closure.Frederick, Maryland closes within the next month or two which would leave twelve full-line Sears locations;speaking of which three remain in California (Concord, Stockton, Whittier)plus tukwila which accounts for their last Pacific Northwest foothold.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
Super S

Post by Super S »

There is one Sears full-line store left somewhat close to me at Southcenter in Tukwila, WA. This location is still open but I can't figure out why. The entire third floor has been closed off, and merchandise has been consolidated into the remaining two floors. The selection is dismal in many categories Sears was once strong in: Tools, appliances, electronics (not sure this store even has electronics of any kind left) and the clothing and other merchandise is mostly lower quality, off-brand stuff. This location also has had a constant problem with a moldy smell in the A/C system for a few years now. This store really is not a good fit for the mall any more, and in all honesty, I am surprised it is still open.

While I have noticed that Lowe's is carrying a lot of Craftsman tools and stuff like lawn and garden products, they aren't carrying the Kenmore brand that I know of. Not sure if the Kenmore brand really has much value at this point if it isn't being backed by a major retailer. Even in the times of buying online, many people still prefer making large purchases in person, or at least want to see the configurations of things like refrigerators and stoves in person before buying. I also wonder how well the DieHard brand is doing with Advance/Carquest. Not all parts stores offer battery installation due to liability issues, and with the exception of chains such as Pep boys, typically parts stores do not have auto centers. Advance/Carquest has spotty coverage in some areas and these days there are better choices for the DIY customer.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Costco sells Kenmore appliances
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

jamcool wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 9:29 am Costco sells Kenmore appliances
Probably because Costco purchased the Sears delivery and install business and rebranded it. Right now Costco online maybe the best deal for appliances. The prices aren't any lower but they include enough extras to make a difference.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

babs wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 11:55 am
Probably because Costco purchased the Sears delivery and install business and rebranded it. Right now Costco online maybe the best deal for appliances. The prices aren't any lower but they include enough extras to make a difference.
I have not heard very positive comments about that delivery and install business since Costco took it over. Based on what I hear, it sounds like it is still run by Sears (horribly).
Super S

Post by Super S »

They may sell them, but do not carry the full line-up. And they are not on display in the stores. Costco historically has leaned toward brand names and their own Kirkland Signature brand on some appliances, which like Kenmore, are made by major manufacturers such as Whirlpool.

Craftsman tool sets sometimes show up at Costco warehouses but not on a regular basis.
mjhale
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Re: TransformCo (Sears/Kmart) Official Thread 2023: Finally the end?

Post by mjhale »

Frederick, MD Sears is closing January 15th. I think this was posted towards the end of the 2022 thread as well.