Tom Thumb to enter Waxahachie

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Tom Thumb to enter Waxahachie

Post by storewanderer »

biggins wrote: February 7th, 2023, 6:46 am H‑E‑B isn’t taking Tom Thumb coming to Waxahachie lying down, they have announced an expansion of their existing Waxahachie store to 127,000 SF and that it will transform into their Plus! format. Interesting on two fronts in that we haven’t seen the larger format in North Texas outside of the Burleson store and this marks the second expansion of the Waxahachie H‑E‑B in ten years.

HEB announces plan for Waxahachie store expansion
The concept of Tom Thumb adding a store is largely a joke anyway. The store will be too small and already outdated for the type of new store Kroger wants to have. It will never be able to compete with the upgraded HEB in any way other than location.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

pseudo3d wrote: February 7th, 2023, 1:45 pm
veteran+ wrote: February 7th, 2023, 9:38 am
biggins wrote: February 7th, 2023, 6:46 am H‑E‑B isn’t taking Tom Thumb coming to Waxahachie lying down, they have announced an expansion of their existing Waxahachie store to 127,000 SF and that it will transform into their Plus! format. Interesting on two fronts in that we haven’t seen the larger format in North Texas outside of the Burleson store and this marks the second expansion of the Waxahachie H‑E‑B in ten years.

HEB announces plan for Waxahachie store expansion
You guys are so lucky in Texas with these huge stores!

8-)
Bigger isn't necessarily better. I don't see anyone getting excited over 150k+ square feet Walmarts...
I would not be excited with ANY size Walmart ;)

I'm a one stop shopper. Bigger with nice wide aisles and easily navigated, rules. Bigger with awesome variety and copious quality fresh and attended service counters of all kinds, rock.

One stop and it's all done, love that!
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

veteran+ wrote: February 8th, 2023, 5:56 am
pseudo3d wrote: February 7th, 2023, 1:45 pm
veteran+ wrote: February 7th, 2023, 9:38 am

You guys are so lucky in Texas with these huge stores!

8-)
Bigger isn't necessarily better. I don't see anyone getting excited over 150k+ square feet Walmarts...

I'm a one stop shopper. Bigger with nice wide aisles and easily navigated, rules. Bigger with awesome variety and copious quality fresh and attended service counters of all kinds, rock.

Ugly stores with concrete floors and warehouse ceilings, delis aren't full-service and a lot of it is just pre-pack, significant parts of the parking lot are blocked off for their pickup service, famously non-union, store shelves are taken up by its own store brand (sometimes not having the real brand entirely), anti-competitive practices, their lower-end stores are quite dreadful, anti-competitive practices...

Now tell me if I describing Walmart or H-E-B. :D
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Wal Mart in Mexico is a bit more along the lines you describe. Large bakery, service meat/seafood, larger produce departments.

You may have liked the Super Kmarts in their early years in the 90's, they were as you describe. Deli kiosk, bakery kiosk, in addition to the wall service counters for each (all staffed), separate staffed service meat, separate from the staffed service seafood.. they tried..... for a couple years in the 90's.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: February 8th, 2023, 11:03 pm

Wal Mart in Mexico is a bit more along the lines you describe. Large bakery, service meat/seafood, larger produce departments.

You may have liked the Super Kmarts in their early years in the 90's, they were as you describe. Deli kiosk, bakery kiosk, in addition to the wall service counters for each (all staffed), separate staffed service meat, separate from the staffed service seafood.. they tried..... for a couple years in the 90's.
Yes, I remember those Super Kmarts. They were really nice until they were not :cry:

Walmart on the other hand is a different situation for me. I don't care where they are or if they are giving everything away for free. I will not step a foot in that store or anything related to it.

Peace out!

🖖
Attachments
LouLignonGIF.gif
LouLignonGIF.gif (302.75 KiB) Viewed 923 times
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: February 9th, 2023, 9:47 am

Yes, I remember those Super Kmarts. They were really nice until they were not :cry:

Walmart on the other hand is a different situation for me. I don't care where they are or if they are giving everything away for free. I will not step a foot in that store or anything related to it.
When Wal Mart gets into a heavy cycle of clearance giveaways I spend a lot of time in their stores. The past few weeks we are in what I call an "off cycle." I do not miss spending hours in Wal Mart during these "off cycle" periods.

There are some stores I miss going into if I don't go into one for a week or two but Wal Mart definitely isn't one of those. Also Home Depot or Lowes (which I've had to go to a couple times lately looking for specific items) I would not miss if I never entered again. Still looking for that gutter sealent in bay 6, Lowes...
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

veteran+ wrote: February 9th, 2023, 9:47 am
storewanderer wrote: February 8th, 2023, 11:03 pm

So is H-E-B attractive to you because "sort of like Walmart, but not Walmart?"

I mean, I guess that H-E-B is "not Walmart" (not exactly a ringing endorsement) but while the grocery side is decidedly better (mostly as far as meat/seafood and produce go), the non-food side, even H-E-B Plus stores, is hot trash when you compare departments one-to-one.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

pseudo3d wrote: February 9th, 2023, 6:23 pm

I mean, I guess that H-E-B is "not Walmart" (not exactly a ringing endorsement) but while the grocery side is decidedly better (mostly as far as meat/seafood and produce go), the non-food side, even H-E-B Plus stores, is hot trash when you compare departments one-to-one.
I consider Meijer to have somewhat of a similar problem. The non food side of Meijer is just rather lacking. Really solid "a little better than discount" grocer on the grocery side with a mix and operation to compete with any other grocer, but non food side... just seems like something is missing. Some categories are better than others. Meijer to me is the thing that if they just got the non food better could be a powerhouse and expand nationwide quickly. I wonder what would happen if you took a Meijer grocery side and attached a Target non-food side to it. I don't like Target much but I think that would be a very powerful and successful store.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote: February 9th, 2023, 6:26 pm
pseudo3d wrote: February 9th, 2023, 6:23 pm

I consider Meijer to have somewhat of a similar problem. The non food side of Meijer is just rather lacking. Really solid "a little better than discount" grocer on the grocery side with a mix and operation to compete with any other grocer, but non food side... just seems like something is missing. Some categories are better than others. Meijer to me is the thing that if they just got the non food better could be a powerhouse and expand nationwide quickly. I wonder what would happen if you took a Meijer grocery side and attached a Target non-food side to it. I don't like Target much but I think that would be a very powerful and successful store.
A "little lacking" is not even what I'd call H-E-B Plus' departments. Can't speak for Meijer, but when you look at H-E-B Plus these days....the toys department is better than most supermarkets (there are LEGOs) but it lacks bicycles and other toys that Walmart has. The electronics department is pathetic (if you want flash drives, you'll have to settle for a tiny, off-brand version), no video games, phones, computers, etc. and is looking like it will be eliminated entirely. No sporting goods--the only thing is a large display of their store brand high-end coolers. The H-E-B Plus has a garden center (which is good enough to be a "little lacking")...a small selection of apparel (mostly cheap women's clothing and sports team apparel, no pants, underwear, socks, seasonal clothing, or shoes)....no domestics....cookware tends to be composed of an overpriced store brand....no media department beyond the discounted DVDs....no automotive or hardware besides what grocery stores usually stock....there's a large accessories department but I don't ever pay attention to that category and can't say much for it...no jewelry...no housewares beyond a few home decor items....

Additionally, the Plus stores always come off as more downscale than other "nice" H-E-B stores.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: February 9th, 2023, 6:26 pm I consider Meijer to have somewhat of a similar problem. The non food side of Meijer is just rather lacking. Really solid "a little better than discount" grocer on the grocery side with a mix and operation to compete with any other grocer, but non food side... just seems like something is missing. Some categories are better than others.
In terms of grocery market share, Meijer steamrolls Walmart in Michigan.
I expect Meijer to start expanding into Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Iowa, and even Kansas City in the next decade.