Subway Considers Sale

retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Subway Considers Sale

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

Going back on topic, I think YUM would be the best fit. Both YUM brands and Subway have lousy quality.
I think the Subway Series was a good idea though, makes jobs easier for the employees. They are still inconsistent, as they aren't a strict franchise. A strict franchise is why McDonald's is successful, why not for Subway?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: January 14th, 2023, 1:35 pm Going back on topic, I think YUM would be the best fit. Both YUM brands and Subway have lousy quality.
I think the Subway Series was a good idea though, makes jobs easier for the employees. They are still inconsistent, as they aren't a strict franchise. A strict franchise is why McDonald's is successful, why not for Subway?
I have a very different view of McDonalds with how they are around Reno/Sparks (read the reviews on Google or Yelp...), and think they are very similar to McDonalds in their lack of control/consistency.

In some ways Subway is as strict as McDonalds. They require uniform purchases of equipment, they require all franchisees to use their dictated point of sale system, they have a commissary they require every food item to be sold from, they have ongoing decor/remodel programs they force the franchisees to implement...

Where I think Subway falls off is operational quality. McDonalds if run to the McDonalds formula runs like a tight well oiled machine, but it takes a lot of training and a fair number of employees. I don't think Subway has such a well defined training program or restaurant operations blueprint.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: January 14th, 2023, 1:10 pm
storewanderer wrote: January 14th, 2023, 1:07 pm Kroger has always struggled to run a custom sandwich program. Promising programs at Ralphs and QFC that should have been rolled out chainwide seem to have been partially scrapped over at Ralphs but still used at some stores and still used at QFC. This may alleviate their problems with that.
Do any Marketplace/Fred Meyer stores have a Subway? It would make sense, considering the endless amount of Walmarts with a Subway. I think a few Real Canadian Superstores may also have a Subway.
No Fred Meyer or Marketplace has a Subway as far as I know. Very unlikely to ever happen as they would view it as competition for the deli.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

Super S wrote: January 14th, 2023, 4:49 am
Subway has very few standalone locations, and the few standalone locations I have seen have no consistency to building design/layout, no consistency in whether or not they have a drive-thru, etc. This suggests that the standalone buildings are owned/leased by the franchisee and not Subway itself.
Depends where you live. I see very few Subways around me or in Ohio that aren't standalone.

Subway is, financially, one of the easiest franchises to get. Unfortunately, there is no geographic exclusivity to the franchises and a franchisee easily can find themselves with plenty of competition from other franchises. I don't know how much training and support corporate provides, but I'd imagine franchises are stuck between this sink/swim model and having to use Subway's commissary, follow their merchandising, etc.

New management will need to whittle down the number of franchises and figure out how to have better locations, as well as upgrade the quality of what they sell.

Way back when they were still mostly in Connecticut and nearby states, they provided good value and were able to take advantage of the slow disappearance of corner/strip mall independent sub shops and the gradual extinction of the traditional Connecticut grinder (grilled sub), which is now almost impossible to find. They had some regional competition here and there, but there was really no national chain competition for quite awhile. Even though some chains like Quiznos ultimately struggled, they now have plenty of competition and less room to maneuver. I can't remember the last time I had one of their subs, but they reached a point of being inedible and I haven't heard anything that would tempt me back.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

buckguy wrote: January 15th, 2023, 2:01 pm

Way back when they were still mostly in Connecticut and nearby states, they provided good value and were able to take advantage of the slow disappearance of corner/strip mall independent sub shops and the gradual extinction of the traditional Connecticut grinder (grilled sub), which is now almost impossible to find. They had some regional competition here and there, but there was really no national chain competition for quite awhile. Even though some chains like Quiznos ultimately struggled, they now have plenty of competition and less room to maneuver. I can't remember the last time I had one of their subs, but they reached a point of being inedible and I haven't heard anything that would tempt me back.
I thought Subway was a terrible product even in the 90's. I think it is worse now, which is somewhat hard to imagine.