Consumers' Checkbook survey of Puget Sound grocery stores

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Consumers' Checkbook survey of Puget Sound grocery stores

Post by Brian Lutz »

https://www.checkbook.org/puget-sound-a ... ality-2058

Read the full article for all the details and a table of price/quality comparisons, but a few takeaways:

- Grocery Outlet, WinCo and Walmart had the lowest prices (all at least 22% below the average), although with Grocery Outlet's limited selection you aren't likely to be able to do all your shopping there;
- Fred Meyer is next lowest at around 14% below the average;
- Target's prices are around 8% below the average, but their produce tends to be expensive;
- QFC has the highest prices among traditional grocery chains; 41% higher than WinCo;
- Smaller stores such as Metropolitan Market, Thriftway, PCC and Ballard Market rated highest in overall quality, but are all among the most expensive stores;
- QFC and Whole Foods both underperform their high prices;
- Safeway and Albertson's performed rather poorly on both prices and quality.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Consumers' Checkbook survey of Puget Sound grocery stores

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

I'd guess I'd shop at Metropolitan Market and WinCo if I were to live in the Puget Sound.
There is no wonder Walmart is falling behind in the area: WinCo has better prices and quality. As for Fred Meyer, you get more quality for your money compared to Walmart.
Super S

Post by Super S »

I always wonder if those types of surveys are done using a loyalty card or if it is strictly shelf pricing that is used.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Super S wrote: January 17th, 2023, 8:00 am I always wonder if those types of surveys are done using a loyalty card or if it is strictly shelf pricing that is used.
Also, not sure if they actually buy the items or just look at the prices on the shelves. That could be a bit of a difference these days as well, since many stores seem to have trouble getting all their sale pricing posted, particularly if you hit a store the first day or two of a sale (likely the same issue of lacking help as many other things).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

These surveys that show different pricing at Albertsons and Safeway I find very strange...

Unless they shopped one store on Tuesday and another store on Wednesday after the ad changed or something.