Pepsi replaces Sierra Mist with Starry

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
pseudo3d

Re: Pepsi replaces Sierra Mist with Starry

Post by pseudo3d »

Alpha8472 wrote: January 21st, 2023, 3:04 am I saw some reviews of Starry and people seem to like it better than Sprite or 7-Up. Sierra Mist was made with real sugar. Starry is made with high fructose corn syrup. This gives Starry a sharper flavor. People say Starry has a more natural lemon lime flavor. 7-Up has an artificial cleaning fluid lemon flavor.

Starry is trying to appeal to Gen-Z with its colorful can and graffiti inspired graphics.

The new formula seems to be the best tasting lemon lime soda.

Ever notice how Icees and Slurpees are Coke flavors? You never see a Pepsi flavored Icee or Slurpee. In fact, I have never seen a clear Slurpee or a Sprite Slurpee.
I have seen Pepsi ICEEs, as well as Mountain Dew ones, but they are rare. Buc-ee's has them and 7-Eleven has done Mountain Dew ones in the past, including Pitch Black.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

I think the soda market is a duopoly at this point, there isn't room for more than 2 brands in each segment. Just as Coke and Pepsi have completely occupied the cola segment, Sprite and 7-Up have completely occupied the lemon-lime soda segment. Starry is interesting and I will probably try it once, but I just don't see it being successful. Why are they marketing it to a younger audience when that audience is less likely to drink soda in the first place? If Pepsi wants to win the Gen Z market, they should invest some resources into improving/expanding Gatorade and Tropicana.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

HCal wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 12:59 am I think the soda market is a duopoly at this point, there isn't room for more than 2 brands in each segment. Just as Coke and Pepsi have completely occupied the cola segment, Sprite and 7-Up have completely occupied the lemon-lime soda segment. Starry is interesting and I will probably try it once, but I just don't see it being successful. Why are they marketing it to a younger audience when that audience is less likely to drink soda in the first place? If Pepsi wants to win the Gen Z market, they should invest some resources into improving/expanding Gatorade and Tropicana.
Knock Knock - I think RC would like to have a word with you here.

Not that it is as common as the other two, but it does stick around in a number of stores, at least in this area.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

BillyGr wrote:
HCal wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 12:59 am I think the soda market is a duopoly at this point, there isn't room for more than 2 brands in each segment. Just as Coke and Pepsi have completely occupied the cola segment, Sprite and 7-Up have completely occupied the lemon-lime soda segment. Starry is interesting and I will probably try it once, but I just don't see it being successful. Why are they marketing it to a younger audience when that audience is less likely to drink soda in the first place? If Pepsi wants to win the Gen Z market, they should invest some resources into improving/expanding Gatorade and Tropicana.

Not that it is as common as the other two, but it does stick around in a number of stores, at least in this area.
In fact, I think RC Cola drinkers at the FTC had a hand at preventing PepsiCo from acquiring the US 7-up rights in the mid-1980's(though they did succeed in international territories as noted above).The company's first lemon-lime soda product (teem)was introduced in the 1970's but was replaced stateside by slice in the mid-1980's after the blocked 7-up us acquisition.Also,if PepsiCo wasn't blocked from acquiring 7-up US,we would have never gotten the 'cool spot' we would have had too settle for Fido Dido.

Personally though I'm a Coke products person.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

I know RC Cola shows up in WinCo stores around here now, but until recently I hadn't seen it sold anywhere near where I lived in years. The brand is owned by Keurig Dr Pepper currently in the US, with a Filipino company owning the brand internationally. it seems to be left up to the individual bottlers whether they produce it or not, and given the fact that KDP products are produced and bottled by Pepsi distributors in a lot of places it makes RC even less common.

One example is Admiral Beverage which covers much of the inland portions of the Western US, producing Pepsi products in 6 states (ID, OR, UT, MT, WY and SD), KDP products in Alaska (which seems to be the only area where they produce RC) and distribute various beers in Utah and New Mexico. Given the fact that they also produce and distribute 7-Up it makes Sierra Mist rather uncommon in stores. KDP does have their own bottlers in some places (there's one in Spokane for example) so those would presumably be where stores like WinCo get RC from.

I haven't gone looking for it any time recently but I'm pretty sure takeout pizza places like Little Caesar's are the only places I've seen Sierra Mist in bottles recently, and I'm pretty sure those have already switched over to Starry.
Groceteria
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

Post by Groceteria »

Clearly they spared no expense on packaging design. I opted against buying one.
1AD635FD-D6FE-43A8-B5C1-6ED7CB68FA38.jpeg
Last edited by Groceteria on January 23rd, 2023, 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

Teem actually dates back to the 1960s, and was inexplicably popular in Buffalo/western New York. Read that little factoid in one of the Coca-Cola history books.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Groceteria wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 4:09 pm Clearly they spared no expense on packageing design. I opted against buying one.1AD635FD-D6FE-43A8-B5C1-6ED7CB68FA38.jpeg
Hopefully Grocery Outlet has space for all of this Starry a week before it goes out of code. Even then at 4 for $1 it will be a hard sell.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

Not sure what to think of Starry... I think the Signature Select lemon-lime soda tastes better than both Sprite and Sierra Mist.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

norcalriteaidclerk wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 1:35 pm
BillyGr wrote:

In fact, I think RC Cola drinkers at the FTC had a hand at preventing PepsiCo from acquiring the US 7-up rights in the mid-1980's(though they did succeed in international territories as noted above).The company's first lemon-lime soda product (teem)was introduced in the 1970's but was replaced stateside by slice in the mid-1980's after the blocked 7-up us acquisition.Also,if PepsiCo wasn't blocked from acquiring 7-up US,we would have never gotten the 'cool spot' we would have had too settle for Fido Dido.

Personally though I'm a Coke products person.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Coke attempted to buy Dr Pepper the same time Pepsi offered to buy 7up. The FTC turned that down also-although Coke bought the overseas Dr Pepper assets (supposedly Dr Pepper sold outside the US has a slightly different taste)