Pepsi replaces Sierra Mist with Starry

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Pepsi replaces Sierra Mist with Starry

Post by storewanderer »

Dr. Pepper is sort of weird because the bottling rights vary in some cases by state line. My favorite is out in the NV/UT border a town called Wendover. If you go to the Wendover, UT side (a couple of gas stations) you have Dr. Pepper that is bottled by Coke. If you go to the Wendover, NV side (Smiths, truck stops, etc.) you have Dr. Pepper that is bottled by 7-Up/Dr. Pepper.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

jamcool wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 7:06 pm
norcalriteaidclerk wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 1:35 pm
BillyGr wrote:
Knock Knock - I think RC would like to have a word with you here.

Not that it is as common as the other two, but it does stick around in a number of stores, at least in this area.
In fact, I think RC Cola drinkers at the FTC had a hand at preventing PepsiCo from acquiring the US 7-up rights in the mid-1980's(though they did succeed in international territories as noted above).The company's first lemon-lime soda product (teem)was introduced in the 1970's but was replaced stateside by slice in the mid-1980's after the blocked 7-up us acquisition.Also,if PepsiCo wasn't blocked from acquiring 7-up US,we would have never gotten the 'cool spot' we would have had too settle for Fido Dido.

Personally though I'm a Coke products person.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Coke attempted to buy Dr Pepper the same time Pepsi offered to buy 7up. The FTC turned that down also-although Coke bought the overseas Dr Pepper assets (supposedly Dr Pepper sold outside the US has a slightly different taste)
Wow..............I did not know that. Why would Coke want Dr. Pepper when they had Mr. Pibb? I know Pepper sold way more than Pibb but why not promote Pibb more to combat Pepper? I actually like Pibb's flavor over Pepper.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

This week's Fred Meyer ad is hilarious (not sure if other Kroger divisions show this as well).
3/$14 on Coca-Cola Pepsi or 7Up. The products are in a stack.
Coca-cola's familiar red box is on the bottom
NEW Starry is in the middle
and 7Up is right on top.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

Realize that bottling of soft drinks is separated from the manufacturer. It's something like the difference between the TV networks (ABC/CBS/NBC) and local stations.

The bottling side dates back 125 years, and there are small companies that are STILL in the business. They have the right to sell (or collect a toll/royalty on) all of that brand soft drink in their defined areas (can be as small as a city, generally not smaller than a county, though). 20 years ago there was still a Coke bottler in Tarpon Springs, FL...everywhere else was covered by one of the big bottlers, but they were still there with a small building on the outskirts of town. They would buy (effectively) everything from the bigger bottler that they didn't bottle themselves (i.e. they might bottle their own 20 oz drinks but buy-in all the cans and big bottles from the nearby big guy). It complicates things a mite for a big (Publix/WM/Target/etc) retailer in an area--generally there is a small royalty paid to the local bottler for all the volume sold in the chain stores in the area (which are all supplied by the Big Company).

Each brand of Coke and Pepsi and 7Up can in truth be separated from the other brands (this occurred in the Carolinas where Mountain Dew's distribution doesn't necessarily go along with the rest of the Pepsi bottlers). In some places, Snapple/RC/7Up owns their own bottlers; other places they have to have one of the local bottlers pick up the products.

There's an interesting little bottler in Breese, IL (about 35 miles east of St. Louis) that bottles Ski, an orange/lemon drink akin (but better than) Mountain Dew...it's got good graphics and is distributed into St. Louis, but not much further. https://excelbottling.com/