Sam's Club Adding 30+ New Stores in First Expansion in years

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Sam's Club Adding 30+ New Stores in First Expansion in years

Post by ClownLoach »

Also worth mentioning that Sam's seems to be changing their assortment again to follow in the footsteps of Costco around B2B type product. Costco quit selling most of the resale package type candy bars years ago and made them only available at the Business Centers. Sam's is also shifting out of selling those candy bars except for mixes marketed to consumers (like the tray of 12 Hershey bars, 12 Kit Kat and 12 Reeses) as well as the couple aisles they used to stock vending machine snacks in. They still have for example the handle box of about 50 snack size bags of Frito-Lay chips, but not the version with a larger count and plain wrap for a liquor store or vending machine. It appears that they'll just carry more consumer focused products in the warehouses and these other items move online. I asked because they stopped carrying my bulk pack of chewing gum which was the same tray of 15 packs that would be on a supermarket checklane. Beer and wine expand to absorb the vending machine pack chips/snacks space. Appears seasonal goods take the candy space, including more seasonal candies. All more consumer focused items.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

That screwing over Fresh & Easy was ALL their fault.

The same British Bozos that chose to locate the majority of their stores in hidden areas or with impossible ingress and egress or NO turn lanes or turn signals were the same Bozos trying to arrogantly negotiate around the self checkout liquor issue.

:x :x :x :x :x
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

veteran+ wrote: January 31st, 2023, 2:53 pm That screwing over Fresh & Easy was ALL their fault.

The same British Bozos that chose to locate the majority of their stores in hidden areas or with impossible ingress and egress or NO turn lanes or turn signals were the same Bozos trying to arrogantly negotiate around the self checkout liquor issue.

:x :x :x :x :x
I totally get it, I'm sure if the Tesco clowns weren't so unpleasant to deal with they could have worked out a solution. Instead they pissed off the state and opened the door for legislation to prevent sale of liquor at a self checkout register. I suspect the way Amazon is going around it is arguing that their customers aren't using a self checkout register but instead devices like dash carts and such so the law doesn't apply to them. Again I'm pretty sure Sam's will figure out how to use Scan and Go with liquor in California although they might get called out for it because the unions would love to phone in complaints just to mess with them.

When I was in Las Vegas I noticed the Sam's there had probably 5 times the number of Scan and Go savings offers of a California store, basically everything that you could pick up with two hands and fit in a cart. At a California store most of those offers would be regular instant savings, no app required. In Nevada scan and go worked on alcohol.
I think there is a fair argument to be made by Sam's around expanding the Scan and Go discounts; now if you ring up your own merchandise not only will you save time but get an additional discount.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

ClownLoach wrote: January 31st, 2023, 3:04 pm When I was in Las Vegas I noticed the Sam's there had probably 5 times the number of Scan and Go savings offers of a California store, basically everything that you could pick up with two hands and fit in a cart. At a California store most of those offers would be regular instant savings, no app required. In Nevada scan and go worked on alcohol.
I think there is a fair argument to be made by Sam's around expanding the Scan and Go discounts; now if you ring up your own merchandise not only will you save time but get an additional discount.
Albertsons tried something similar in the Larry Johnston era.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: January 31st, 2023, 3:12 pm
ClownLoach wrote: January 31st, 2023, 3:04 pm When I was in Las Vegas I noticed the Sam's there had probably 5 times the number of Scan and Go savings offers of a California store, basically everything that you could pick up with two hands and fit in a cart. At a California store most of those offers would be regular instant savings, no app required. In Nevada scan and go worked on alcohol.
I think the difference is when you're comparing Sam's to Costco the Scan and Go app is already a competitive advantage. Therefore it makes sense that if the sale is a Sam's event (vs a vendor sponsored sale) they should give the discount to the Scan and Go users as it helps support the markdown.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: January 31st, 2023, 3:56 pm
retailfanmitchell019 wrote: January 31st, 2023, 3:12 pm
I think the difference is when you're comparing Sam's to Costco the Scan and Go app is already a competitive advantage. Therefore it makes sense that if the sale is a Sam's event (vs a vendor sponsored sale) they should give the discount to the Scan and Go users as it helps support the markdown.
I have yet to use Scan and Go but I see a lot of customers using it.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

What exactly would be the plan of adding more Sam's Club stores? There was a store in New Caney, Texas, but it closed just a few weeks shy of being open for only a year. There's still a lot of vacant store boxes left from the closures in the 2010s...and no Business Center equivalent, not since the one prototype from the late 2000s.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

pseudo3d wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 10:20 pm What exactly would be the plan of adding more Sam's Club stores? There was a store in New Caney, Texas, but it closed just a few weeks shy of being open for only a year. There's still a lot of vacant store boxes left from the closures in the 2010s...and no Business Center equivalent, not since the one prototype from the late 2000s.
I think the plan is to try to get some growth at Sam's Club again. They must have decided it is cheaper to operate/build Sam's Clubs and they can get a more favorable ROI building more of these, than building more Wal Marts...?

I hope this won't be like the announcements we see every few years about hundreds of new Neighborhood Markets coming, which never materialize...
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Walmart has been facing tons of shoplifting recently. They looked at Costco and see how successful it is, and Costco has relatively low shoplifting. Walmart views Sam's Club as more profitable. Some Walmart locations might do better as Sam's Clubs.

There are some closed Walmart stores in high theft areas, but there are few stores to serve the people. Perhaps they could be reopened as Sam's Clubs. There is an abandoned Walmart in Oakland, California.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 12:23 am Walmart has been facing tons of shoplifting recently. They looked at Costco and see how successful it is, and Costco has relatively low shoplifting. Walmart views Sam's Club as more profitable. Some Walmart locations might do better as Sam's Clubs.

There are some closed Walmart stores in high theft areas, but there are few stores to serve the people. Perhaps they could be reopened as Sam's Clubs.
The challenge is the people who are shoplifting from Wal Mart aren't even going to Sam's Club. They will just go find another Wal Mart.