Trailers appearing at closed Padden Parkway Albertsons

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
Super S

Re: Trailers appearing at closed Padden Parkway Albertsons

Post by Super S »

ClownLoach wrote: January 28th, 2023, 8:22 pm It's a totally different place now versus when that store was in operation. That northern part of Vancouver had what I believe to be the first Best Buy to close as well. There was a ton of retail built for new housing that never got finished. Now those homes are being built and prices in the area are crazy expensive. For years I wanted to move to the Vancouver-Camas area but the pricing has exploded to the point we were priced out of the market and had to settle for the CA Inland Empire. I've watched the same developments increase their prices over 300K per house from early 2022 until now. Nice new homes I looked at 9 months ago for $700K wound up being built and sold at $1M and up. Prices are still rising there. I'm sure there is plenty to go around if they were to reopen this store. The Costco on Padden Pkwy was a ghost town when it opened and now it is bursting at the seams with another store soon to open closer to I-5. Vancouver, Washington and Camas are the escape valve for frustrated Portland residents who are done with the rampant crime, car break ins, and homeless encampments lining every major roadway. Labor is tight but maybe they can close a Safeway or Albertsons across the river that gets looted on an hourly basis by the endless horde of homeless people and move the staff over. I'm sure being away from Portland chaos would more than make up for the drive for these employees.
Best Buy had two Vancouver locations, one was in Hazel Dell, and the other was at Mill Plain and 164th Ave. The electronics retailers had in the past avoided Vancouver because of the sales tax factor. Best Buy felt that because of people flocking to Vancouver from other states with higher sales taxes such as California, that sales tax wasn't going to be as much of a factor, but the truth is that neither one of those locations did very well and didn't last long. Best Buy has stores just across the river in sales tax free Oregon, at Cascade Station and at Jantzen Beach. Costco has done better, but keep in mind Costco sells food and food has no sales tax in Washington.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

It is weird how people will have different experiences going to the same place.

A close friend of mine spent a week vacation to visit family and friends in Portland 2 weeks ago.

He had nothing negative to say. He also spent a lot of time downtown (restaurants, bars).

I guess it depends on exactly where one goes?
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Super S wrote: January 29th, 2023, 4:09 am
ClownLoach wrote: January 28th, 2023, 8:22 pm It's a totally different place now versus when that store was in operation. That northern part of Vancouver had what I believe to be the first Best Buy to close as well. There was a ton of retail built for new housing that never got finished. Now those homes are being built and prices in the area are crazy expensive. For years I wanted to move to the Vancouver-Camas area but the pricing has exploded to the point we were priced out of the market and had to settle for the CA Inland Empire. I've watched the same developments increase their prices over 300K per house from early 2022 until now. Nice new homes I looked at 9 months ago for $700K wound up being built and sold at $1M and up. Prices are still rising there. I'm sure there is plenty to go around if they were to reopen this store. The Costco on Padden Pkwy was a ghost town when it opened and now it is bursting at the seams with another store soon to open closer to I-5. Vancouver, Washington and Camas are the escape valve for frustrated Portland residents who are done with the rampant crime, car break ins, and homeless encampments lining every major roadway. Labor is tight but maybe they can close a Safeway or Albertsons across the river that gets looted on an hourly basis by the endless horde of homeless people and move the staff over. I'm sure being away from Portland chaos would more than make up for the drive for these employees.
Best Buy had two Vancouver locations, one was in Hazel Dell, and the other was at Mill Plain and 164th Ave. The electronics retailers had in the past avoided Vancouver because of the sales tax factor. Best Buy felt that because of people flocking to Vancouver from other states with higher sales taxes such as California, that sales tax wasn't going to be as much of a factor, but the truth is that neither one of those locations did very well and didn't last long. Best Buy has stores just across the river in sales tax free Oregon, at Cascade Station and at Jantzen Beach. Costco has done better, but keep in mind Costco sells food and food has no sales tax in Washington.
The sales tax was probably an issue but only on goods being carried out by the customer. Tax on delivered items is determined by the delivery address. So on larger items there would be no reason to drive to Portland to save.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: January 29th, 2023, 8:17 am It is weird how people will have different experiences going to the same place.

A close friend of mine spent a week vacation to visit family and friends in Portland 2 weeks ago.

He had nothing negative to say. He also spent a lot of time downtown (restaurants, bars).

It is all relative. Compared to Seattle or San Francisco it isn't that bad. Did they see what the area surrounding the highway for miles surrounding downtown looks like?

Also I find the worst parts to be the ones along the light rail track....
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: January 29th, 2023, 7:10 pm
veteran+ wrote: January 29th, 2023, 8:17 am It is weird how people will have different experiences going to the same place.

It is all relative. Compared to Seattle or San Francisco it isn't that bad. Did they see what the area surrounding the highway for miles surrounding downtown looks like?

Which is funny because my trip to Portland and Seattle a few months ago was also different. There was no question the homeless problem in Portland was much worse than Seattle. Portland has been forcibly moving the homeless from downtown out to the riverfront near the airport and along that bypass. The entire bank of the river was parked end to end both sides of Marine Dr. with homeless living in RVs, cars and vans. So maybe they've moved the rest out of downtown to try to bring back the tourists? All I know is that Vancouver seems to have cleared the homeless from their revitalized waterfront too. They continue to make it easier for developers to tear down all the affordable housing occupied by the folks who, let's just say have problems, and push these folks out onto the streets. The developers ignore the damage they cause and get rubber stamped plans with promises of new "affordable" units in the new 5 story monoliths that go up to replace them. So they demolish half a block of old cottages and old apartments, let's say maybe 20 units total, then replace them with 100 units of luxury apartments with maybe a dozen low quality studios designated "affordable" in the new complex. And the new "affordable" isn't anything like what the displaced folks were paying nor can they pass the elevated requirements the big corporate landlords demand such as detailed pay history, background checks that would ban a convicted litter bug from having a roof over their heads, and a high credit score. And what happens when more and more of these folks get thrown out on the streets? City Hall declares a state of emergency, calls all the developers and asks them what they can do to make it easier to "build more efficiently", the developers get more concessions that make it easier for them to profitably destroy whatever existing affordable housing is out there, and the cycle repeats itself. Expedited approval isn't helping. Allowing higher density without rezoning isn't helping. Encouraging replacement of industrial and commercial properties with high density residential isn't helping. And now the worst, allowing no parking, means there is hardly any single family home on a decent size lot that a developer can't afford to outbid every buyer for, tear down and replace with skinny little 3 story row houses that sell for at least a million a piece. They can literally go door to door and buy out a whole block that wasn't even for sale with "an offer you can't refuse" and are still happily doing it all over both Portland and Seattle... While they take their profits and lobby other cities such as San Diego and Los Angeles to bring the same winning strategies to their cities to "build enough housing to stop homelessness" by tearing down anything that can be afforded by a person who makes less than $100K a year.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: January 29th, 2023, 8:13 pm
Which is funny because my trip to Portland and Seattle a few months ago was also different. There was no question the homeless problem in Portland was much worse than Seattle. Portland has been forcibly moving the homeless from downtown out to the riverfront near the airport and along that bypass. The entire bank of the river was parked end to end both sides of Marine Dr. with homeless living in RVs, cars and vans. So maybe they've moved the rest out of downtown to try to bring back the tourists? All I know is that Vancouver seems to have cleared the homeless from their revitalized waterfront too. They continue to make it easier for developers to tear down all the affordable housing occupied by the folks who, let's just say have problems, and push these folks out onto the streets. The developers ignore the damage they cause and get rubber stamped plans with promises of new "affordable" units in the new 5 story monoliths that go up to replace them. So they demolish half a block of old cottages and old apartments, let's say maybe 20 units total, then replace them with 100 units of luxury apartments with maybe a dozen low quality studios designated "affordable" in the new complex. And the new "affordable" isn't anything like what the displaced folks were paying nor can they pass the elevated requirements the big corporate landlords demand such as detailed pay history, background checks that would ban a convicted litter bug from having a roof over their heads, and a high credit score. And what happens when more and more of these folks get thrown out on the streets? City Hall declares a state of emergency, calls all the developers and asks them what they can do to make it easier to "build more efficiently", the developers get more concessions that make it easier for them to profitably destroy whatever existing affordable housing is out there, and the cycle repeats itself. Expedited approval isn't helping. Allowing higher density without rezoning isn't helping. Encouraging replacement of industrial and commercial properties with high density residential isn't helping. And now the worst, allowing no parking, means there is hardly any single family home on a decent size lot that a developer can't afford to outbid every buyer for, tear down and replace with skinny little 3 story row houses that sell for at least a million a piece. They can literally go door to door and buy out a whole block that wasn't even for sale with "an offer you can't refuse" and are still happily doing it all over both Portland and Seattle... While they take their profits and lobby other cities such as San Diego and Los Angeles to bring the same winning strategies to their cities to "build enough housing to stop homelessness" by tearing down anything that can be afforded by a person who makes less than $100K a year.
It still seemed pretty problematic Portland last summer, and basically the entire road between downtown and the airport was lined with tent cities, ton of litter, etc.

Yes, this has happened in Reno too. Many old 50's motels were residential for years. Really bad conditions, but the argument is, better than out on the street. Not really going to put an opinion on what is better or worse but when these motels go away then there is no choice but the street and no choices are usually never a good result. These types of properties don't really do reference checks, leases, first and last month's rent, etc. like the corporate complexes (since they are "motels" - they also pay room tax in to the tourism agency) often took rent in cash and up until the past decade rent was often less than $100 per week. Developers show up and buy them one by one. Some old motels refuse to sell. Some of these buildings also aged past the point of being feasible to fix anymore so there was some of that natural sort of building lifespan situation occurring forcing some to close. But as some that sat in the middle of "sold to developer" blocks were refusing to sell to said developer, something else started to happen. City code enforcement steps up enforcement on those that refuse to sell issuing a bunch of citations, which are too costly to address, eventually forcing them to close therefore forcing them to sell to said developer.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote: January 28th, 2023, 11:42 pm
pseudo3d wrote: January 28th, 2023, 12:35 pm
retailfanmitchell019 wrote: January 27th, 2023, 9:42 pm
I can imagine Fred Meyer, WinCo and even Walmart nearby were all ramming the store out of business. That part of Vancouver is kind of a working-class area where Albertsons isn't the best fit.
Perhaps Rosauers can take this store.
If Albertsons couldn't make it on the basis of economics, Rosauer's definitely won't.
I think Rosauer's could possibly make it work. It would probably be a medium volume store at best.
As I understand it Rosauers tends to be more upscale in Washington than surrounding areas. That's not a bad deal if the area has improved after Albertsons left...but then, it means that Albertsons could reopen there as well.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

pseudo3d wrote: January 29th, 2023, 11:40 pm

As I understand it Rosauers tends to be more upscale in Washington than surrounding areas. That's not a bad deal if the area has improved after Albertsons left...but then, it means that Albertsons could reopen there as well.
Their main stronghold is in Spokane. Spokane is not a high income area but not a poor area by any means.

Is Rosauers the most upscale option in Spokane? I don't think so. I think Yoke's (also URM supplied) runs a more upscale operation than Rosauers.

Rosauers tend to be a little different store by store.

Rosauers tried to play upscale in Boise (Meridian) and it did not work out well.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: January 29th, 2023, 7:10 pm

He was, I believe, engaged more with the bars, restaurants, nicer hotels and some upscale looking malls and boutiques. He took videos and photos of all this via social media.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

Safeway/Albertson turned the closed Raleigh Hills store into an online fulfillment center that opened last fall. I've driven by there but I haven't been able to look inside since they are doing everything possible to keep the public away but there are dozens of delivery vans parked outside. This location in Vancouver would be perfect for something like that since it is located in the middle to Clark County.