Super Target Menifee, CA Arson Shoplifting Fire

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
storewanderer

Re: Super Target Menifee, CA Arson Shoplifting Fire

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: March 1st, 2023, 12:24 pm

This may explain the situation in Reno that keeps getting documented here with the trashed store they can't keep full after the backroom remodel. I suspect that it is probably an inconvenience but good leadership could coach the team on how to work around the single aisle access issue and probably reduce footsteps at the same time. I see a lot of problems but this shouldn't prevent the store from being stocked. In addition Target had the most innovative truck process in retail, they used to scan every box and their system would determine if the item would fit on the shelf or be overstock - if overstock they would use a red sharpie and line out the truck label then throw it all in a pile to put into storage bays. They eliminated this when overnight teams went away. Now 100% of incoming freight goes direct to the floor on truck day and whatever doesn't fit goes back to the stockroom, so a store situation like Reno shouldn't be happening where the shelves aren't being refilled each morning at 4am.

SmartSelect_20230301_121644_Reddit.jpg
This looks like a horrible set up. I've worked alone in file rooms or libraries with that set up and hated it alone but it would be worse with multiple others trying to get all over the aisles. Those shelves do not move quickly when you spin the wheel... Reno is a Greatland build and has a HUGE backroom.

It seems like the best way for Target to address the single aisle access/footstep issue is to somehow synch the Zebras in a way that the multiple employees are routed to pick items in an order that works with the single aisle access at a given point in time. But that would require the Zebras to keep re-ordering the pick list based on the exact location of the employees in the pick area at a given moment. The software probably isn't there yet.

The hardlines aisles in Reno are still a mess but might be a little better than before. Clothing is a disaster. Front end is a disaster- their standard is either 0 cashiers or 1 cashier and that 1 cashier seems to work from about 11-5 every day and after those hours it is self checkout only. Lines into clothing? Doesn't matter. One cashier and self checkouts. I'd say it is a worse experience than Wal Mart, but it isn't, since the baskets at Target are so much smaller, things actually move much more quickly there than an equally understaffed Wal Mart.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Super Target Menifee, CA Arson Shoplifting Fire

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: March 1st, 2023, 8:24 pm
ClownLoach wrote: March 1st, 2023, 12:24 pm

This may explain the situation in Reno that keeps getting documented here with the trashed store they can't keep full after the backroom remodel. I suspect that it is probably an inconvenience but good leadership could coach the team on how to work around the single aisle access issue and probably reduce footsteps at the same time. I see a lot of problems but this shouldn't prevent the store from being stocked. In addition Target had the most innovative truck process in retail, they used to scan every box and their system would determine if the item would fit on the shelf or be overstock - if overstock they would use a red sharpie and line out the truck label then throw it all in a pile to put into storage bays. They eliminated this when overnight teams went away. Now 100% of incoming freight goes direct to the floor on truck day and whatever doesn't fit goes back to the stockroom, so a store situation like Reno shouldn't be happening where the shelves aren't being refilled each morning at 4am.

SmartSelect_20230301_121644_Reddit.jpg
This looks like a horrible set up. I've worked alone in file rooms or libraries with that set up and hated it alone but it would be worse with multiple others trying to get all over the aisles. Those shelves do not move quickly when you spin the wheel... Reno is a Greatland build and has a HUGE backroom.

It seems like the best way for Target to address the single aisle access/footstep issue is to somehow synch the Zebras in a way that the multiple employees are routed to pick items in an order that works with the single aisle access at a given point in time. But that would require the Zebras to keep re-ordering the pick list based on the exact location of the employees in the pick area at a given moment. The software probably isn't there yet.

The hardlines aisles in Reno are still a mess but might be a little better than before. Clothing is a disaster. Front end is a disaster- their standard is either 0 cashiers or 1 cashier and that 1 cashier seems to work from about 11-5 every day and after those hours it is self checkout only. Lines into clothing? Doesn't matter. One cashier and self checkouts. I'd say it is a worse experience than Wal Mart, but it isn't, since the baskets at Target are so much smaller, things actually move much more quickly there than an equally understaffed Wal Mart.
I know that Target doesn't "locate" clothing back stock in the manner they do with hardlines and handles it in a more old fashioned way with Z racks etc. so the backroom remodel shouldn't have any effect on softlines. And the large backroom stores typical of Greatland would not need this kind of sliding rack unless they are unusually small backrooms like Costa Mesa which finally got a new stockroom constructed and added to the left side of the store last year; I can't remember if this was a garden center or not. My understanding is that these racks were for standard stores with smaller backrooms that needed to condense the storage to make room for e-commerce Ops. Still smells of bad management.

As far as the tech goes the ship from store should batch in aisle number order, this is why target and many others pick now on batch carts with many dividers. One person can make one run through all the aisles and pull 20+ full orders. But if they don't select the orders correctly, get behind in pulling etc. then this process breaks. Not sure what app they use for fulfillment but I've used one that works similarly.