Safeway NorCal- Bananas "each"

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Safeway NorCal- Bananas "each"

Post by storewanderer »

Safeway NorCal has changed banana pricing. Previously .89/lb (.75/lb in the price cut stores) they are now priced at:
Banana 3 for $1
Organic Banana 2 for $1

This is a very poor value when you consider Trader Joe's is at .19 each/.25 each Organic and discount operators are still under .60 per pound. It appears to me they wanted to price increase the bananas above $1/lb (despite competitors not being close to that yet) but realized that may not be good so they did this instead.

For a consumer like me who tries to buy the smaller bananas this type of single unit pricing is the worst. I will stick with the various stores where bananas are .55 to .58 per pound (Smiths, WinCo, Wal Mart).

I think there is going to be a lot of confusion at self checkout.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Safeway NorCal- Bananas "each"

Post by SamSpade »

Weird to switch to 'by the piece' pricing then not price them competitively with your largest well known "by the piece" competitor, Trader Joe's. I always do a little "by the pound" conversion at local conventional grocers to price bananas vs. Trader Joe's.

I am assuming this is still less expensive than at 7-Eleven or Starbucks? Maybe that was the test/idea? :shock:
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

Kinda ironic that 10-15 years ago, CA (and much of the west) charged for nearly everything by weight, whereas in the Midwest/East, most produce was sold by the unit (with exceptions). Of course, most ethic stores still charge by weight.

But Albertsons is starting the year off with a bang in increasing prices...
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 2:32 pm Kinda ironic that 10-15 years ago, CA (and much of the west) charged for nearly everything by weight, whereas in the Midwest/East, most produce was sold by the unit (with exceptions). Of course, most ethic stores still charge by weight.

But Albertsons is starting the year off with a bang in increasing prices...
Wal Mart sells all citrus by the each out west (oranges). Some ethnic stores do limes by the pound but not many.

I prefer pricing by the pound.

I've noticed while traveling some Kroger divisions sell the small/lunchbox size apples by the each rather than by the pound. Yet in those same stores the large apples are sold by the pound.
dcpeachy
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by dcpeachy »

Albuquerque, Albertsons Market, under United, has conventional bananas now 4/$1, which matches the price at Target here as well. I noticed the shift last week.