Walmart 2023 Closings

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Walmart 2023 Closings

Post by ClownLoach »

Super S wrote: March 8th, 2023, 11:25 am
babs wrote: March 8th, 2023, 9:27 am

Now here is an interesting thought. Could the Eastport Plaza store become a Sam's Club? The Hayden Meadows store is likely too small. The membership requirements would reduce theft. There is no Costco nearby that poses much of a competitive threat. I doubt it will happen but it could be a way to capture some sales. And I think they own both buildings.

It would be a convenient way for Sam's Club to come back to the Northwest. Membership requirements would restrict access. It might work at Eastport, but there is no way at Hayden Meadows with the small store size and small parking lot. It all depends on how receptive Portland would be to a Sam's Club instead of a traditional Walmart. Portland would be a new market for Sam's Club.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into a case where Walmart sits with a closed building for years to keep the competition out. A vacant building attracts vandalism. The still vacant Kmart at 122nd & Sandy is a good example of this.
I thought the same thing until I read that Sam's new stores will all be in a new, even larger size of 160,000 Sq ft or more so they can fit in all their fancy new features they've been piloting like the "Fresh Market" with service deli and service meat/seafood counters. By comparison the new Costco prototype is actually a tad smaller than the new Sam's will be (Costco is now building at 153,000 Sq ft as their standard). Since it is hard to get anything large approved in Portland there's no chance they would be able to build that new format.

I do fully expect to see Sam's return to the PNW albeit slowly and with lots of marketing involved. They've made it clear that they intend to get into the major markets where they currently have no presence. They will need to bring their best game and that means entirely new buildings with all the bells and whistles like those service counters as well as all the environmental initiatives that everyone wants up there (heavy solar use, the fuel cell power plants and fully electrified buildings). These will fail if they are anything less than the best stores in the Sam's organization and they'll have to open several stores all at once to make the membership worthwhile to the customers there. I expect they will be forced to do the free or heavily discounted membership promos they're currently doing to get people in the door since Costco is so firmly entrenched. They will probably get fully established in the San Francisco Bay area and San Diego areas first. San Diego has only one store and it is bursting at the seams these days as customers embrace the improved Sam's concept.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I just don't see where Sam's is going to find 160k square foot sites on the west coast that will work for them. Will they go after old mall spaces? Hope they can find some closed Home Depot or Lowes (wrong shape building)... and what about adding gas pumps?

Logistics may also be an issue in PNW. But maybe that isn't as big of a deal as they can do some sharing/transfers through Wal Mart centers and focus on shipping full semis to the Sam's.

It was probably a mistake for them to remove Sam's entirely from the PNW before. Probably should have held on to a couple stores. I don't think they were doing that badly.

I still expect to see them focus on high growth areas most. Lots of opportunities. More and more people I talk to cross shop between Sam's and Costco too. At some point people are going to get tired of having 2 memberships and will need to make a decision.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

ClownLoach wrote: March 8th, 2023, 4:45 pm
BillyGr wrote: March 7th, 2023, 12:40 pm
veteran+ wrote: March 7th, 2023, 8:26 am

EXCELLENT enforcement!
Of the STUPIDEST rule in the world! If someone knows how to use the self checkout, they can scan 10 items or 100 - it simply DOES NOT MATTER!
First, it makes sense to stop the giant baskets from getting through without being paid for. Second, these self checks only have space for two bags so a full basket couldn't even be completed on them. Third, people are SLOW if they aren't good at self checkout. I've seen customers I'd time at maybe scanning 5 UPM. An entire line of those would make the self check line hit the back of the store without an item limit.
Exactly! 👍
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

veteran+ wrote: March 7th, 2023, 8:26 am EXCELLENT enforcement!
Of the STUPIDEST rule in the world! If someone knows how to use the self checkout, they can scan 10 items or 100 - it simply DOES NOT MATTER!
First, it makes sense to stop the giant baskets from getting through without being paid for. Second, these self checks only have space for two bags so a full basket couldn't even be completed on them. Third, people are SLOW if they aren't good at self checkout. I've seen customers I'd time at maybe scanning 5 UPM. An entire line of those would make the self check line hit the back of the store without an item limit.
First, that again is the stores NOT PAYING ATTENTION TO THE ACTUAL PROBLEM - many people can, and will, scan a whole basket and not steal, because THEY ARE NOT THEIVES, no matter how their items are processed!

Second, the styles of checkouts vary - MANY stores have ones that can fit FAR MORE than 2 bags on them.

Third, if there are people that are doing it too slowly, limit them to one or two (or whatever) of the available slots - that way they have to wait longer for others like themselves, while those who KNOW how to use the machines can get through in less time and not be delayed for those who can't work as quickly, without preventing anyone from using the machines totally.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

BillyGr wrote: March 9th, 2023, 10:47 am
First, that again is the stores NOT PAYING ATTENTION TO THE ACTUAL PROBLEM - many people can, and will, scan a whole basket and not steal, because THEY ARE NOT THEIVES, no matter how their items are processed!

Second, the styles of checkouts vary - MANY stores have ones that can fit FAR MORE than 2 bags on them.

Third, if there are people that are doing it too slowly, limit them to one or two (or whatever) of the available slots - that way they have to wait longer for others like themselves, while those who KNOW how to use the machines can get through in less time and not be delayed for those who can't work as quickly, without preventing anyone from using the machines totally.
In another thread there is an article about the Albertsons testing 100% self check lanes. Take a look at the pictures. That is the best way to run self checkout - the lanes are grouped by item count. Under 10, 10-20, and over 20. Then the fixtures match the item count, from tiny kiosks to massive islands that could hold a full Costco cart. Unless these stores set up the right fixtures to match their typical basket size, or multiple fixtures for multiple sizes they'll have to put some kind of limit. I'm really good of course and I prefer self check especially in the Winco environment because I can't predict how many bags I need to buy before I start bagging the items. I would prefer if Winco expanded self checkout from those little kiosks that only hold two bags to larger fixtures, but they only have the small ones at the store near me.

I can't imagine how well it would go if they separated out and made "amateur" and "expert" lanes...
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: March 9th, 2023, 3:45 pm

In another thread there is an article about the Albertsons testing 100% self check lanes. Take a look at the pictures. That is the best way to run self checkout - the lanes are grouped by item count. Under 10, 10-20, and over 20. Then the fixtures match the item count, from tiny kiosks to massive islands that could hold a full Costco cart. Unless these stores set up the right fixtures to match their typical basket size, or multiple fixtures for multiple sizes they'll have to put some kind of limit. I'm really good of course and I prefer self check especially in the Winco environment because I can't predict how many bags I need to buy before I start bagging the items. I would prefer if Winco expanded self checkout from those little kiosks that only hold two bags to larger fixtures, but they only have the small ones at the store near me.

I can't imagine how well it would go if they separated out and made "amateur" and "expert" lanes...
Lately WinCo locations I've been to in CA have moved the CA super thick bags down to the self serve area again. You tell the cashier how many bags you think you need then you go down and bag after paying, but nobody is watching anything.

Was in Reno WinCo- sign at self checkout (store made) says 15 item limit, no ham, no prime rib, no turkey, and no WIC at self checkout. Nevada has e-WIC that runs through the credit card pinpad so not sure why they can't do it. The employee glued to the chair at the attendant station probably can't be bothered. I've also noticed a couple abandoned transactions lately where I walk up to a machine and it has items on the screen/a total but nobody is there and no items. The attendant at the chair either texting or dozing off isn't even noticing when people don't pay.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

These Walmart stores are closing due to rampant shoplifting. If you were in charge, how would you solve the problem and keep these stores open?
Last edited by Alpha8472 on March 12th, 2023, 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: March 11th, 2023, 4:06 pm These Walmart stores ate closing due to rampant shoplifting. If you were in charge, how would you solve the problem and keep these stores open?
I don't think there is much you can do based on the way these cities with the high theft are and based on Wal Mart being Wal Mart.

I would prohibit reusable bags, backpacks, etc. in the stores period. Problem is with bag regulations you can't really do that.

I would add additional security and apprehend shoplifters more frequently. Problem is, if the police won't respond, what good is an apprehension?

Modifications to product mix and store layout are also options but so far I don't really like what I've seen of that. Entirely locked drug departments are basically not really operationally feasible despite in use in some stores. I have also observed often when Wal Mart has locked cases somehow the locked cases are still 50% out of stock and it seems despite the locked cases somehow high theft is still taking place on these items.

I would also remove self checkouts from these high theft stores. But that would involve actually hiring cashiers which doesn't seem to be something Wal Mart wants to do.

I would also set the stores up with a single entry point and a single exit point (enter one side, exit the other side). I would also set up a way where there would be no way to get to the return area from inside the store. Returns would basically be a window out front and if you had a return the only way to get to/from returns would be from the exterior and once you were done with the return you would be routed back outside. I suppose they could barricade a path from the entrance also... That would be a bit of a safety issue for returns though.

With Wal Mart gone Target is going to be hit hard. We will see how they respond.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: March 11th, 2023, 10:50 pm
Alpha8472 wrote: March 11th, 2023, 4:06 pm These Walmart stores ate closing due to rampant shoplifting. If you were in charge, how would you solve the problem and keep these stores open?
I don't think there is much you can do based on the way these cities with the high theft are and based on Wal Mart being Wal Mart.

I would prohibit reusable bags, backpacks, etc. in the stores period. Problem is with bag regulations you can't really do that.

I would add additional security and apprehend shoplifters more frequently. Problem is, if the police won't respond, what good is an apprehension?

Modifications to product mix and store layout are also options but so far I don't really like what I've seen of that. Entirely locked drug departments are basically not really operationally feasible despite in use in some stores. I have also observed often when Wal Mart has locked cases somehow the locked cases are still 50% out of stock and it seems despite the locked cases somehow high theft is still taking place on these items.

I would also remove self checkouts from these high theft stores. But that would involve actually hiring cashiers which doesn't seem to be something Wal Mart wants to do.

I would also set the stores up with a single entry point and a single exit point (enter one side, exit the other side). I would also set up a way where there would be no way to get to the return area from inside the store. Returns would basically be a window out front and if you had a return the only way to get to/from returns would be from the exterior and once you were done with the return you would be routed back outside. I suppose they could barricade a path from the entrance also... That would be a bit of a safety issue for returns though.

With Wal Mart gone Target is going to be hit hard. We will see how they respond.
Some of these things could be addressed in a Sam's Club format, which restricts entry to begin with.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

That's a good idea. Sam's Club is really getting popular these days. The club format restricts entry to members and shoplifting seems much more under control.

Sam's Club has been improving quite a bit on many levels and the company is gaining more customers. Why not convert to Sam's Club? The company still owns or leases the buildings. Costco is so packed with customers that there is plenty of demand for more club stores.

A major reason why stores are seeing more shoplifting is a lack of staffing. If there are fewer employees to watch for shoplifters there will be more theft. Employees can talk to customers and say, "Can I help you with something?" Just talking to shoplifters and letting them know they are being watched will cut down significantly on people stealing. Every little bit helps.

Companies these days are cutting employee work hours and trying to save costs. These employees are valuable in that they watch for shoplifters and deter shoplifting. More cashiers would mean less need for self checkout where most of the theft occurs. People who would not blatantly rob a store will willingly undercharge or try to cheat at the self checkout.

We need to provide plenty of fast and efficient cashiers and these cashiers can be much faster than self checkout. Then you will reduce a significant amount of theft.

Companies don't realize that spending a little more for more employees will save money by reducing shoplifting. Employees are a good investment.

Test out these self checkout free stores. Add more cashiers and more employees to help customers. You will see better stocked shelves, more sales, better customer service, and less theft.