Has Chipotle Raised Its Prices Too Much

storewanderer

Re: Has Chipotle Raised Its Prices Too Much

Post by storewanderer »

One Chipotle in Reno has drive through. I heard at some points it was drive through only. Not sure how that worked.

Whenever I've been there or near there, inside has been open.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

ClownLoach wrote: February 17th, 2023, 3:00 pm
BillyGr wrote: February 17th, 2023, 9:53 am
ClownLoach wrote: February 16th, 2023, 11:16 am The big problem is that Chipotle will not accept an order in the drive through, there is no menu board or two way radio box. The drive through is only for online order pick ups. Many customers do not understand this and place an order in the parking lot then immediately drive to the window and clog up the entire line because their food is not ready. Other times the employees are nice to the confused customer and they don't see a line so they'll take the order at the window, only for a sudden line to appear out of nowhere. And if you did the right thing and ordered online then got in the drive through on time you potentially wind up with cold food because you had to wait behind a confused customer who couldn't figure out how this drive through that isn't a real drive through works. I would have expected them to take a few years of testing on this concept but after the first two or three opened it has been full speed ahead at least in their headquarters market of SoCal. What a mess.
If they do go ahead and take the order, or someone does as you suggest and orders then gets in line too quickly, it shouldn't be hard to say "Sorry, your order isn't ready yet - pull up to the side and we'll get it to you as soon as it is" (much like most any drive thru place will do) or "Sorry, your order isn't ready quite yet - please circle around to the back of the line" - that way others in line who do have completed orders get theirs in a timely fashion before they get cold or stale or whatever.
It's what happens when a restaurant that has no drive through experience is paired up with customers who somehow don't understand how mobile ordering works. Considering that the CEO of Chipotle was poached from Taco Bell this is really hard to understand.
The customers aren't really at fault - when they see what looks like a drive-thru lane (particularly where Chipotle has taken over a building where it formerly WAS a drive-thru lane), they expect it to work like every other drive-thru lane does. Since this one is supposed to be different, they need to have clear, large signs where you would enter that lane explaining that it is only for picking up existing orders, and that you must have ordered x minutes ago for your order to be ready to pickup, then people should be able to understand.

We even had at least one Pizza Hut years back that had a drive-up window - never actually using it, but from what I saw outside, you could actually put in an order (had the same speaker setup as most others do), but it was set up such that past the speaker there was an exit point, so they would have given you a time to return to the line for pickup, much as most places do for standard takeout when you order (be it by phone or in person).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: February 18th, 2023, 10:22 am

The customers aren't really at fault - when they see what looks like a drive-thru lane (particularly where Chipotle has taken over a building where it formerly WAS a drive-thru lane), they expect it to work like every other drive-thru lane does. Since this one is supposed to be different, they need to have clear, large signs where you would enter that lane explaining that it is only for picking up existing orders, and that you must have ordered x minutes ago for your order to be ready to pickup, then people should be able to understand.

We even had at least one Pizza Hut years back that had a drive-up window - never actually using it, but from what I saw outside, you could actually put in an order (had the same speaker setup as most others do), but it was set up such that past the speaker there was an exit point, so they would have given you a time to return to the line for pickup, much as most places do for standard takeout when you order (be it by phone or in person).
They have no such sign in Reno. They just call it a "Chipotlane" or something, not a "drive through."

The consumer is expected to understand what the definition of a "Chipotlane" is and how it differs from the industry standard drive through.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: February 18th, 2023, 11:25 am
BillyGr wrote: February 18th, 2023, 10:22 am

They have no such sign in Reno. They just call it a "Chipotlane" or something, not a "drive through."

The consumer is expected to understand what the definition of a "Chipotlane" is and how it differs from the industry standard drive through.
All of the ones here have clear signage that says "Online Order Pickup Lane" next to the lane, on a sign over it, and painted on the ground. Doesn't make a difference. Even when they do make online orders there is some sort of bizarre perception of instant food materializing seconds after the order is placed, as if that customer is somehow a superior priority to any other customer. Makes me wonder how badly fancy prototypes with multiple lanes will confuse customers at places like Taco Bell and Shake Shack.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I don't think most customers understand it is for online order pick up only. I think they just assume the drive through is being marketed as a space to pick up online orders. Ironically many chains are trying to route online order pick ups to go inside. Problem is there are still a few of these franchisees in some chains that continue drive through only policies during meal periods, or are short staffed so they close inside, or employees take it upon themselves to lock the doors even after being told by the franchisee to keep the doors unlocked.

I have a Popeyes I go to that often you can only pick up online orders inside some days (then other days it is open like normal for dine in and to go). You walk in and all the lights are off, tables are blocked off, and registers are closed. If you go in and tell them you aren't there to pick up an order, they literally kick you out.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: February 18th, 2023, 9:23 pm I don't think most customers understand it is for online order pick up only. I think they just assume the drive through is being marketed as a space to pick up online orders. Ironically many chains are trying to route online order pick ups to go inside. Problem is there are still a few of these franchisees in some chains that continue drive through only policies during meal periods, or are short staffed so they close inside, or employees take it upon themselves to lock the doors even after being told by the franchisee to keep the doors unlocked.

I have a Popeyes I go to that often you can only pick up online orders inside some days (then other days it is open like normal for dine in and to go). You walk in and all the lights are off, tables are blocked off, and registers are closed. If you go in and tell them you aren't there to pick up an order, they literally kick you out.
Then you also get customers who order online and specify one thing (say pickup at drive thru) then decide to go inside when they arrive and the drive thru lane has a long line, then complain to the staff since they can't find the order (as it's not in the system for the interior, but in the drive thru system).

So, customers can be the issue in some cases, just not always (like what you mention where the lane is not marked specifically for online only, so customers do what they would at any drive-up type lane elsewhere, whereas the one Clown mentioned seems to be and then that is the customer not paying attention).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: February 19th, 2023, 11:18 am

Then you also get customers who order online and specify one thing (say pickup at drive thru) then decide to go inside when they arrive and the drive thru lane has a long line, then complain to the staff since they can't find the order (as it's not in the system for the interior, but in the drive thru system).

So, customers can be the issue in some cases, just not always (like what you mention where the lane is not marked specifically for online only, so customers do what they would at any drive-up type lane elsewhere, whereas the one Clown mentioned seems to be and then that is the customer not paying attention).
This is an interesting thing you have brought up.

In the case of Wendys, Popeyes, McDonalds- if you specify "inside pick up"- your order is sent to the kitchen immediately when you specify "I am here" or "order for ASAP."

But at those 3 places if you specify drive through pick up, then you have to go to the speaker and it isn't until you go to the speaker and they check you in, that they actually process/send your order to the kitchen.

Then there is one chain, Raising Cane's that does not support mobile order pick up at drive through at all. You either go inside or do curbside (they are trying to de-emphasize curbside though, due to safety reasons). I suppose if you went to drive through and asked for a mobile order they'd give it to you, but it would have been made already.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

I know that if you order in the Sonic app your order will immediately be sent to the kitchen as soon as you place it (unless you specify a later pick up time.) At the one here I'll typically place the order before I drive over, and it gets brought out almost immediately when I arrive and specify which stall I'm in. Generally I can get orders that way from the drive thru as well, but the app seems to assume you will have the order delivered to your stall, and picking up in the drive thru seems to throw them off. Even at Sonic locations operating in drive thru only mode (as the Marysville one seems to persist in) they will still bring your app order to a stall, but it can be really slow that way.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Brian Lutz wrote: February 19th, 2023, 3:22 pm I know that if you order in the Sonic app your order will immediately be sent to the kitchen as soon as you place it (unless you specify a later pick up time.) At the one here I'll typically place the order before I drive over, and it gets brought out almost immediately when I arrive and specify which stall I'm in. Generally I can get orders that way from the drive thru as well, but the app seems to assume you will have the order delivered to your stall, and picking up in the drive thru seems to throw them off. Even at Sonic locations operating in drive thru only mode (as the Marysville one seems to persist in) they will still bring your app order to a stall, but it can be really slow that way.
Sonics seem to open and close whenever they feel like it, operate drive through only whenever they feel like it, and for the life of them cannot seem to put out a burger and fries that are actually hot in temperature. This is a chain that is a total and complete disappointment in every way.

There is a Sonic in Reno with "dine in" - it is a little building like an outhouse across from the main kitchen building. You walk in and there is a call box to order from. This "dine in" room is of course almost always closed. I think the bathrooms are still out back with exterior entry like a 1950's gas station.

I think Sonic should just install a walk up window. For some reason Sonic does not want to take orders "face to face" and wants all orders to go through speakers. It is no wonder they are so, so slow.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: February 20th, 2023, 8:54 pm Sonics seem to open and close whenever they feel like it, operate drive through only whenever they feel like it, and for the life of them cannot seem to put out a burger and fries that are actually hot in temperature. This is a chain that is a total and complete disappointment in every way.

There is a Sonic in Reno with "dine in" - it is a little building like an outhouse across from the main kitchen building. You walk in and there is a call box to order from. This "dine in" room is of course almost always closed. I think the bathrooms are still out back with exterior entry like a 1950's gas station.

I think Sonic should just install a walk up window. For some reason Sonic does not want to take orders "face to face" and wants all orders to go through speakers. It is no wonder they are so, so slow.
I guess it depends on the area - they have one here with an actual interior that you can order at a counter and sit at a table, just like any McDonalds, BK or similar in design. Others that were built earlier on about an hour further south (and are all now closed, as far as I know) had just the few outdoor tables and a speaker to order at (for either a table or to take back to the car, much like other places do inside). Perhaps they realized that didn't work too well in NY state (for instance at this time of year)?