Pavilions Long Beach converting to Vons

California. No non-grocery posts.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Pavilions Long Beach converting to Vons

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

ClownLoach wrote: February 24th, 2023, 1:45 pm Appears to be a paint only remodel, similar to the other Vons refreshes where they did paint similar to colorful lifestyle without replacing the graphics/signs. Probably no permit needed either.
Vons did something similar to their store in Carlsbad at Tamarack/I-5.
Photo is not mine.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Vons/ ... 2F1tj6v3c_
This is a former Safeway (early 70's era store, not a Marina).
I expect this store to convert to Ralphs. A Fresh Fare format store would work great in that area.
steps
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Post by steps »

ClownLoach wrote: February 21st, 2023, 10:32 am

First off, with the long-ago closure of the first store in Garden Grove this has stood as the oldest Pavilions in the chain until now. Long Beach was the 2nd Pavilions location to open. I believe the site is a former Zody's. So it is the longest running Pavilions in the chain.

Westminster was the 2nd Pavilions to open, Long Beach was 3rd or 4th.
steps
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Post by steps »

I've been to this store many times and it never felt like a Pavilions. There is nothing "Pavilions" about it besides the name. Deli and Bakery carry the standard Albertsons/Vons items, they do have expanded skus for things like steak sauces and olives but nothing really that makes it a Pavilions.

Nice, big store but the vibe is always "off" when I go.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

steps wrote: February 24th, 2023, 3:34 pm I've been to this store many times and it never felt like a Pavilions. There is nothing "Pavilions" about it besides the name. Deli and Bakery carry the standard Albertsons/Vons items, they do have expanded skus for things like steak sauces and olives but nothing really that makes it a Pavilions.

In mid 2022 they had the Pavilions bakery/deli program going in there. They had the higher priced special Pavilions items in bakery, but in deli it really didn't seem like they had much special at all yet they had higher prices on all of the "standard" items they sold in deli there. Based on my observation I don't think anyone shopping there cared about those higher priced bakery/deli items. In fact, I think it was hurting their sales as I think a lot of customers were having sticker shock.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: February 24th, 2023, 2:07 pm
ClownLoach wrote: February 24th, 2023, 1:45 pm Appears to be a paint only remodel, similar to the other Vons refreshes where they did paint similar to colorful lifestyle without replacing the graphics/signs. Probably no permit needed either.
Vons did something similar to their store in Carlsbad at Tamarack/I-5.
Photo is not mine.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Vons/ ... 2F1tj6v3c_
This is a former Safeway (early 70's era store, not a Marina).
I expect this store to convert to Ralphs. A Fresh Fare format store would work great in that area.
Hmmmmmm, the store looks old and small with narrow aisles and short front end. Produce does not look big enough (going by the perspective of the photos).

Not a fan for that foot print to be a Fresh Fare.

🤷‍♂️
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

steps wrote: February 24th, 2023, 3:34 pm I've been to this store many times and it never felt like a Pavilions. There is nothing "Pavilions" about it besides the name. Deli and Bakery carry the standard Albertsons/Vons items, they do have expanded skus for things like steak sauces and olives but nothing really that makes it a Pavilions.

This was one of the Pavilions that was downgraded in the Safeway Era of "Pavilions in name only." They remodeled into standard Lifestyle decor. Deli and bakery have basically been standard Safeway product for some time now at all Pavilions stores. I think it will actually look better with some color being added in this repaint only remodel.

The Pavilions name today is just attached to the stores remodeled into the new "World decor" with oversized liquor departments, a sommelier full time on staff, and a wine cellar. Seems that the same program is being installed in Safeway and Albertsons banners here and there as discussed in other threads but again it really is all about the liquor department.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

veteran+ wrote: February 25th, 2023, 7:03 am
Hmmmmmm, the store looks old and small with narrow aisles and short front end. Produce does not look big enough (going by the perspective of the photos).

🤷‍♂️
Ralphs has plenty of small stores that are Fresh Fares. The demographics in Olde Carlsbad (educated, upper middle class) makes sense for a Fresh Fare.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: February 25th, 2023, 2:32 pm
veteran+ wrote: February 25th, 2023, 7:03 am

🤷‍♂️
Ralphs has plenty of small stores that are Fresh Fares. The demographics in Olde Carlsbad (educated, upper middle class) makes sense for a Fresh Fare.
And that's how Ralphs has diluted the Fresh Fare mark so it's meaningless. They are ruining it like Safeway did with Pavilions. There are too many that are also in name only.

At this point Fresh Fare can be one of many different and completely different concepts: a very large, full line Ralphs with upscale decor and premium/specialty foods (the original and best "Fresh Fare" concept); a very large, full line Ralphs with rustic decor and expanded organics and nutrition (sometimes without any exterior Fresh Fare signage, only branded FF on the interior); a small format Ralphs with upscale decor but the same old merchandise as any other Ralphs; a mid size Ralphs with specialty foods but 100% regular standard cheap Kroger decor and fixtures. It's really worse than Pavilions was under Safeway as Fresh Fare today means absolutely nothing whatsoever. There are no customer expectations at all. It was mentioned in another thread that a customer thought "Fresh Fare" was Ralphs new slogan.

At least Albertsons is making an attempt to revive the Pavilions name and make it stand for something in SoCal, as well as expanding the "World Decor" and premium liquor concept to the Safeway and Albertsons banners outside of the market.

Also its interesting to see the negative reactions to the Long Beach Pavilions conversion in reviews. The Pavilions name still means something upscale to these customers and they seem to expect that quality in all departments will be lowered when the sign changes. Customers are threatening to shop elsewhere if the store is actually downgraded (it won't be, it's basically just getting paint and a sign from what I saw).

I know that if they even thought about rebranding the Pavilions units in Newport Beach, Malibu or other wealthy areas they would lose half their business overnight. These very rich, image conscious customers wouldn't be caught dead in an "ordinary" grocer like Ralphs or Vons. If they were to seriously consider eliminating Pavilions they would need to find a buyer for those stores such as Bristol Farms or Gelsons as those customers demand to be able to shop at what they feel is an exclusive, upscale brand.
Last edited by ClownLoach on February 25th, 2023, 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

ClownLoach wrote: February 25th, 2023, 8:21 pm And that's how Ralphs has diluted the Fresh Fare mark so it's meaningless. They are ruining it like Safeway did with Pavilions. There are too many that are also in name only.
How would that dilute anything? Most people don't shop for groceries outside their immediate area. A customer of one Fresh Fare is unlikely to ever visit another one.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

HCal wrote: February 25th, 2023, 9:55 pm
ClownLoach wrote: February 25th, 2023, 8:21 pm And that's how Ralphs has diluted the Fresh Fare mark so it's meaningless. They are ruining it like Safeway did with Pavilions. There are too many that are also in name only.
How would that dilute anything? Most people don't shop for groceries outside their immediate area. A customer of one Fresh Fare is unlikely to ever visit another one.
I wasn't done writing my piece on it. Basically Ralphs will now stick a Fresh Fare sign on anything, or a Fresh Fare format inside a Ralphs without branding. The other post felt that in some way this Vons would become more "special" as a Fresh Fare, and another poster said its "too small" for it. Basically Fresh Fare doesn't mean anything anymore. It used to represent the best of Ralphs stores and premium assortment. Now it stands for nothing. If they actually converted it from a Vons to a Ralphs today it would become the same store with or without the "Fresh Fare" sign.