Pavilions Long Beach converting to Vons

California. No non-grocery posts.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Pavilions Long Beach converting to Vons

Post by ClownLoach »

veteran+ wrote: February 27th, 2023, 12:50 pm I wholeheartedly agree with you except:

I don't have the same level of trust with regulatory entities, the actual laws on the books, corporate ethics, judicial jurisprudence, attorneys and "people" doing the right thing as perhaps you do.

In our present world "saying" is often not connected to "doing".

I know, I know............so negative, LOL.

But that is the reality of our world today.

🤷‍♂️

P.S. That Safeway - Albertsons merger was very suspicious 🤔
Exactly. Having been through a merger personally where everything stated was supposedly done by the books - enough that myself and hundreds of other director level folks had no idea the merger was in the works - once it was done the truth came out at those lovely discussions at the bar after meetings. Amazing what you learn about your company when everyone has had a liberal dose of truth serum (alcohol). Fact is there was more work done to create the appearance of confidentiality and such than anything else. Both companies were working together at the office of the acquiring company for months. Yes they had NDAs but it was still a textbook example of everything you're saying doesn't happen/can't happen.

This is already one of the most highly suspicious transactions in recent years, and again there are a lot of people who have jobs that depend on seeing this go through.

And if it doesn't go through in this exact manner - that doesn't mean that there won't be a different series of transactions with differing outcomes. If they can't swallow the elephant at once they'll take a bite at a time.

I already have little trust of these companies, and that was before they hooked up with real slimeballs like Apollo.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

veteran+ wrote: February 27th, 2023, 12:50 pm I wholeheartedly agree with you except:

I don't have the same level of trust with regulatory entities, the actual laws on the books, corporate ethics, judicial jurisprudence, attorneys and "people" doing the right thing as perhaps you do.

🤷‍♂️

The system's not perfect but there's too many interested parties and a pot of gold (for Albertsons' investors) at the end of the rainbow. Albertsons and Kroger execs will be sure to act as if they're walking on egg shells. There's absolutely no reason to believe they're acting unethically -- Albertsons continues to invest in new products, new technologies, new & remodeled stores, etc. The ad they're running in SoCal this week features among the most loss leaders I've seen in a long time.... if they were working with Kroger, the funding would be extremely limited (at best).

"Making A Murdered" creates a very persuasive case that Steven Avery was framed... until you look at the case rationally and realize for him to have been framed, a few hundred cops would be conducting a massive coverup -- and that's beyond unlikely, especially given the rewards out there. Likewise, that Albertsons and Kroger would act unethically seems like eye candy... until you realize that getting a leg up on synergizing store fleets is petty compared to the billions Cerberus, et al is going to walk away with. Guarantee you they'll cross every T and dot every I to make it happen...
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: February 26th, 2023, 10:42 pm The problem with Pavilions is, why do they sell the Value Corner brand? QFC never sold any of the p$$t owl brand for the same reason Food 4 Less doesn't sell Private Selection. That brand does not belong in most Albertsons stores, except for working-class areas.
The Value Corner packaging looks like a copy of Loblaw No Name brand. That brand is better.
Still better quality than Great Value though.
Rich people love a bargain. Sometimes they can be stingier than working class people. They will spend money on certain things that matter to them (perhaps fresh foods, alcohol, floral) but go cheap on other stuff. Pavilions needs the Value Corner brand to keep overall price levels reasonable.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Bagels wrote: February 27th, 2023, 2:01 pm

🤷‍♂️

The system's not perfect but there's too many interested parties and a pot of gold (for Albertsons' investors) at the end of the rainbow. Albertsons and Kroger execs will be sure to act as if they're walking on egg shells. There's absolutely no reason to believe they're acting unethically -- Albertsons continues to invest in new products, new technologies, new & remodeled stores, etc. The ad they're running in SoCal this week features among the most loss leaders I've seen in a long time.... if they were working with Kroger, the funding would be extremely limited (at best).

"Making A Murdered" creates a very persuasive case that Steven Avery was framed... until you look at the case rationally and realize for him to have been framed, a few hundred cops would be conducting a massive coverup -- and that's beyond unlikely, especially given the rewards out there. Likewise, that Albertsons and Kroger would act unethically seems like eye candy... until you realize that getting a leg up on synergizing store fleets is petty compared to the billions Cerberus, et al is going to walk away with. Guarantee you they'll cross every T and dot every I to make it happen...
I'm just going to mention the ethically bankrupt Apollo group being involved again. With them involved A) zero reason to trust the process and B) every reason to think that they are somehow going to try to get themselves a nearly free handout in the process such as the 300-600 divestitures plus DCs and manufacturing plants
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

ClownLoach wrote: February 27th, 2023, 4:27 pm
Bagels wrote: February 27th, 2023, 2:01 pm

🤷‍♂️

I'm just going to mention the ethically bankrupt Apollo group being involved again. With them involved A) zero reason to trust the process and B) every reason to think that they are somehow going to try to get themselves a nearly free handout in the process such as the 300-600 divestitures plus DCs and manufacturing plants
Your view from having been on the INSIDE (like me) shows the reality of how things really work. Your comment about how people behave after a couple of drinks gives me some deja vu of many similar interactions I have experienced.

This goes from my times in retail (just below C-Suite)and in the advertising/entertainment industry (Licensed Talent Agent).
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Just left this store. Nothing happening other than colorful repaint lifestyle and concrete floor. The floor is a problem because there are surprise pink, grey, and brown concrete colors that were under the linoleum. No assortment changes happening other than the name change. Immediately obvious that liquor is not a significant business here as they only have half an aisle of hard liquor, one aisle of wine and one wall of beer. A current format Pavilions would be double or triple this space. Makes sense to rebrand to Vons as that is what this store is, an upscale Vons.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

ClownLoach wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 9:34 am Just left this store. Nothing happening other than colorful repaint lifestyle and concrete floor. The floor is a problem because there are surprise pink, grey, and brown concrete colors that were under the linoleum. No assortment changes happening other than the name change. Immediately obvious that liquor is not a significant business here as they only have half an aisle of hard liquor, one aisle of wine and one wall of beer. A current format Pavilions would be double or triple this space. Makes sense to rebrand to Vons as that is what this store is, an upscale Vons.
As far as the space being cleared out next door one suite is still vacant, the dentist office remains, and Memorial hospital is opening an urgent care in the last space. So the emptying out earlier was coincidental. I still think the center would have been better served if the store downsized and made room for another box there.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 4:47 pm
ClownLoach wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 9:34 am Just left this store. Nothing happening other than colorful repaint lifestyle and concrete floor. The floor is a problem because there are surprise pink, grey, and brown concrete colors that were under the linoleum. No assortment changes happening other than the name change. Immediately obvious that liquor is not a significant business here as they only have half an aisle of hard liquor, one aisle of wine and one wall of beer. A current format Pavilions would be double or triple this space. Makes sense to rebrand to Vons as that is what this store is, an upscale Vons.
As far as the space being cleared out next door one suite is still vacant, the dentist office remains, and Memorial hospital is opening an urgent care in the last space. So the emptying out earlier was coincidental. I still think the center would have been better served if the store downsized and made room for another box there.
I don't know how you'd get two loading docks on the back of that building.

Ideally the store is downsized and the space given up is on the pharmacy side. Conveniently that would allow them to use their current loading dock. But the problem is the way the back lot is configured with getting a loading dock or even any truck loading ability for a second tenant. I suppose there are tenant types like medical, gym, etc. that would not necessarily need much of a back door though.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: March 4th, 2023, 7:56 pm
ClownLoach wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 4:47 pm
I don't know how you'd get two loading docks on the back of that building.

Ideally the store is downsized and the space given up is on the pharmacy side. Conveniently that would allow them to use their current loading dock. But the problem is the way the back lot is configured with getting a loading dock or even any truck loading ability for a second tenant. I suppose there are tenant types like medical, gym, etc. that would not necessarily need much of a back door though.
It is a multi door dock already and lots of space for a flat pallet load dock. Anyway not happening, they were changing medical groups out in those suites.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: March 4th, 2023, 9:08 pm

It is a multi door dock already and lots of space for a flat pallet load dock. Anyway not happening, they were changing medical groups out in those suites.
It will make a nice Ralphs or Kroger shortly.

Space is much too big for Save Mart, not a good fit for that particular location.