Dollar Tree, etc.

veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Dollar Tree, etc.

Post by veteran+ »

Disagree, sorry!

The value of what you get there is nonsense.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

BillyGr wrote: March 6th, 2023, 9:07 am
From the customer point, it's not a WASTE of anything, since you can buy (some) items at a better price, and many people are more concerned about that than using a few extra minutes to stop at an additional store. Like any other store, you have to know what is better and what may not be.
Agree. There are a few things I buy at Dollar Tree semi-regularly as they are still a good value. The outrage over their price increases look silly now as everyone else have also raised their price on everything. Most grocery items at Dollar Tree are still a poor value or poor quality, but some household essentials are still worth stopping in for.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I think Dollar Tree drew a line when it came to the price increase and at the time they went from $1 to $1.25 it looked like a big increase but a ton of other retailers basically followed with 25% price increases all over the place (maybe some of this was driven my product manufacturers too).

I almost think Dollar Tree's move to increase prices at 25% at once fueled major inflation across retail as many other parties "took the idea and ran with it."

I have noticed some better mix at Dollar Tree the past few months...
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: March 6th, 2023, 7:43 am What a MESS, and for anyone operating a company like that in 2023 is astounding.

Hand unloading and/or rollers? That brings up memories when I was 16 years old.

From a consumer POV...................why shop there? Why waist your time?
Many of the stores do not have a loading dock or a pallet jack, since they are often in-line strip units as opposed to anchor spaces.

I find it very strange that stores that do a heavy consumables business do not do pallet deliveries.

The drugstore chains also do a lot of piece deliveries still, some with rollers. Some of them get some pallets.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

veteran+ wrote: March 6th, 2023, 10:32 am Disagree, sorry!

Sorry, but you CAN NOT disagree with FACTS!!

A 5 oz. bottle of steak sauce (A-1) for $1.25 is, in fact ALWAYS a better value than the 10oz. bottle of the same in the supermarket for $4+. You can buy THREE of the small ones, save a quarter and have FIFTY PERCENT MORE PRODUCT, and it is the EXACT SAME STUFF IN THE BOTTLES!

There are other similar items, such as the box of Scotties with 128 tissues for $1.25, while the grocery store in the same plaza had a 110-count box for $1.50.

Then, they often get items that are close to sell by dates, where you'll get a full-size package for $1.25 that would cost $3, $4 or more in the supermarket, the exact same package!

Surely, some of the items are not as good of a value as others, but they are NOT 100% non-valuable either!
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I've started to use Dollar Tree a bit more for convenience purposes. For instance if I am in CA and want a bottle of liquid hand soap for the hotel, I will just go to Dollar Tree if I see one and it is convenient, and pay them 1.25. I know I could do better at Wal Mart or Target but don't always want to go there. I certainly don't want to pay the absurd Safeway or Raleys or Save Mart price that is $2-$3+ for that smallest bottle.

Luckily in other regions I can go to a Kroger owned chain and the hand soap is .89.

I have also found Dollar Tree sells a 16 ounce 70% Rubbing Alcohol at 1.25 (under the old $1 price it was a 50% Rubbing Alcohol). This, again, is significantly cheaper than the $3-$4 price at Safeway or Raleys or Save Mart or the $2+ price at a Kroger owned chain. Wal Mart and Target are somewhere in the high 1's for this item.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

BillyGr wrote: March 7th, 2023, 12:48 pm

A 5 oz. bottle of steak sauce (A-1) for $1.25 is, in fact ALWAYS a better value than the 10oz. bottle of the same in the supermarket for $4+. You can buy THREE of the small ones, save a quarter and have FIFTY PERCENT MORE PRODUCT, and it is the EXACT SAME STUFF IN THE BOTTLES!

There are other similar items, such as the box of Scotties with 128 tissues for $1.25, while the grocery store in the same plaza had a 110-count box for $1.50.

Then, they often get items that are close to sell by dates, where you'll get a full-size package for $1.25 that would cost $3, $4 or more in the supermarket, the exact same package!

Surely, some of the items are not as good of a value as others, but they are NOT 100% non-valuable either!
There is no need to shout.

And I can disagree with your facts as you compiled them with your point of view.

Have a nice day....................peace out ;)
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

veteran+ wrote: March 8th, 2023, 8:16 am

And I can disagree with your facts as you compiled them with your point of view.

Facts don't have a point of view.

$2.50 is ALWAYS less than $4, $1.25 is always less than $1.50.

Perhaps those items are not of use to you, but that doesn't mean that they aren't a better deal at this store than at other stores - that's the fact part.

That fact invalidates your saying that the value of this store is nonsense, as no one would pay more if they are given a choice.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Sometimes with these condiments I prefer a smaller size also because I know I won't go through a full size container before expiration. In many cases the large chain grocers no longer carry small size items so 99 Cents Only is a great place to go for those small size items. I haven't usually considered Dollar Tree for small sized condiment type items due to a lack of brands in the past but I am going to give them another look to see if anything has changed with the 1.25 price point.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

BillyGr wrote: March 8th, 2023, 5:02 pm
veteran+ wrote: March 8th, 2023, 8:16 am

Facts don't have a point of view.

$2.50 is ALWAYS less than $4, $1.25 is always less than $1.50.

Perhaps those items are not of use to you, but that doesn't mean that they aren't a better deal at this store than at other stores - that's the fact part.

That fact invalidates your saying that the value of this store is nonsense, as no one would pay more if they are given a choice.
Again...................have a nice day 8-) 8-)