Portland/Gateway Fred Meyer...Interesting observation

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
Super S

Portland/Gateway Fred Meyer...Interesting observation

Post by Super S »

I was in Portland earlier today and stopped at the Gateway Fred Meyer, which recently completed a major remodel.

One thing I noticed when walking in the front center entrance (between Apparel and Electronics departments)was a podium out in the open, with a flat screen monitor that was watching several security cameras. There was also a "greeter" standing at the podium monitoring these, who looked like a teenage employee.

I found this odd in several ways. Not only could anybody walk up to the podium when the greeter is gathering carts etc., but it made me wonder if this particular location has a high theft rate, as I have not seen a podium set up like this in any other Fred Meyer store. I also got to wondering if the greeter was also responsible for monitoring all security cameras and detaining shoplifters. It seems to me that, out in the open, there would be too many distractions.

Are there any other Fred Meyer stores doing this, or any other Kroger-Family stores for that matter?