Jack In The Box To Expand To Florida & Arkansas

Alpha8472

Jack In The Box To Expand To Florida & Arkansas

Post by Alpha8472 »

Jack In The Box is expanding to Florida and Arkansas. Florida once had Jack In The Box back in the 70s and into the year 1980.

In July 1979 Ralston-Purina closed or sold 279 Jack In The Box locations in the South East.

There will be new restaurants in Orlando and Tampa.

https://www.gottagoorlando.com/post/cra ... in-orlando
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Jack In The Box To Expand To Florida & Arkansas

Post by jamcool »

The reason why J-Box has sites in St Louis is because of the era of Purina ownership-who was also based in St Louis.
bryceleinan
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

Florida & Arkansas aren’t the only places where JIB is expanding… northern Utah is getting several locations in Ogden & Logan.

https://www.standard.net/news/business/ ... hern-utah/
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

The Charlotte area has quite a few Jack in the Box locations. I see locations in and around Charlotte (plus a couple in Hickory/Catawba County) on the NC side with a few in the Rock Hill/Fort Mill area on the SC side of the border and one each in Greenville and Spartanburg. None in the Triad or Raleigh/Durham areas though, nor in the Columbia area.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Hopefully they can run them better than locations around Portland, Seattle, and areas in between. You often don't know if the dining room is even open , let alone the drive thru, all while prices have gone way up. I have lost a lot of respect for this chain in the past couple years.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Maybe they can learn how to cook food that doesn't look and smell like a Purina product.

I'm not even sure if the burgers are actually cooked in the restaurant or just reheated in a microwave from frozen. They could be sous vide too. The patties look and smell like something that has been heavily processed.

Jack in the Box is absolutely terrifying fast food, the bottom of the barrel. They make McDonald's look like fine dining. I cannot understand why they don't fix the concept by cutting off 80% of the frozen foods like Chicken Teriyaki howls and whatever other nonsense they have, then start to focus on making a good, fresh burger and tasty fries.

I'm just praying that they continue to leave Del Taco alone. So far they haven't screwed it up aside from pushing for more locations to flip to 24 hour operation.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: March 8th, 2023, 11:38 pm Maybe they can learn how to cook food that doesn't look and smell like a Purina product.

I'm not even sure if the burgers are actually cooked in the restaurant or just reheated in a microwave from frozen. They could be sous vide too. The patties look and smell like something that has been heavily processed.

Jack in the Box is absolutely terrifying fast food, the bottom of the barrel. They make McDonald's look like fine dining. I cannot understand why they don't fix the concept by cutting off 80% of the frozen foods like Chicken Teriyaki howls and whatever other nonsense they have, then start to focus on making a good, fresh burger and tasty fries.

I'm just praying that they continue to leave Del Taco alone. So far they haven't screwed it up aside from pushing for more locations to flip to 24 hour operation.
The burger I got there a couple months ago was absolutely cooked in the restaurant from a frozen patty. I watched the whole process. It looked like it was made well and came to me sizzling hot. It tasted terrible and you are right the smell was also something, not appetizing. I could not believe how bad it was. That was the first burger I had from Jack in the Box in quite some time (probably 3 years) and I will not get another. I also on a separate visit bought 2 tacos for 99 cents and the tacos also did not taste right, or like they tasted before. The lettuce was okay, the sauce was okay, I omitted the American Cheese, but the taco meat soy substance did not taste the same as before and there seemed to be even less of it.

I had the tacos earlier last year along with a part of a chicken sandwich in a munchie meal sometime in 2022 and that meal seemed like I recalled their food being before- hot, salty, and all fried, good going down but you are sorry later.

After properly made properly seasoned Steak N Shake the past few months these other fast foods just don't do it for me. The burger meat there tasted much better, there was no gristle, the buns were properly heated/grilled, it was double wrapped and stayed hot for 10 minutes after I picked it up. Now Steak N Shake is out of business I guess, so that is that I guess, but I observed their cooking process and see exactly how to prepare the burger using their cooking method at home and do just that.

But back to Jack in the Box I think even a McDonalds thin burger (Cheeseburger, Big Mac, etc.) tastes better than their burger. Not too thrilled with the larger McDonalds burger though- the 1/4lb, just doesn't taste very good.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

storewanderer wrote: March 9th, 2023, 12:08 am The burger I got there a couple months ago was absolutely cooked in the restaurant from a frozen patty. I watched the whole process. It looked like it was made well and came to me sizzling hot. It tasted terrible and you are right the smell was also something, not appetizing. I could not believe how bad it was.
I always forget, then occassionally order one. The ones with the "butter" top are slightly better but only if executed correctly. They do make a decent fried chicken product and I haven't run into the same issue with the tacos as you but they are totally a "college years" nostalgia trigger for me so I might be a little more tolerant. Never thought to request no cheese, that's an interesting idea. Sure miss the old days when sour cream was included (upon request).

I hear what you mean about Del Taco, Clown. I do think maybe our local franchisee is not executing the concept well though, their food has seemed poorer and poorer on every visit. We have few to choose from here, unfortunately.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

Seems like the ship has sailed.

JITB closed most its non-Southwestern markets in the 1980s. (Useless trivia: there was a local Coney Island-type restaurant in Pontiac, MI that was a former JITB that closed shortly before or after I was born, and still looked exactly like a '70s build JITB until it was renovated in the late 2000s). There's little to differentiate JITB from McD's, Wendys, BK, Carl's Jr/Hardees, etc. -- it's long been known for some low-cost options that drove mobs of (drunk?) high school and college aged persons into their stores, but over the last year or so they've been moving away from those promotions. A Jumbo Jack tastes pretty good when it's 1/2 the price of a Whopper, Big Mac or Dave's Single... not so good when it cost more.

There's probably plenty of low-volume BK, Wendy's, etc. franchisees who may be willing to flip if they can save a buck... but long-term, without the marketing support or name recognition, they would fare worse as JITB. In the mid-2000s, local franchisees with deep pockets in Michigan signed deals with Del Taco and Hardee's for aggressive growth... the group that went with Del Taco hasn't grown it beyond the initial push (I don't think they've closed any stores either, and if so, just oneish) and the group that went with Hardee's is in the process of flipping them to Popeyes.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: March 17th, 2023, 1:24 pm Seems like the ship has sailed.

JITB closed most its non-Southwestern markets in the 1980s. (Useless trivia: there was a local Coney Island-type restaurant in Pontiac, MI that was a former JITB that closed shortly before or after I was born, and still looked exactly like a '70s build JITB until it was renovated in the late 2000s). There's little to differentiate JITB from McD's, Wendys, BK, Carl's Jr/Hardees, etc. -- it's long been known for some low-cost options that drove mobs of (drunk?) high school and college aged persons into their stores, but over the last year or so they've been moving away from those promotions. A Jumbo Jack tastes pretty good when it's 1/2 the price of a Whopper, Big Mac or Dave's Single... not so good when it cost more.

There's probably plenty of low-volume BK, Wendy's, etc. franchisees who may be willing to flip if they can save a buck... but long-term, without the marketing support or name recognition, they would fare worse as JITB. In the mid-2000s, local franchisees with deep pockets in Michigan signed deals with Del Taco and Hardee's for aggressive growth... the group that went with Del Taco hasn't grown it beyond the initial push (I don't think they've closed any stores either, and if so, just oneish) and the group that went with Hardee's is in the process of flipping them to Popeyes.
Those BK and Wendys franchise agreements probably have a clause written in that disallows a franchisee from flipping brands like that for a 2 or 3 year period to a directly competing concept. You could flip to a non-competing concept (like close your BK and convert it to KFC) from what I can tell. I've been reading some FDDs lately and they are interesting documents.

Wendy's should be on the upswing if they can get any volume out of their breakfast program without giving food away. The local ones are open inside again but deserted in the morning. Terrible drive through only decision for 2+ years killed their breakfast effort.

The Reno Jack in the Box franchise has radically increased prices but that Jumbo Jack is the one item they haven't gone up too much on- it is 3.99 right now. A Whopper at BK Reno franchisee is 6.59. Big Macs vary in Reno most locations at 5.69 (low 5.29-high 6.19).