Is "SuperTarget" making a comeback?

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
storewanderer

Re: Is "SuperTarget" making a comeback?

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: March 14th, 2023, 11:26 pm
storewanderer wrote: March 13th, 2023, 11:02 pm
This store was in "uptown" which is what it says it is, sort of a mesh between a downtown and a not downtown.

There is a busy small L&B a couple blocks away with a nice big surface parking lot, really that is the site Target needed.
Uptown is the "hipster" neighborhood of Minneapolis, known for its nightclubs, boutiques and music scene. This was where teenagers would hang out in Minneapolis in the 70s and 80s, when my father was in his teen years. He would take the bus to Uptown from Edina, an affluent suburb nearby. Back then, Uptown was known to be a sketchy place- I can imagine it is much nicer now than it was back then. Minneapolis is still one of the most expensive places to live in the Midwest, next to Chicago and Ann Arbor.
Minneapolis is easy to get around in compared to LA or NYC- you can go from Downtown Minneapolis to a backwoods small town in 30 minutes.
Nearby that Uptown Target is a Cub- the exterior kind of looks like an old Buttrey, although I'm 99% sure Buttrey never operated this far east (they did have a store in Moorhead, across the river from Fargo, ND). That store was originally a Del Farm (National discount banner), then National, then Applebaum's (Twin Cities regional chain), then Rainbow, and now Cub.
Definitely not a former Buttrey on that Cub.

Uptown has had some issues since COVID/riots. It was on the "upswing" before COVID. Since then it is a mixed bag. Some blocks are better than others.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

BatteryMill wrote: March 9th, 2023, 7:15 pm Also it could be tricky to restore the SuperTarget brand since the deli + bakery are typically weak, and features like bulk food, meat & seafood counter as well as other services are all long-gone. This is something I'd like to see Target working on, personally.
Not sure it matter anymore - Walmart has gradually been phasing out full-service perimeters. In some stores pressed for space, the deli and bakery counters have been completely removed (to make room for pick-up storage/ etc.). In most others, they’re largely abandoned. The area that use to house various deli salads, meats and cheeses is generally covered somehow - typically with cardboard cutouts advertising various products. The hot food case is usually still being used, although in some stores, these items have been moved to the floor. And the full-service bakery counters have largely been eliminated, with the case now open or housing fake cakes for display (advertising what can be purchased).

Meijer, Kroger, etc. are also deemphasizing full service perimeters. Most of the Ralphs by me carry only select seafood in their full service meat cases, for example.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: March 17th, 2023, 12:48 am
BatteryMill wrote: March 9th, 2023, 7:15 pm Also it could be tricky to restore the SuperTarget brand since the deli + bakery are typically weak, and features like bulk food, meat & seafood counter as well as other services are all long-gone. This is something I'd like to see Target working on, personally.
Not sure it matter anymore - Walmart has gradually been phasing out full-service perimeters. In some stores pressed for space, the deli and bakery counters have been completely removed (to make room for pick-up storage/ etc.). In most others, they’re largely abandoned. The area that use to house various deli salads, meats and cheeses is generally covered somehow - typically with cardboard cutouts advertising various products. The hot food case is usually still being used, although in some stores, these items have been moved to the floor. And the full-service bakery counters have largely been eliminated, with the case now open or housing fake cakes for display (advertising what can be purchased).

Meijer, Kroger, etc. are also deemphasizing full service perimeters. Most of the Ralphs by me carry only select seafood in their full service meat cases, for example.
I heard rumors a few years ago Wal Mart was eliminating the service delis entirely. So far I have yet to see that happen.

These Wal Mart bakery/deli departments are still selling a few thousand a day in products even when they don't look very busy. They have a lot of product out. Not saying it is appealing but it is there. Super Target has so little out it is basically a joke. I doubt they sell $1,000 a day from their bakery/deli in many of the stores.

I've been in dozens of Wal Mart Supercenters including in CA and am not seeing any major difference in their bakery/deli program today vs. the program they've had historically. The only difference I see is they stopped selling things like pasta salad etc. via the service case a few years ago, maybe longer now. However this is not unusual- Publix, a very large competitor, does not sell that stuff via a service case either. There was one that had a sandwich service counter which I never saw make custom sandwiches and that was removed in a recent remodel and the self serve case expanded into that space.

Every Wal Mart Supercenter including stores remodeled a few months ago I've been into still has a service deli that has sliced lunchmeats and the same case size as always (larger than they need). The selection is not great, but it never was great. They still make various prepack sandwiches and wraps in store and package them. They have a case in front of deli in most locations with what looks like prepackaged in store sliced lunchmeats but that is actually coming in pre-sliced and is not sliced in store, but is supposedly the same stuff they slice in store, and the store weighs it and puts a deli tag on it, it looks store sliced but is not.

I've never seen a Wal Mart Supercenter with a service bakery case. The only set up I've ever seen has always been the self serve cake case which is filled with mostly thaw and sell products. Even in stores with the old configuration with bakery on the back wall I have never seen a service case, just that oversized self service cake display. And that display case looks exactly the same as it has looked for the past 20 years. In recent store remodels that case stays and is the same size and merchandising as before the remodels. The self serve donut cases are still the same but they pack donuts into 2 packs now; same for the rolls and bagels, all are in 2 packs.

I see quite a bit of markdown product throughout Wal Mart's bakery and deli. Deli is just not good but bakery has some okay items.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

Bagels wrote: March 17th, 2023, 12:48 am Meijer, Kroger, etc. are also deemphasizing full service perimeters. Most of the Ralphs by me carry only select seafood in their full service meat cases, for example.
I'm surprised that fully-grocery chains are doing away with full-service. There are still plenty of chains that have such a focus. Either way SuperTarget still has the chance for other features like bulk foods.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

storewanderer wrote: March 17th, 2023, 1:13 amI heard rumors a few years ago Wal Mart was eliminating the service delis entirely. So far I have yet to see that happen.

These Wal Mart bakery/deli departments are still selling a few thousand a day in products even when they don't look very busy. They have a lot of product out. Not saying it is appealing but it is there. Super Target has so little out it is basically a joke. I doubt they sell $1,000 a day from their bakery/deli in many of the stores.

I've been in dozens of Wal Mart Supercenters including in CA and am not seeing any major difference in their bakery/deli program today vs. the program they've had historically. The only difference I see is they stopped selling things like pasta salad etc. via the service case a few years ago, maybe longer now. However this is not unusual- Publix, a very large competitor, does not sell that stuff via a service case either. There was one that had a sandwich service counter which I never saw make custom sandwiches and that was removed in a recent remodel and the self serve case expanded into that space.

Every Wal Mart Supercenter including stores remodeled a few months ago I've been into still has a service deli that has sliced lunchmeats and the same case size as always (larger than they need). The selection is not great, but it never was great. They still make various prepack sandwiches and wraps in store and package them. They have a case in front of deli in most locations with what looks like prepackaged in store sliced lunchmeats but that is actually coming in pre-sliced and is not sliced in store, but is supposedly the same stuff they slice in store, and the store weighs it and puts a deli tag on it, it looks store sliced but is not.

I've never seen a Wal Mart Supercenter with a service bakery case. The only set up I've ever seen has always been the self serve cake case which is filled with mostly thaw and sell products. Even in stores with the old configuration with bakery on the back wall I have never seen a service case, just that oversized self service cake display. And that display case looks exactly the same as it has looked for the past 20 years. In recent store remodels that case stays and is the same size and merchandising as before the remodels. The self serve donut cases are still the same but they pack donuts into 2 packs now; same for the rolls and bagels, all are in 2 packs.

I see quite a bit of markdown product throughout Wal Mart's bakery and deli. Deli is just not good but bakery has some okay items.
Walmart has definitely cut back on their service delis. Stores generally catered to their local markets. In 2008, a Walmart Supercenter opened in an upscale area near where my parents reside. It featured an expanded deli with traditional hot foods; a large array of meats, cheese and deli salads; soup & salad bar; custom sandwiches and “to go” entrees (lasagna, meatballs, quesadillas, etc.) Today, the meats, cheeses and deli salads are presliced/proportioned and served “grab and go.” The soup and salad bar has been eliminated – only the hot foods section (albeit reduced) remains full-service. They didn’t remove the counter – it’s still there, but features cardboard cutouts of various deli products advertising what’ in the grab in go. Yes, the store retains sandwiches & salads as “grab and go,” but whether these are prepared in store or not doesn’t make a difference to the consumer – there’s little to differentiate Walmart from a Trader Joes, Alid – and it’s the same as a Smart & Final.

This particular store (and several others that I’ve been in, including Foothills Ranch near me) featured a full-service bakery, where select high-end products were in a display case. Walmart no longer carries those and everything else is “grab and go,” although they still do cake orders (I believe they’re trying to move this online).

I have been in a few Walmarts where the deli / bakery counters have been completely removed, and hot foods are served grab and go style. Generally, these are stores pressed for space. Guess if the space isn’t needed, Walmart kept the counters.

The former Irvine Walmart use to have tons of bakery and deli markdowns -- you could get a packaged meal for $1 (marked around $6 at the time). The other locations near me infrequently mark stuff done. The other Irvine location only marks baked goods down when they're stale. Hard pass.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

BatteryMill wrote: March 17th, 2023, 12:10 pm
Bagels wrote: March 17th, 2023, 12:48 am Meijer, Kroger, etc. are also deemphasizing full service perimeters. Most of the Ralphs by me carry only select seafood in their full service meat cases, for example.
I'm surprised that fully-grocery chains are doing away with full-service. There are still plenty of chains that have such a focus. Either way SuperTarget still has the chance for other features like bulk foods.
All traditional supermarkets in Palm Springs, Los Angeles and San Diego have most of the service fresh counters. A few may be missing seafood or in store bakery.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: March 17th, 2023, 1:40 pm

Walmart has definitely cut back on their service delis. Stores generally catered to their local markets. In 2008, a Walmart Supercenter opened in an upscale area near where my parents reside. It featured an expanded deli with traditional hot foods; a large array of meats, cheese and deli salads; soup & salad bar; custom sandwiches and “to go” entrees (lasagna, meatballs, quesadillas, etc.) Today, the meats, cheeses and deli salads are presliced/proportioned and served “grab and go.” The soup and salad bar has been eliminated – only the hot foods section (albeit reduced) remains full-service. They didn’t remove the counter – it’s still there, but features cardboard cutouts of various deli products advertising what’ in the grab in go. Yes, the store retains sandwiches & salads as “grab and go,” but whether these are prepared in store or not doesn’t make a difference to the consumer – there’s little to differentiate Walmart from a Trader Joes, Alid – and it’s the same as a Smart & Final.

This particular store (and several others that I’ve been in, including Foothills Ranch near me) featured a full-service bakery, where select high-end products were in a display case. Walmart no longer carries those and everything else is “grab and go,” although they still do cake orders (I believe they’re trying to move this online).

I have been in a few Walmarts where the deli / bakery counters have been completely removed, and hot foods are served grab and go style. Generally, these are stores pressed for space. Guess if the space isn’t needed, Walmart kept the counters.

The former Irvine Walmart use to have tons of bakery and deli markdowns -- you could get a packaged meal for $1 (marked around $6 at the time). The other locations near me infrequently mark stuff done. The other Irvine location only marks baked goods down when they're stale. Hard pass.
I've never seen any of that like a soup/salad bar and to go entrees in a Wal Mart Supercenter deli. Sounds like a complete one off type of store. I can only imagine the shrink that store must have been having. I've been in hundreds of locations and never seen any of that. Not even in Bentonville (they do have pizza there though).

But a deli counter with sliced to order meat and hot food service (priced per unit now not per pound, so they can sell on Doordash or something) continues to be their standard program. This includes basically every Wal Mart Supercenter I've been to in CA throughout the state. A couple undersized stores have smaller departments but they still have the service meat/hot food and various prepackaged options. That is what they have in thousands of stores, and service hot food. Plus a lot of prepack stuff. They actually allocate a fair amount of labor to deli to support their standard program as they have to allocate a chunk of labor to customer service, a chunk to production, and another chunk to clean up. Their program is much more extensive and labor involved than a Trader Joe's, Smart & Final, or Aldi. Not even at the same level and it is also doing infinitely more deli sales than 2 of those 3 do (Trader Joe's with a lot of prepack ready to eat meals has strong sales but their lunchmeat sales are almost nothing).

Not sure where they were going with a service bakery case. I've never seen that in the US. That was a program that definitely did not happen outside of a select few stores in the US. Maybe some in Mexico. They don't allocate labor in bakery to provide customer service. They only allocate labor in bakery to do production (that goes along the lines of what you mention about wanting to take cake orders online or via the app).

The only stores I've seen where they do not have a deli/bakery counter and hot foods are prepack only are in some (most now that I think about it) Neighborhood Market units. I've never seen that set up in a Supercenter.

The counters are a standard offer in the Supercenters. It is one of the things that defines a Supercenter to have those departments, to have an offer that is comparable in mix (won't go there on quality) to a regular grocery store. The size of the counters varies. In the later builds the departments got a lot smaller but the item mix didn't really reduce much.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

storewanderer wrote: March 17th, 2023, 3:14 pm I've never seen any of that like a soup/salad bar and to go entrees in a Wal Mart Supercenter deli. Sounds like a complete one off type of store. I can only imagine the shrink that store must have been having. I've been in hundreds of locations and never seen any of that. Not even in Bentonville (they do have pizza there though).
Not sure where they were going with a service bakery case. I've never seen that in the US. That was a program that definitely did not happen outside of a select few stores in the US. Maybe some in Mexico. They don't allocate labor in bakery to provide customer service. They only allocate labor in bakery to do production (that goes along the lines of what you mention about wanting to take cake orders online or via the app).
They used that format in some stores built out in the late 2000s/early 2010s. The first one I saw was a then new build store right outside of Disney World. That was also my last visit to Orlando, so I don't recall exactly where it was, but it was a short drive from where we were staying at the Sheraton Vistana Villlages (they built an expansion that was basically a new resort... I think it may have been renamed, as it wasn't directly connected to the older section IIRC). They also built out some in Metro Detroit, when they opened their first SuperCenters in 2008. Probably a competitive response to Meijer, which had opened several prototypes of an expansive deli. Those were scrapped when the economy tanked.
But a deli counter with sliced to order meat and hot food service (priced per unit now not per pound, so they can sell on Doordash or something) continues to be their standard program. This includes basically every Wal Mart Supercenter I've been to in CA throughout the state. A couple undersized stores have smaller departments but they still have the service meat/hot food and various prepackaged options. That is what they have in thousands of stores, and service hot food. Plus a lot of prepack stuff. They actually allocate a fair amount of labor to deli to support their standard program as they have to allocate a chunk of labor to customer service, a chunk to production, and another chunk to clean up. Their program is much more extensive and labor involved than a Trader Joe's, Smart & Final, or Aldi. Not even at the same level and it is also doing infinitely more deli sales than 2 of those 3 do (Trader Joe's with a lot of prepack ready to eat meals has strong sales but their lunchmeat sales are almost nothing).
I checked with the nearest store today -- they have limited hours in which they will freshly slice select deli meats while you shop. Everything else is grab and go. I'm guessing what they're willing to slice... isn't offered in the grab and go cases. And yes, while everything is sliced in stores, ultimately it's no different than stores that ship in vacuum sealed packages. This is the same thing Ralphs/ Kroger is doing. I also noticed yesterday that Albertsons will only slice mostly D&W meats, with their house brand served in vacuum sealed bags in the grab and go case.
The only stores I've seen where they do not have a deli/bakery counter and hot foods are prepack only are in some (most now that I think about it) Neighborhood Market units. I've never seen that set up in a Supercenter.

The counters are a standard offer in the Supercenters. It is one of the things that defines a Supercenter to have those departments, to have an offer that is comparable in mix (won't go there on quality) to a regular grocery store. The size of the counters varies. In the later builds the departments got a lot smaller but the item mix didn't really reduce much.
I don't venture into a lot of Walmarts but I've seen it several times. They removed the service counters from the now-closed south Irvine location and sealed the area off / converted it into a pick up spot. The north Irvine location doesn't have any service counters, although it's a converted Sam's Club. A location near my parents was expanded into a SuperCenter and does not have the counters. The Laguna Niguel location was suppose to be expanded into a SuperCenter and maps did not show service counters -- although that location is constrained by space. They started the scrapped the remodel process... not sure if they ever went through with it. I go by it frequently so I'll check it out. The Anaheim location was gutted when I was in there last summer. I'll have to check it out, too, but press reports indicate they opened a large pick-up area so I'm guessing the counters were removed there as well.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Bagels wrote: March 19th, 2023, 5:46 pm
storewanderer wrote: March 17th, 2023, 3:14 pm I've never seen any of that like a soup/salad bar and to go entrees in a Wal Mart Supercenter deli. Sounds like a complete one off type of store. I can only imagine the shrink that store must have been having. I've been in hundreds of locations and never seen any of that. Not even in Bentonville (they do have pizza there though).
They used that format in some stores built out in the late 2000s/early 2010s. The first one I saw was a then new build store right outside of Disney World. That was also my last visit to Orlando, so I don't recall exactly where it was, but it was a short drive from where we were staying at the Sheraton Vistana Villlages (they built an expansion that was basically a new resort... I think it may have been renamed, as it wasn't directly connected to the older section IIRC). They also built out some in Metro Detroit, when they opened their first SuperCenters in 2008. Probably a competitive response to Meijer, which had opened several prototypes of an expansive deli. Those were scrapped when the economy tanked.
I checked with the nearest store today -- they have limited hours in which they will freshly slice select deli meats while you shop. Everything else is grab and go. I'm guessing what they're willing to slice... isn't offered in the grab and go cases. And yes, while everything is sliced in stores, ultimately it's no different than stores that ship in vacuum sealed packages. This is the same thing Ralphs/ Kroger is doing. I also noticed yesterday that Albertsons will only slice mostly D&W meats, with their house brand served in vacuum sealed bags in the grab and go case.

I don't venture into a lot of Walmarts but I've seen it several times. They removed the service counters from the now-closed south Irvine location and sealed the area off / converted it into a pick up spot. The north Irvine location doesn't have any service counters, although it's a converted Sam's Club. A location near my parents was expanded into a SuperCenter and does not have the counters. The Laguna Niguel location was suppose to be expanded into a SuperCenter and maps did not show service counters -- although that location is constrained by space. They started the scrapped the remodel process... not sure if they ever went through with it. I go by it frequently so I'll check it out. The Anaheim location was gutted when I was in there last summer. I'll have to check it out, too, but press reports indicate they opened a large pick-up area so I'm guessing the counters were removed there as well.
I'm pretty sure that North Irvine location had deli and bakery counters when it opened up - and they walled them off to make the pickup space. The front grocery aisles end ackwardly into mismatched wall cooler cases that look like they were added after the store opened. I generally avoided that location because the parking lot was complete chaos.

I noticed the aborted remodel in Laguna Niguel. They had half the lot cordoned off, containers and construction trailers ready to go for some time. I saw another similar situation somewhere else, might have been Brea?

There are several Walmart stores like that one which opened in California with deliberately planned open space to the side for expansion into a Supercenter with full grocery. The only ones I can think of that actually expanded are Cerritos, Poway and Foothill Ranch. For some reason or another they have never moved on expanding Laguna Niguel or Murrieta which both have the expansion pad. Murrieta would really benefit from such a project as the closest Target lacks P-fresh groceries due to a lease restriction with the Albertsons next door and there really aren't any other grocery stores in the immediate area besides Amazon Fresh (Usually when you find a Target without P-fresh you'll see an Albertsons or former Albertsons as Co tenant, they restricted food retailers in their leases).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: March 19th, 2023, 5:46 pm

It seems like these irregular stores are where they deviate from their standard service deli/bakery format. These are very limited numbers of locations. The typical large Wal Mart Supercenter that there are thousands of across the US has a service deli counter with full lunchmeat/cheese slicing available all day into the night and a service hot food case. This program is about on par with what I'd call an "average" supermarket deli looking at delis across the US net for net. It is poor compared to other supermarket delis in the eastern US or Chicago but it is better than a typical supermarket deli in much of the middle of the US.

Their service delis have sliced lunchmeat until 7 PM most of the time (some later), and service hot food until 7 PM or 8 PM depending on the location. The deli case looks no different than any other supermarket deli there are a bunch of slabs of lunchmeat sitting there ready to be sliced. The employees don't direct customers to pre-sliced product if they approach the counter, they ask how much they want and slice the product just like any other supermarket deli. There are some of these Wal Marts that actually do a surprisingly high volume of service deli lunchmeat business (seems to be the ones that compete mostly with Save Mart/Raleys in the middle of Reno) in my area. Others despite being busy stores do very little service deli lunchmeat business. The lunchmeat in Wal Mart's "best" deli store brand Prima Bella or something is comparable in quality to brands like Kretchmer (may be the same stuff) but is a definite step down from a Dietz & Watson or Boar's Head product. Wal Mart delis do thousands of dollars a day in sales. Their deli program is likely not very profitable but does enough volume to cover its costs.

The one thing I have seen Wal Mart universally remove is seafood. Seafood is what I have seen them recover (since it was usually already walled off) space from to build the pick up areas. They also took some space from produce prep (and they send more produce in that is "shelf ready" so the stores do not have to do as much processing of the produce).

So going back to the Target topic, in the places that have a Super Target, there is typically a standard Wal Mart Supercenter there- a big store built in the 2000's and it has the full service deli, full service hot food, various sandwiches made in store, and large bakery where certain items like french bread are baked daily from frozen raw/proofed dough, donuts are made and finished daily from frozen raw dough, most everything else is defrost and sell, and custom cake orders are available. This program is much more extensive than Super Target's offer and this is a real disadvantage for Target where they compete. Target announced years ago they were going to start selling Boar's Head products in their stores. I have yet to see these products.