Service Meat/Seafood and Pre-Cut Meat

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Service Meat/Seafood and Pre-Cut Meat

Post by storewanderer »

I read in some Kroger employee message boards on Reddit some interesting things.

It appears there are a significant number of Kroger units that get pre-cut meat. However, the meat for the service meat case was still being cut in store. King Soopers has gotten pre-cut meat for 20+ years and has a meat facility in Denver that does the pre-cut but I was not aware this was so common in other Kroger divisions.

Smiths in recent years has actually moved away from pre-cut meat; all of their pork used to be pre-cut but now it is about 50/50 some cut in store some pre-cut. All of the beef is cut in store. Some of the chicken is even packaged in store but most is not.

I am reading now that they have given notice to the service meat/seafood department in various stores, it sounds like mostly smaller markets/medium markets (as opposed to large metro areas) that they are closing the service meat/seafood departments. I think these are Kroger banner stores, but it is unclear.

I remember Albertsons back in the "Larry" days, closed a number of the Butcher Blocks due to low sales (closed by putting cardboard displays in front of the empty service case). What was funny is those departments mostly ended up reopening a few months after being closed due to excessive customer complaints as well as lost meat department sales.