Lowes exterior sales area dark

cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Lowes exterior sales area dark

Post by cjd »

I’ve noticed lately that the outdoor department at Lowes is very dimly lit during the day. Not the open top part or the greenhouse, but the part that is covered just outside, where things like flower pots, garden tools and fencing are stocked.

Several aisles and there were no lights on in this area. Could barely see anything let alone the prices.

It’s the second time I’ve seen this. I wonder if something changed or I just never noticed before.

This was during the middle of a sunny day.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Lowes exterior sales area dark

Post by ClownLoach »

cjd wrote: March 19th, 2023, 1:48 pm I’ve noticed lately that the outdoor department at Lowes is very dimly lit during the day. Not the open top part or the greenhouse, but the part that is covered just outside, where things like flower pots, garden tools and fencing are stocked.

Several aisles and there were no lights on in this area. Could barely see anything let alone the prices.

It’s the second time I’ve seen this. I wonder if something changed or I just never noticed before.

This was during the middle of a sunny day.
I buy a lot of gardening items and generally the lights are left off during daylight hours at Lowe's and Home Depot, but due to the orientation of the building or construction of the canopy the light varies widely from store to store. The Lowe's next to my house is pretty dark in there because the building faces Northeast. A large Home Depot nearby is even darker for the same reason. The next Lowe's over is south facing and these aisles are bright all day to the point of faded packaging on many items. All of these stores just use timers for these departments instead of light sensors to save money.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

I have noticed that Lowes tends to close the garden center gates early sometimes.
I believe they do during the winter months when it gets dark earlier, though I live in Florida.

This evening we had a thunderstorm coming and the gates were shut around 5:30.

I watched at least two people park on that end and approach that entrance, one of which noticed it immediately upon getting out, the other got to the gates and keep trying to find a way in before going to the front doors.

I believe Home Depot tends to keep its gates open more frequently.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

cjd wrote: July 13th, 2023, 7:16 pm I have noticed that Lowes tends to close the garden center gates early sometimes.
I believe they do during the winter months when it gets dark earlier, though I live in Florida....
That was also the case when I lived in San Diego, at least at the Fenton Marketplace (Mission Valley area) store.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

rwsandiego wrote: July 14th, 2023, 7:13 pm
cjd wrote: July 13th, 2023, 7:16 pm I have noticed that Lowes tends to close the garden center gates early sometimes.
I believe they do during the winter months when it gets dark earlier, though I live in Florida....
That was also the case when I lived in San Diego, at least at the Fenton Marketplace (Mission Valley area) store.
I find the opposite in SoCal, Lowe's maintains 6am to 8pm on the gates while Home Depot does whatever they want. Some days the garden gates never open.

Also the Lowe's all around me just replaced every light fixture from parking lot to bathrooms. They were already nice LED fixtures but they replaced them all again and the newer fixtures are tiny squares bolted to the ceiling, with hanging LED acrylic lit rails over appliances and the other feature departments. They look great and are very bright. They're going through the whole chain trying to standardize and refresh as much as possible. It's nice because they're getting the consistency Home Depot lacks - same item is in same aisle in every store for very easy shopping.