Krispy Kreme Discontinues Grocery Store Line

Alpha8472

Krispy Kreme Discontinues Grocery Store Line

Post by Alpha8472 »

Krispy Kreme is ending its grocery store line. They will focus on fresh donuts and donuts sold at McDonald's.

The grocery store ones had preservatives and were stale.

https://www.eatthis.com/krispy-kreme-grocery-donuts/
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Krispy Kreme Discontinues Grocery Store Line

Post by Brian Lutz »

Can't recall ever seeing these in the store. I do see boxes of Krispy Kremes at the local Walmarts though, presumably supplied from the Krispy Kreme in Sandy.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

Interesting. Ralphs’s recently replaced Kroger doughnuts with Krispy Kreme at select stores.

storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

$1.99 EACH at Ralphs? And the trays look like they sold...

Wal Mart sold these "grocery store line" Krispy Kreme donuts and many convenience stores did too. They were at the bread aisle in a box like an Entenmanns, Hostess, or Little Debbie product (sealed in air tight plastic)- these were like vending machine donuts. They came through the grocery store chain's distribution center.

This isn't about the boxes of locally made Krispy Kreme sold in 6ct and 12ct boxes at Wal Mart, etc. those will still be sold; that program seems to be expanding. Smiths added them around Reno in the past few weeks.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

They've been in and out of supermarkets for at least 20 years. Kroger used to sell dozen packs when I lived in Atlanta. They've come and gone at Giant-Landover. Given that their signature donuts are at their best (and still not great) when they're "fresh" (i.e.., freshly thawed/cooked), I'd imagine this hasn't been a big performer for them. I've rarely if ever seen anyone actually buy the packaged product. They're probably no better than supermarket donuts but may have some appeal when sold loose.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

$1.99 is not that different than Safeway. A Safeway in San Ramon, California with Pavilions decor sells boring store made donuts for $1.79 each.
mjhale
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by mjhale »

Alpha8472 wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 3:32 pm $1.99 is not that different than Safeway. A Safeway in San Ramon, California with Pavilions decor sells boring store made donuts for $1.79 each.
$1.79 for a donut?! I thought $1 each at Safeway on the east cost was bad. They used to be 59 cents a piece before all the price increases.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

These supermarket Krispy Kreme products always looked disgusting, slimy and stale appearance. Their product is only good in the plain original glazed, only if eaten red hot within a couple minutes after taken off the doughnut machine. The glaze turns to liquid and the doughnut loses most of its flavor after that. And I'm pretty sure they're less expensive at their actual stores where they're fresh.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 11:33 pm These supermarket Krispy Kreme products always looked disgusting, slimy and stale appearance. Their product is only good in the plain original glazed, only if eaten red hot within a couple minutes after taken off the doughnut machine. The glaze turns to liquid and the doughnut loses most of its flavor after that. And I'm pretty sure they're less expensive at their actual stores where they're fresh.
I think in CA they are 1.69 each on original glazed in the KK Store and more on any flavors. WKS has been very aggressive on price hikes at the KK Stores. I think it is the only way the stores are surviving.

Last 3 times I've seen hot light on at Sparks KK I go in and they have nothing hot available, so I have just left without buying anything. The store never has any customers. They have 2 dumpsters out back that are always overflowing with trash bags full of unsold donuts from the store there, or boxes of the donuts they prepack for Wal Mart and Smiths that I guess have expired so they pick back up and drive them back to the KK Store to throw away. No clue how this is a profitable thing but clearly they know something I don't about how to profit in a business where you throw away what looks like 90% of the donuts you make (must be that terrible pricing).

I used to like the Chocolate Cake and Blueberry Cake flavors that KK made but that seems to have disappeared under WKS as they have severely cut product variety and significantly increased prices at their KK Stores. Yet every new KK market entry results in record crowds for weeks at the new store (they had a fantastic opening in Colorado Springs I stumbled across last year that I heard was their best opening ever) then traffic dwindles down to almost nothing over the later months.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

I don't think even 7-Eleven charges $1.99 for a donut here. The ones I usually get at Winco are $0.79 apiece (used to be $0.59 before inflation hit) and perfectly servicable if unspectacular.