Fast food locations that flat grill vs fire grill

cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Fast food locations that flat grill vs fire grill

Post by cjd »

Some fast food chains seem to cook their hamburgers and some chicken products on char grills, others use flat griddles.

Hardee’s used to offer char-co broiled burgers since their inception. At some point in the 1980s to around 1990 they began using flat griddles instead, as far as I know. About a decade ago they started char grilling again, with automatic broilers.

McDonald’s and Wendy’s have always used flat griddles. Their griddles have a top clamshell that closes down to cook both sides at once.

Burger King has flame broiled burgers. They use a machine with a conveyor that has bars like a barbecue grill. The burgers go into the broiler on the conveyor and are flame grilled from both sides. Im not sure if the flames touch the burgers or if the flames are mainly occasional flare ups that occur.

The Burger Chef chain used to use a very similar automatic broiler to Burger King since their start, at some point in the 1970s, they switched to flat griddles.

Hardee’s/Carls Jr and Checkers use the same kind of automatic broiler in their operations As Burger King.

Sonic and Five Guys, from what I’ve seen, use flat griddles.

The older DQ locations that started out under Brazier seem to have always used flat griddles. The newer locations have flame grilling but I’m not sure if it’s the automatic broiler type or an open grill.