McDonald's preparing for big staffing cuts

cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: McDonald's preparing for big staffing cuts

Post by cjd »

Why does McDonald’s kiosk require a table number to be input when ordering to dine in. As far as I know McDonald’s does NOT provide table service, the order has to be picked up at the counter.

Some years ago I took the table number to my table not realizing this. After about 5 minutes of waiting, I went to the counter to see what was taking so long and realized my order was there and they were quite annoyed that I hadn’t come and gotten it already.

If you aren’t going to bring the order, don’t provide or require the numbers to place an order!
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Staffing/franchisee issue. They did used to bring out food tableside if you used the kiosk to order. (which where I am presently living is basically forced on patrons, though some old folks complain loudly and an employee will take their order and payment)
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The few remaining Walmart McDonald's don't have kiosks. These very busy high volume locations have 2 cashiers when busy. There isn't any room for kiosks. The service is fast and ordering is fast as well.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

When the first kiosks were installed in Reno the corporate line was they actually increased staffing as a result of the kiosks so they could do this thing where they bring the order out to your table. Most locations do have a stack of plastic order numbers on a rack next to the kiosk. However I never see them bring orders to tables anymore at any location, anywhere, many states, many different franchisees, even some corporate operated locations down in SoCal/Las Vegas and table service is absolutely NOT happening over the past couple of years.

Carls Jr. also is not doing the limited table service format anymore where they bring the order to your table either.

Taco Johns is still doing the limited table service format where they bring your order out to the table. Theirs sometimes also includes trash pick up.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

I went to McDonalds this morning and both kiosks I tried were totally unusable for me. The first wouldn’t let me even get to the breakfast platter section, but would let me get to drinks, the other wouldn’t let me even get past the first screen.

If they’re intending to go kiosk only they really need to improve their system.

I won’t be using it again.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

cjd wrote: September 29th, 2023, 5:42 pm I went to McDonalds this morning ...

You must be lucky. In our locations locally, no one is ever at the register / menu board. Good luck!
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

SamSpade wrote: October 2nd, 2023, 10:52 am

You must be lucky. In our locations locally, no one is ever at the register / menu board. Good luck!
They are always around somewhere, seeing as how the kiosks can place orders but can't take money (note that says money, not plastic things that will pay later).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: October 2nd, 2023, 2:49 pm
SamSpade wrote: October 2nd, 2023, 10:52 am

They are always around somewhere, seeing as how the kiosks can place orders but can't take money (note that says money, not plastic things that will pay later).
If the location has enough cash customers the counter will actually be staffed. I am seeing the counter actively ignored. Customers literally have to yell/beg for help at the register.

They probably need a cash accepting kiosk then they really can ignore the counter all the time which seems to be what they want to do anyway.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: October 2nd, 2023, 10:49 pm
BillyGr wrote: October 2nd, 2023, 2:49 pm They are always around somewhere, seeing as how the kiosks can place orders but can't take money (note that says money, not plastic things that will pay later).
If the location has enough cash customers the counter will actually be staffed. I am seeing the counter actively ignored. Customers literally have to yell/beg for help at the register.

They probably need a cash accepting kiosk then they really can ignore the counter all the time which seems to be what they want to do anyway.
Thinking of the couple I've been at, one usually has someone around that area - the other not so much, but they are coming out with orders and such, so they at least look and see if someone is there needing help every so often.
Wondering also if the system alerts them somehow that the order has been placed on the kiosk but not paid for - that would make sense as well, since they don't want to make the order, bring it out and have someone take it and walk off without paying.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: October 3rd, 2023, 7:27 am
storewanderer wrote: October 2nd, 2023, 10:49 pm
BillyGr wrote: October 2nd, 2023, 2:49 pm They are always around somewhere, seeing as how the kiosks can place orders but can't take money (note that says money, not plastic things that will pay later).

Thinking of the couple I've been at, one usually has someone around that area - the other not so much, but they are coming out with orders and such, so they at least look and see if someone is there needing help every so often.
Wondering also if the system alerts them somehow that the order has been placed on the kiosk but not paid for - that would make sense as well, since they don't want to make the order, bring it out and have someone take it and walk off without paying.
They go into the cash register under pending orders to see kiosk initiated but not yet paid orders (this would also display "future scheduled" mobile orders) and once they collect payment for the kiosk-initiated order, then it goes back to the kitchen.

So if someone was in front of a register they could go into pending orders and see the un-paid-for kiosk order but otherwise there is no alert that goes to the kitchen until the order is actually fully paid for.