Costa Mesa/Newport Beach Ralphs loses Fresh Fare branding

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Costa Mesa/Newport Beach Ralphs loses Fresh Fare branding

Post by storewanderer »

Foothills Ranch Ralphs is open until 1 AM every day now.

Produce in the middle of the store isn't that unusual in recent years. Raleys throughout the mid 90's and into the 00's did numerous store remodels where they moved produce into the middle of the store. Raleys typically has split aisles so it made it even worse.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Bagels wrote: April 17th, 2023, 8:20 pm
ClownLoach wrote: April 17th, 2023, 4:34 pm
Bagels wrote: April 16th, 2023, 11:54 pm There isn't much difference between Fresh Fare and plain 'ole Ralphs these days. And Kroger has begun localizing merchandise. The El Toro Ralphs, for example, carries more Home Chef product than the nearby Woodbury Fresh Fare. Both stores were built at the same time with an identical layout, but whereas the Woodbury store features its third décor package, El Toro is one of the few retaining the 2000s décor package (that it was built with) and it looks like they're closing the pharmacy. In other words... it's the inferior performer, but obviously those $30 Home Chef meals must sell pretty good.
Ralphs has made the Fresh Fare sign meaningless. Is it a regular Ralphs with a different sign? Is it a Ralphs trying to be like Whole Foods? Is it a Ralphs trying to be like Gelsons or Bristol Farms? It could be any of those things depending on which location you enter.

That El Toro store is just dismal. It is dark and depressing, I can't believe that has sat with zero improvement for almost 20 years. It was always the closest Ralphs in drive time when I lived by the Spectrum but I would go out of my way to shop at the one across the street from The Market Place on Jamboree, or I would sometimes go to Woodbury only to regret the decision the second I pulled into the dysfunctional parking lot full of people who can't drive. My guess is that it makes enough money to break even or turn a small profit (especially because it has noticeably higher prices than the other surrounding Ralphs) and they'd rather sit on it versus give up the site which I'm guessing would become the first Northgate in South OC.

If you really want to see a head scratcher go to the new Foothill Ranch Fresh Fare. No exterior FF sign (unless they added one recently, it only said Fresh Fare on window graphics). Weird barnwood and shiplap decor. Nothing about it feels "fresh" to me, nor was there any change in assortment at all. This is apparently the "Whole Foods knockoff" version.

I found a news article from over 20 years ago when Ralphs launched FF under Fred Meyer ownership. What was interesting is that the concept was for smaller, older stores in upscale neighborhoods and originally was just a reset/remerchandising exercise with a remodel later on. Some of these stores, like Anaheim Hills, have received multiple remodels since posting the FF branding but still do not have FF decor and are basically a regular Ralphs inside.

https://www.supermarketnews.com/archive ... erishables

At this point I think it's time to just retire the FF sub-branding entirely. In the unlikely event the merger goes through maybe they can start again with the Pavilions name and current concept in the correct locations. These can become "Ralphs Pavilions."
In fairness... many, if not most, of the original FF elements -- expanded produce selection (especially organic), Boar's Head deli products, expanded meat (emphasis on prepared meats like fajitas, London broil etc.), expanded wine selection, etc. have found their way into nearly every Kroger, I think the biggest problem... is that people who are willing to pay for an upscale shopping experience, aren't looking to do so at Ralph's. Look at the rebooted Pavilions concept - it's largely been a bust, and many of the upgraded features have already been scrapped. Some -- like the butter trays in the meat department (garlic butter, etc.), prepared meat dishes (like stuffed chicken or whatnot), have found themselves in high-volume Vons/Ralphs, even while exiting Pavilions.

The Foothills Ranch Ralphs is a good example -- not my favorite store to begin with given that its hours have historically deviated from the rest of the chain. Since the mid-2010s, South OC Ralphs generally close at 1AM. Not this store -- even before COVID it was shuttered at 9PM on Sundays. I noticed the new décor package, but I didn't notice it had been "upgraded" to Fresh Fare. Or any other changes, for that matter. You'd think they'd get rid of the awful layout, which features the produce in the center of the store, a la mid-century supermarkets.

On a side note, I'm surprised Northgate (or another Latino) grocer hasn't entered Lake Forest. Plenty of options in recent years -- it took many years for the two shuttered Vons to find new owners. And Smart & Final is probably desperate to offload the store across from Ralph's -- huge (for S&F) and minimal business. Although that store has operated as a central bakery for the chain in years past.
I think that most Pavilions still have produce in the middle (or somewhat in the middle).

:?:
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Bagels wrote: April 16th, 2023, 11:54 pm There isn't much difference between Fresh Fare and plain 'ole Ralphs these days. And Kroger has begun localizing merchandise. The El Toro Ralphs, for example, carries more Home Chef product than the nearby Woodbury Fresh Fare. Both stores were built at the same time with an identical layout, but whereas the Woodbury store features its third décor package, El Toro is one of the few retaining the 2000s décor package (that it was built with) and it looks like they're closing the pharmacy. In other words... it's the inferior performer, but obviously those $30 Home Chef meals must sell pretty good.
Ralphs has made the Fresh Fare sign meaningless. Is it a regular Ralphs with a different sign? Is it a Ralphs trying to be like Whole Foods? Is it a Ralphs trying to be like Gelsons or Bristol Farms? It could be any of those things depending on which location you enter.

That El Toro store is just dismal. It is dark and depressing, I can't believe that has sat with zero improvement for almost 20 years. It was always the closest Ralphs in drive time when I lived by the Spectrum but I would go out of my way to shop at the one across the street from The Market Place on Jamboree, or I would sometimes go to Woodbury only to regret the decision the second I pulled into the dysfunctional parking lot full of people who can't drive. My guess is that it makes enough money to break even or turn a small profit (especially because it has noticeably higher prices than the other surrounding Ralphs) and they'd rather sit on it versus give up the site which I'm guessing would become the first Northgate in South OC.

If you really want to see a head scratcher go to the new Foothill Ranch Fresh Fare. No exterior FF sign (unless they added one recently, it only said Fresh Fare on window graphics). Weird barnwood and shiplap decor. Nothing about it feels "fresh" to me, nor was there any change in assortment at all. This is apparently the "Whole Foods knockoff" version.

I found a news article from over 20 years ago when Ralphs launched FF under Fred Meyer ownership. What was interesting is that the concept was for smaller, older stores in upscale neighborhoods and originally was just a reset/remerchandising exercise with a remodel later on. Some of these stores, like Anaheim Hills, have received multiple remodels since posting the FF branding but still do not have FF decor and are basically a regular Ralphs inside.

At this point I think it's time to just retire the FF sub-branding entirely. In the unlikely event the merger goes through maybe they can start again with the Pavilions name and current concept in the correct locations. These can become "Ralphs Pavilions."
The Foothills Ranch Ralphs is a good example -- not my favorite store to begin with given that its hours have historically deviated from the rest of the chain. Since the mid-2010s, South OC Ralphs generally close at 1AM. Not this store -- even before COVID it was shuttered at 9PM on Sundays. I noticed the new décor package, but I didn't notice it had been "upgraded" to Fresh Fare. Or any other changes, for that matter. You'd think they'd get rid of the awful layout, which features the produce in the center of the store, a la mid-century supermarkets.
That's what makes it so strange. No outside sign changes at all, but they fully repainted and redressed the exterior. Window graphics state it is a "fresh fare" but they didn't add the Murray's cheese premium dept. and they merchandise it with dollar store style dump bins at the entrance. It's like they only repainted and did a concrete floor but otherwise it's the same store. But they do call it a Fresh Fare. It has become meaningless.

As far as the Pavilions reboot goes, the only meaningful changes they made to the assortment were basically outsourcing the seafood counter to Santa Monica Seafood instead of the usual Albertsons-Safeway sourcing, and dramatically expanding the wine and liquor category at the expense of the entire store. Otherwise there isn't really anything special about the format besides different decor from any other higher end Albertsons or Vons stores. Last I saw they've stuck to their guns on those two initiatives, and I'm guessing that if their goal was to increase volume in liquor at stores where they already did very well in the category I am sure they've met their objectives. The Safeway in Scottsdale that got Pavilions decor was well known as the location that receives most of the chains highly allocated "unicorn hunt" fine bourbons that wouldn't ever get sent to a "regular" Albertsons or Safeway. Pavilions just means aisles and aisles of wine and liquor, and that's why they have pulled the banner from older stores that do well but don't have a good liquor business like more recently Long Beach. In the past the nameplate stood for something else, similar to Fresh Fare, but at least they're being consistent with using it today.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

veteran+ wrote: April 18th, 2023, 9:43 am

In fairness... many, if not most, of the original FF elements -- expanded produce selection (especially organic), Boar's Head deli products, expanded meat (emphasis on prepared meats like fajitas, London broil etc.), expanded wine selection, etc. have found their way into nearly every Kroger, I think the biggest problem... is that people who are willing to pay for an upscale shopping experience, aren't looking to do so at Ralph's. Look at the rebooted Pavilions concept - it's largely been a bust, and many of the upgraded features have already been scrapped. Some -- like the butter trays in the meat department (garlic butter, etc.), prepared meat dishes (like stuffed chicken or whatnot), have found themselves in high-volume Vons/Ralphs, even while exiting Pavilions.

On a side note, I'm surprised Northgate (or another Latino) grocer hasn't entered Lake Forest. Plenty of options in recent years -- it took many years for the two shuttered Vons to find new owners. And Smart & Final is probably desperate to offload the store across from Ralph's -- huge (for S&F) and minimal business. Although that store has operated as a central bakery for the chain in years past.
I think that most Pavilions still have produce in the middle (or somewhat in the middle).

All the older build Pavilions from the 80's and 90's have produce in center store along with deli and bakery, with meat and seafood behind that. The newer stores have a more traditional Safeway type layout with produce on one end and bakery/deli at the other end. The produce room is sandwiched between produce and deli/bakery on the older stores so it would be quite a project to move. Most of these older Pavilions really don't have a true "perimeter" as everything is in the middle so pharmacy lands on one end wall and frozen on the other.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

ClownLoach wrote: April 18th, 2023, 2:00 pm

That's what makes it so strange. No outside sign changes at all, but they fully repainted and redressed the exterior. Window graphics state it is a "fresh fare" but they didn't add the Murray's cheese premium dept. and they merchandise it with dollar store style dump bins at the entrance. It's like they only repainted and did a concrete floor but otherwise it's the same store. But they do call it a Fresh Fare. It has become meaningless.

As far as the Pavilions reboot goes, the only meaningful changes they made to the assortment were basically outsourcing the seafood counter to Santa Monica Seafood instead of the usual Albertsons-Safeway sourcing, and dramatically expanding the wine and liquor category at the expense of the entire store. Otherwise there isn't really anything special about the format besides different decor from any other higher end Albertsons or Vons stores. Last I saw they've stuck to their guns on those two initiatives, and I'm guessing that if their goal was to increase volume in liquor at stores where they already did very well in the category I am sure they've met their objectives. The Safeway in Scottsdale that got Pavilions decor was well known as the location that receives most of the chains highly allocated "unicorn hunt" fine bourbons that wouldn't ever get sent to a "regular" Albertsons or Safeway. Pavilions just means aisles and aisles of wine and liquor, and that's why they have pulled the banner from older stores that do well but don't have a good liquor business like more recently Long Beach. In the past the nameplate stood for something else, similar to Fresh Fare, but at least they're being consistent with using it today.
I think if the merger did go through they should just abolish the failed FF program and either convert them back to a regular store (which in some cases is just removing letters) or move to the Pavilions program if the liquor business is strong. I can think of several Ralphs FF locations that would significantly increase their sales with the Pavilions expanded liquor program, such as Marina Pacifica in Long Beach, Talega in San Clemente, La Jolla Village, and Meadowlark in Huntington Beach. Otherwise they really need to figure out where they're going because there is zero meaning and consistency to the sub-banner at this point with some stores pretending to be a sub-par and non-upscale Whole Foods with expanded organics (Foothill, Laguna Niguel) while others are still set up as a "fancier" Ralphs. I am honestly not sure what arrangements Albertsons has set up but even prior to the Safeway merger they have consistently been able to source a wider selection of local and international wines and spirits, and they applied their best practices to the Pavilions reboot. There are Albertsons in several Central Coast markets with these mega wine departments although they don't deliver much volume in ultra high end so they wouldn't benefit from expanding further along the lines of Pavilions. I think much of this product stems from regional and local buying; I know the Morro Bay and Buellton Albertsons stores do their own direct purchasing from local vineyards filling at least two aisles with local product. The Los Osos/SLO Ralphs had hardly any Central Coast vineyards represented and looked like the same stuff you'd find at a SoCal Ralphs or a Vegas Smiths (plenty of Gallo wine jugs and Boxed wines).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Kroger tends to be a not very strong seller of liquor. Smiths historically has been especially weak probably since it is Utah based and liquor sales in that state are quite different. It is interesting Smiths has done as well as they have in Las Vegas given their weakness in liquor mix over the years. They have expanded liquor over the years but the mix still skews toward cheap stuff and lots of it. I always thought Ralphs did a better job than other Kroger Divisions on liquor, but not as good as Safeway. QFC up in Seattle area used to get a lot of higher cost stuff but I'm not sure on the status of those programs.

The strength of Albertsons on liquor comes back from ASC. ASC was the largest liquor retailer in the US back in the late 90's and applied its strong liquor knowledge to the drugstores and grocery banners.

Safeway also did a decent job on liquor over the years upgrading the lifestyle stores to have more higher cost product and having Wine Stewards in some stores even back in the 80's and 90's at least in NorCal.

Save Mart is also a very poor retailer of liquor. One of the worst I've seen. Mix stinks, pricing stinks, the whole program is just not good.

Their best approach is to get the Pavilions programs and roll them up into Ralphs Fresh Fare. But this may depend on how many stores get divested. If at the end of the day they are only left with 10 Pavilions, clearly, that banner has no future with Kroger and stores end up converted. If they somehow work a deal where they keep most of the Pavilions Stores then it is a different story and maybe the banner should stay supported. I am just concerned Pavilions banner may turn into the same confused mess it was under Safeway, and the same confused mess Ralphs Fresh Fare currently seems to be.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

ClownLoach wrote: April 18th, 2023, 3:32 pm
veteran+ wrote: April 18th, 2023, 9:43 am

All the older build Pavilions from the 80's and 90's have produce in center store along with deli and bakery, with meat and seafood behind that. The newer stores have a more traditional Safeway type layout with produce on one end and bakery/deli at the other end. The produce room is sandwiched between produce and deli/bakery on the older stores so it would be quite a project to move. Most of these older Pavilions really don't have a true "perimeter" as everything is in the middle so pharmacy lands on one end wall and frozen on the other.
The Pavilions in Rancho Mirage was almost dead center with produce and the West Hollywood one (former Safeway) is slightly to the right of dead center. Not sure when they were built.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

I had wine stewards in the early 2000s at both Fresh Fare and Pavilions.

I'm not sure but I believe Steve Burd discontinued the wine steward progam in the stores for a bit.
Bluelightspecial
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Post by Bluelightspecial »

[/quote]

Actually that is mostly true, but not completely true. Some of the smaller Pavilions and Pavilions Places (Newport Beach, Pasadena etc) didn't have center store produce. Also the Pavilions in Marina Del Rey built in the early 2000's has perimeter Produce...while West Hollywood and the now closed Ladera Ranch Pavilions built later put produce in the center. The rebuilt Sherman Oaks Pavilions has produce of center but at the front of the store.
brendenmoney
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Post by brendenmoney »

I visit this store not too long ago. The only changes made to this store were the subsequent removal of any sort of "Fresh Fare" branding from the store, as well as the road sign which has now been replaced by a regular Ralphs oval sign, but the store still retains the Fresh Fare interior it received when it was renovated in 2016-2017, it's simply a normal Ralphs with a fresh fare interior. I don't remember the exact time it was renovated, but I know it was renovated into the Fresh Fare format at that time. Before this renovation, it was a traditional Ralphs which previously had the early 2010's Kroger interior (Kroger's version of PFH) that they used at the time. The store and only carried the Fresh Fare banner for about five years before converting back to a traditional Ralphs. Perhaps the upgrade this store had at the time was an experiment to see if the Fresh Fare format would be successful at this store so they could consolidate the Fresh Fare store a couple blocks away into this store, but was unsuccessful...

It is surprising that these stores have existed so close to each other for so long, speaking that both Kroger, Safeway and Albertsons over the years have worked to eliminate overlaps like these, another example being the two Albertsons stores just a couple blocks away from each other in San Clemente that both existed for many years, but one was recently converted to Pavilions officially removing that overlap. This street will be an area to watch if the Kroger/Albertsons goes through, as it wouldn't be shocking if the FTC requires Kroger to divest both Ralphs in order to keep the larger newer Vons in the vicinity.