Nordstrom Rack Rebranding & Expanding

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
lake52
Cashier
Cashier

Re: Nordstrom Rack Rebranding & Expanding

Post by lake52 »

Alpha8472 wrote: April 13th, 2023, 6:29 pm
The company is opening 5 new stores in California including one in Davis, California. I'm sorry but Davis is a middle of nowhere town surrounded by farmland. No one travels to Davis for shopping. The city smells like cows.

https://chainstoreage.com/nordstrom-rac ... d-new-logo
Davis has about 70k people as well as 60k in Woodland adjacent. I would also imagine depending on the time of day, Davis is closer than Elk Grove / Arden for West Sacramento residents (50k)

Despite the skew for no/low income college students, Davis stacks up pretty well in average income / year too.

Davis - $55k
Roseville - $60k
Elk Grove - $54k
Rancho Cordova -$41k
Vacaville - $53k

I think given the visibility of that shopping center to college students (right across from the major dorms) they’ll be ok.

They’ll also kill it in Elk Grove and San Mateo. Elk Grove has been begging for more retail for years, residents are tired of driving to Arden or Roseville.

The San Mateo location is becoming a pretty big retail destination with the tenants they’ve brought onboard. Bridgepointe is really the only power center between Daly City and East Palo Alto.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I would argue Elk Grove has been begging for quality retail for years. Nordstrom Rack at 25,000 square feet isn't it. It isn't much better than another Ross. I'm not even sure it is as good as a TJ Maxx/Home Goods.

I also do not think there is going to be enough traffic in Davis to support the store, but we will see. It will be a nice convenience for people in town looking for stuff that is a little bit better than the current available offer there. It may actually work out. I also don't think anyone in West Sacramento or Woodland is going to drive out of their way to shop at Nordstrom Rack.

San Mateo may work but there have been a lot of other retailers who have failed at that particular shopping center. In theory it should be a good, solid location and I think density has increased in the area since some other retailers have left.

Pinole... no idea what they are thinking. Then again I didn't understand opening Clovis when they already have a unit in Fresno either.
lake52
Cashier
Cashier

Post by lake52 »

storewanderer wrote: May 12th, 2023, 11:39 pm
I also do not think there is going to be enough traffic in Davis to support the store, but we will see. It will be a nice convenience for people in town looking for stuff that is a little bit better than the current available offer there. It may actually work out. I also don't think anyone in West Sacramento or Woodland is going to drive out of their way to shop at Nordstrom Rack.

San Mateo may work but there have been a lot of other retailers who have failed at that particular shopping center. In theory it should be a good, solid location and I think density has increased in the area since some other retailers have left.

From my experience, there is a lot of cross traffic between Woodland/Davis/Dixon. Woodland has the best retail options, Dixon has a convenient Walmart from West Davis, and Davis has the best dining/entertainment options. We’ll see if that translates to retail. I did forget they’re also opening another Sacramento location (Natomas) which could pull some Woodland traffic.

Bridgepointe in San Mateo just announced a slew of new arrivals such as Five Below, Container Store, Chick-fil-A, and Nordstrom Rack. They’ve also recently added Hobby Lobby, Lazy Dog, and Ross. It’s pretty much 100% leased. The center previously had a lot of dead weight from the 90s like Bed Bath and Beyond / Toys R Us / Staples. Other than Petco and maybe World Market, that dead weight has mostly been cleared out. The East Palo Alto Rack is also a madhouse. I think this location will work out.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The Davis location used to be Gottschalk's and then Forever 21. The Gottschalk's did decent business, and the Forever 21 did good good business at first. Then the business dried up and it closed. The parking at this shopping center is limited and always crowded. I don't know how they can improve parking in this claustrophobic area right across the street from student housing.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

lake52 wrote: May 13th, 2023, 10:49 am

From my experience, there is a lot of cross traffic between Woodland/Davis/Dixon. Woodland has the best retail options, Dixon has a convenient Walmart from West Davis, and Davis has the best dining/entertainment options. We’ll see if that translates to retail. I did forget they’re also opening another Sacramento location (Natomas) which could pull some Woodland traffic.

Bridgepointe in San Mateo just announced a slew of new arrivals such as Five Below, Container Store, Chick-fil-A, and Nordstrom Rack. They’ve also recently added Hobby Lobby, Lazy Dog, and Ross. It’s pretty much 100% leased. The center previously had a lot of dead weight from the 90s like Bed Bath and Beyond / Toys R Us / Staples. Other than Petco and maybe World Market, that dead weight has mostly been cleared out. The East Palo Alto Rack is also a madhouse. I think this location will work out.
Tons of cross traffic between that Woodland/Davis/Dixon area. I don't see Dixon residents having much interest in Nordstrom Rack though. I just don't think Rack is worth even going across the road for. It is the type of place you may go into if you are in the same parking lot. Once people go there once it is no longer a destination.

We will see how round 2 with Bridgepointe goes. All of those other tenants were once very successful and sought after, much like these tenants opening there today (even Chickfila and Hobby Lobby). There is more than enough population around there that it should do well and maybe was a victim of its tenant mix before.

It seems like they may be testing a bit of a "locations much closer together" strategy with Nordstrom Rack. I am not sure it will work. They need to make some pretty serious improvements to the product offer.