Christmas Tree Shops files Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

storewanderer

Christmas Tree Shops files Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

Post by storewanderer »

This was another branch of BBB that was sold off at some point over the past couple of years.

I find it strange/suspicious they ended up filing Chapter 11 right after BBB did. I wonder if they were still somehow tied to BBB or BBB was guaranteeing leases or something.

Supposedly they were independent of BBB. Maybe it is all a coincidence.

It appears Christmas Tree Shops opened some new stores in FL in 2022. Maybe that didn't work out as they hoped. It appears at least 3 new stores were opened.

I took a look at one of the new stores on Google Maps in Sarasota, FL. This takes an old Sports Authority (which when vacant said Dick's coming soon, I guess Dick's did not go there, good) and they did not even re-do the front so the front still looks like Sports Authority. Inside the place looks low budget even by Dollar Tree standards.

Another new store opened 11/2022 in Pembroke Pines, FL is interesting as it is in a former BBB. It appears they sort of gutted this but reused various BBB shelving/displays/checkout. Looking at this store it does not appear to use shelf tags on product sets (even ones like candy which obviously are some kind of plan o gram). No idea what is going on here. I don't see price stickers on each item either but maybe they are hidden somewhere.

Another new store opened in 2022 in Estero, FL is also in a former BBB. No use repeating the above paragraph. Same comments.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Christmas Tree Shops files Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

Post by Brian Lutz »

There is one of these stores in Greensboro next door to a Target on Wendover Avenue. When we visited recently there were a number of "we are still open" signs on the door, but it seemed pretty empty. Overall, the store reminds me of a Big Lots type place, but this particular store seemed immaculate, very much unlike a Big Lots. On the other hand there were few to no other customers in the store when I was there, which probably makes it a lot easier to keep things tidy.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

Reports over the last few days say that the chain is liquidating all locations.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

storewanderer wrote: May 7th, 2023, 9:58 pm
I took a look at one of the new stores on Google Maps in Sarasota, FL. This takes an old Sports Authority (which when vacant said Dick's coming soon, I guess Dick's did not go there, good) and they did not even re-do the front so the front still looks like Sports Authority. Inside the place looks low budget even by Dollar Tree standards.
It looks like Dick's is open at the end at the strip there. Maybe they planned on moving closer to be neighbors to Golf Galaxy (also owned by Dick's).
mjhale
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by mjhale »

We had an andThat! location in Fair Lakes Shopping Center in Fairfax, VA for less than a year. Apparently andThat! is a brand they use in areas not familiar with the Christmas Tree Shops name. andThat! opened in December 2017 and didn't even make it to the next Christmas holiday season. I visited andThat! once. It seemed like a weird hybrid between Big Lots, a dollar store and the kitsch stuff from a hobby store. No appeal to me at all and out of place for the area. Their sole remaining location in the DC area is in Waldorf, MD. There was a location at Potomac Mills Mall in Woodbridge, VA but it has closed.