Chili's Half Pound Burgers Are A Hot Seller Amid High Inflation

Alpha8472

Chili's Half Pound Burgers Are A Hot Seller Amid High Inflation

Post by Alpha8472 »

Chili's says its half pound burgers are a hot seller amid high inflation. Huge portions at reasonable prices are bringing in customers over McDonald's and other places.

Same restaurant sales at Chili's and Maggiano's are up as well as profit margins.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/chilis-p ... 59838.html
Last edited by Alpha8472 on May 13th, 2023, 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
storewanderer

Re: Chili's Half Pound Burgers Are A Hot Seller Amid High Inflation

Post by storewanderer »

If $17.19 for a burger at Chili's (plus drink- what- 3.29 - tax - what- $1.80 - tip - $3-$4) is somehow a deal I guess I am really living in the past.

About as high as I'd go for a burger at Chili's is around 7.99, but I don't need 1/2 pound, something 1/4 pound or even a little smaller would be fine.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Their "3 For Me" deal is an incredible deal, better priced than anything comparable from McDonald's, Burger King, Carl's or Wendy's. Appetizer like a salad or soup, plus a choice of several good size burgers with a large portion of fries, plus a drink for $10.99. For a couple bucks you can upgrade the appetizer to a Gigantic platter of chips, two kinds of queso and guacamole and it is enough to feed 4 people plus they'll keep refilling the chips for free. I spent $2 more on a burger combo at Carl's. The quality is solid, it's not gourmet but it's a heck of a lot better than McDonald's, Carl's etc and the service is great. McDonald's these days is hell to visit, order in app or kiosk only and have your food slammed down on the counter by a surly clerk that screams out your order number then disappears once you realize that you have no napkins or ketchup. Even when you factor in a tip it's still a steal. Chili's was dying and now there's a 45 minute wait and the place is slammed open to close here. Mine is in front of a Target so I just get on the wait list and do some shopping, when the text to check in arrives I have more than enough time to check out, drop my stuff in the trunk and get back to the front desk.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

10.99 is basically the 7.99 I quoted plus the 2.99 I estimated for a drink. That seems very in line.

Chili's have managed to stay pretty busy in my area over the years. They have 3 locations. They had two late model locations one in front of the Carson City Market Street Wal Mart (awful location decision) and one in Sparks in front of (approximately) the Ulta/Michaels (issue here was a lack of weekday daytime traffic) that both closed after not being open long.

While I always though Chili's had much better food than Applebee's, the salt level has always seemed very excessive.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

ClownLoach wrote: May 14th, 2023, 11:24 am Their "3 For Me" deal is an incredible deal, better priced than anything comparable from McDonald's, Burger King, Carl's or Wendy's. Appetizer like a salad or soup, plus a choice of several good size burgers with a large portion of fries, plus a drink for $10.99. For a couple bucks you can upgrade the appetizer to a Gigantic platter of chips, two kinds of queso and guacamole and it is enough to feed 4 people plus they'll keep refilling the chips for free. I spent $2 more on a burger combo at Carl's. The quality is solid, it's not gourmet but it's a heck of a lot better than McDonald's, Carl's etc and the service is great. McDonald's these days is hell to visit, order in app or kiosk only and have your food slammed down on the counter by a surly clerk that screams out your order number then disappears once you realize that you have no napkins or ketchup. Even when you factor in a tip it's still a steal. Chili's was dying and now there's a 45 minute wait and the place is slammed open to close here. Mine is in front of a Target so I just get on the wait list and do some shopping, when the text to check in arrives I have more than enough time to check out, drop my stuff in the trunk and get back to the front desk.
Easy way to get someone to take your order personally at McDonalds - bring some green paper (cash), since the kiosks can't usually process that, thus a human has to do it!
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: May 15th, 2023, 10:04 am

Easy way to get someone to take your order personally at McDonalds - bring some green paper (cash), since the kiosks can't usually process that, thus a human has to do it!
They seem to try hard to ignore customers who stand at a register. They seem to hope the customer gives up and uses a kiosk. Technical policy is they want the customer to punch their order into the kiosk then print a slip to bring to the register and all the employee does is collect the cash, not actually take the order.

As fewer regions still have a drink promotion (some have no promotion, a few are still $1, some are 1.29 or 1.49), I find myself visiting McDonalds less and less. I don't miss them. I am actually okay with the 30oz iced tea at the 1.49 price point but no higher.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: May 15th, 2023, 9:30 pm
BillyGr wrote: May 15th, 2023, 10:04 am

They seem to try hard to ignore customers who stand at a register. They seem to hope the customer gives up and uses a kiosk. Technical policy is they want the customer to punch their order into the kiosk then print a slip to bring to the register and all the employee does is collect the cash, not actually take the order.

As fewer regions still have a drink promotion (some have no promotion, a few are still $1, some are 1.29 or 1.49), I find myself visiting McDonalds less and less. I don't miss them. I am actually okay with the 30oz iced tea at the 1.49 price point but no higher.
That would work as well, as long as there is something on the kiosk to let you know that is an option. The ones I've seen in this area didn't say anything, thus with lack of any obvious way for the machine to take cash, I wouldn't even try to use them as there is no way to know they will do what you say (many other places with machinery have signs to note what works for cash and what is card only, like the local Dollar General that just added two self-checkouts, one of each type, much like what CVS generally does).
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

storewanderer wrote: May 15th, 2023, 9:30 pm As fewer regions still have a drink promotion (some have no promotion, a few are still $1, some are 1.29 or 1.49), I find myself visiting McDonalds less and less. I don't miss them. I am actually okay with the 30oz iced tea at the 1.49 price point but no higher.
I didn't realize the $1 any size beverage had ended in other parts of the country. Darn! (I think it's about the only thing on our $1/$2/$3 menu screen)

The small McCafe here had to go up 10 percent, it is now $2.20. Still less than almost anywhere else - though medium and large are closer to $4 price point.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

SamSpade wrote: May 17th, 2023, 11:49 am
storewanderer wrote: May 15th, 2023, 9:30 pm As fewer regions still have a drink promotion (some have no promotion, a few are still $1, some are 1.29 or 1.49), I find myself visiting McDonalds less and less. I don't miss them. I am actually okay with the 30oz iced tea at the 1.49 price point but no higher.
I didn't realize the $1 any size beverage had ended in other parts of the country. Darn! (I think it's about the only thing on our $1/$2/$3 menu screen)

The small McCafe here had to go up 10 percent, it is now $2.20. Still less than almost anywhere else - though medium and large are closer to $4 price point.
Have seen commercials here advertising iced coffee and the frozen Coke items for $1.79 and $1.99 (any size) just recently. Not sure if the Coke one would actually be part of that, but iced coffee should be.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

ClownLoach wrote: May 14th, 2023, 11:24 am Their "3 For Me" deal is an incredible deal, better priced than anything comparable from McDonald's, Burger King, Carl's or Wendy's. Appetizer like a salad or soup, plus a choice of several good size burgers with a large portion of fries, plus a drink for $10.99. For a couple bucks you can upgrade the appetizer to a Gigantic platter of chips, two kinds of queso and guacamole and it is enough to feed 4 people plus they'll keep refilling the chips for free. I spent $2 more on a burger combo at Carl's. The quality is solid, it's not gourmet but it's a heck of a lot better than McDonald's, Carl's etc and the service is great. McDonald's these days is hell to visit, order in app or kiosk only and have your food slammed down on the counter by a surly clerk that screams out your order number then disappears once you realize that you have no napkins or ketchup. Even when you factor in a tip it's still a steal. Chili's was dying and now there's a 45 minute wait and the place is slammed open to close here. Mine is in front of a Target so I just get on the wait list and do some shopping, when the text to check in arrives I have more than enough time to check out, drop my stuff in the trunk and get back to the front desk.
For whatever reason, the Irvine location frequently tests new menus. The "3 For Me" deals they've been trialing are downsized meals compared to the full menu equivalents. Recently, the new "Crispers" went live nationally -- $12.29 to $13.49 (depending on the market) for a four piece meal, including chips/ soup/ salad, one regular and one premium side. Soft drinks are $2.99 to $3.29 (depending on the market). Meanwhile... the "3 For Me" option includes one less tender an no premium side (also, one less dipping sauce... on paper). So, depending on your store, you save $1.29 to $2.79 for the "3 For Me" option but would be better off paying the extra and splitting / taking home the extras.

Unfortunately, more of entrees will likely be downsized soon. FWIW, the "3 For Me" crispers meal was my cheat meal for many years. Early last year, the price went from $9.99 to $10.99 for four tenders, soup/ salad, two regular sides and a drink. The jump to $13.99 recently - along with the loss of a tender and side - means I'll be going to Cane's instead from now on.