Target online sales drop

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Target online sales drop

Post by mbz321 »

Costco does employee bag checks when exiting (which is kind of silly, as we have signs we have the right to look in the bags of members, it isn't something that I've ever seen done. I wonder how much merchandise walks out in diaper bags/large purses/etc.). If its after business hours, we usually do have to wait to be let out by a manager or supervisor, but typically there is one within close range (I don't usually work closing shifts anymore. If I didn't purchase anything that day, I'll just give a quick flash of my lunch bag on the way out. No way am I standing in line as members get their purchases checked!)
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

mbz321 wrote: May 26th, 2023, 7:15 pm Costco does employee bag checks when exiting (which is kind of silly, as we have signs we have the right to look in the bags of members, it isn't something that I've ever seen done. I wonder how much merchandise walks out in diaper bags/large purses/etc.). If its after business hours, we usually do have to wait to be let out by a manager or supervisor, but typically there is one within close range (I don't usually work closing shifts anymore. If I didn't purchase anything that day, I'll just give a quick flash of my lunch bag on the way out. No way am I standing in line as members get their purchases checked!)
I've seen those Costco employee bag checks and it seems to be a quick second or two flash. Granted there isn't much small stuff in Costco but I'm not sure why they are doing that at all, I wonder if they ever find any employee who stole and actually catch them via these bag checks?

I do understand having an employee show a receipt and merchandise at exit (just like a customer would).
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

veteran+ wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 7:42 am
Romr123 wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 6:42 am Another interesting critical article about shrink and Target and how it's articulated in the press

https://popular.info/p/off-target
Thank you and finally a breath of fresh air on this over debated topic.

Critical and root cause analysis is your friend! (not videos playing the same thing over and over again along with carefully curated and edited photography)
Denying or downplaying organized retail crime exists is just as bad as claiming none of your pay or policies are at fault. Like everything else, there is a give and take.

One on hand, companies need better policy and pay for employees. More problematic stores need higher-paid employees, LP that needs to do what police won't or can't, and policy needs to stop siding with criminals in case things get sticky.

On the other hand, high shrink exists, theft is de facto decriminalized in several major cities, and it's not just inventory losses, it's also stolen carts, vandalism, and so forth.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Sorry, but that is a lot of broadstroking.

I'm surprised.

:o
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

veteran+ wrote: May 27th, 2023, 11:22 am Sorry, but that is a lot of broadstroking.

I'm surprised.

I'm doing broad strokes because there's a lot of retail businesses, a lot of neighborhoods, a lot of cities, each with a slightly different issue at hand. As much as Walgreens "it's them, not us" excuse may be leaving out a significant amount of information (drug stores are poorly staffed, for starters), the idea that "no, this is an overblown media conspiracy, nothing is out of the ordinary" is just as preposterous.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

pseudo3d wrote: May 27th, 2023, 11:00 am

On the other hand, high shrink exists, theft is de facto decriminalized in several major cities, and it's not just inventory losses, it's also stolen carts, vandalism, and so forth.
Reflecting back on the old days, you know, 5 years ago, when everyone thought theft of carts and some vandalism in bathrooms was such a big deal... now that all seems so minor.

The other ugly topic nobody is discussing (yet) is thefts are starting to rise in solidly middle class areas/suburban stores as well. With all of the price increases more and more people are resorting to shoplifting and it is not just homeless people or organized retail crime rings.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

pseudo3d wrote: May 27th, 2023, 11:43 am
veteran+ wrote: May 27th, 2023, 11:22 am Sorry, but that is a lot of broadstroking.

I'm surprised.

I'm doing broad strokes because there's a lot of retail businesses, a lot of neighborhoods, a lot of cities, each with a slightly different issue at hand. As much as Walgreens "it's them, not us" excuse may be leaving out a significant amount of information (drug stores are poorly staffed, for starters), the idea that "no, this is an overblown media conspiracy, nothing is out of the ordinary" is just as preposterous.
No one indicated that ORC is not real. No one indicated that regular customer and employee theft is not real.

It is how the media covers it and how the E Suite discusses it (which often is contrary to their own internal reports) is the problem.

Also the problem of the case loads that courts and judges struggle with (the dockets), internal attitudes of the police departments regarding theft and other "minor" calls, company policies (with litigation in mind) and staffing including professional secuity ($$$$$$) is part of the story that is not covered the same way.

Most of the time it is not actually "decriminalizing" as the goal.

There is a lot more at play here that is not nuanced into the genreal reporting. The only conspiracy is the "click bait" thing.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: May 27th, 2023, 11:54 am
pseudo3d wrote: May 27th, 2023, 11:00 am

Reflecting back on the old days, you know, 5 years ago, when everyone thought theft of carts and some vandalism in bathrooms was such a big deal... now that all seems so minor.

The other ugly topic nobody is discussing (yet) is thefts are starting to rise in solidly middle class areas/suburban stores as well. With all of the price increases more and more people are resorting to shoplifting and it is not just homeless people or organized retail crime rings.
The fact is that most retailers do not allow stores to file police reports unless it is a major loss (such as a break in or robbery with tens of thousands of dollars loss). And most Police Departments make it nearly impossible to file a report unless the store Loss Prevention person or Store Manager provides them with incredible amounts of research and paperwork (what happened to Police detectives?). As such there is no accuracy at all to reported crime statistics when it comes to shoplifting. It is massively underreported. I wouldn't blink if someone said it was 100X higher than statistics show. But the media does not understand this, nor do politicians, and thus they quote the statistics as if they were personally vetted by God.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: May 28th, 2023, 10:11 pm

The fact is that most retailers do not allow stores to file police reports unless it is a major loss (such as a break in or robbery with tens of thousands of dollars loss). And most Police Departments make it nearly impossible to file a report unless the store Loss Prevention person or Store Manager provides them with incredible amounts of research and paperwork (what happened to Police detectives?). As such there is no accuracy at all to reported crime statistics when it comes to shoplifting. It is massively underreported. I wouldn't blink if someone said it was 100X higher than statistics show. But the media does not understand this, nor do politicians, and thus they quote the statistics as if they were personally vetted by God.
Inventories will tell the story. And it will not be a pretty story in the coming years. There are going to be a lot of surprises when the physical inventories are done.

And at some retailers, distribution centers are another very MAJOR cause of shrink as well due to outright theft as well as poor rotation, disorganization, inefficiency, etc.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: May 29th, 2023, 12:49 am
ClownLoach wrote: May 28th, 2023, 10:11 pm

Inventories will tell the story. And it will not be a pretty story in the coming years. There are going to be a lot of surprises when the physical inventories are done.

And at some retailers, distribution centers are another very MAJOR cause of shrink as well due to outright theft as well as poor rotation, disorganization, inefficiency, etc.
Yep, and some companies will not allow the D/C to post shrink numbers. They distribute that shrink to the stores.

Fresh & Easy comes to mind!