Target Liquidation of items at Big Lots

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
storewanderer

Target Liquidation of items at Big Lots

Post by storewanderer »

Big Lots posted about the below on Facebook on May 8. I've been in 4 different Big Lots since then (one yesterday, the other two last weekend), and so far only the one I went into today actually has this merchandise.

Went into Big Lots. Tons of items on display near front of store and in their somewhat newly created "finds" area, a lot of clothing, shoes, home decor items. Upon further examination this is all Target product. Vairous Cat & Jack, Threshold, even some Up & Up pet brushes. They went on the tags and black markered out anything that said Target but still have Target's 1-800 number on all of the tags to call for support.

So the signs they have posted call this a major retailer close out (similar to what Big Lots did when they bought a lot of items in the Osco Sav-On/CVS merger, then the Rite Aid/Eckerd merger) and all items are 30-70% off. Many clothing items were 60-70% off the marked Target price. They were also doing an "additional 25% off the lowest marked price" on all clothing /shoes (not the home items). In addition to these numerous Target private label softlines and home items, there were quite a few branded toys and similar. I am not sure where those came from but they were mixed in with this 30-70% off major retailer close out sign.

Target's tags on clothing mostly have dates and most of these tags said 2022. So it appears this is where the stuff Target couldn't sell ended up.

Ironic to see this given how poorly stocked the nearby Target continues to be. They could have used the merchandise and why didn't they do their own 30-70% off sale?
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Target Liquidation of items at Big Lots

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: May 20th, 2023, 5:55 pm So the signs they have posted call this a major retailer close out (similar to what Big Lots did when they bought a lot of items in the Osco Sav-On/CVS merger, then the Rite Aid/Eckerd merger) and all items are 30-70% off. Many clothing items were 60-70% off the marked Target price. They were also doing an "additional 25% off the lowest marked price" on all clothing /shoes (not the home items). In addition to these numerous Target private label softlines and home items, there were quite a few branded toys and similar. I am not sure where those came from but they were mixed in with this 30-70% off major retailer close out sign.

Target's tags on clothing mostly have dates and most of these tags said 2022. So it appears this is where the stuff Target couldn't sell ended up.

Ironic to see this given how poorly stocked the nearby Target continues to be. They could have used the merchandise and why didn't they do their own 30-70% off sale?
Makes sense that they would sell items off to a chain like this (since that is why they are considered a closeout retailer).

Not necessarily having anything to do with the actual Target being understocked (which could be shipping/production issues or just local help shortage not getting items from warehouse to store or from truck to shelves).

Particularly if it has to do with the shipping side, as it may have been up to Big Lots to pick up the items, in which case Target keeping them wouldn't help anything if they never got to the store and on shelves.

Now, how some Target branded ketchup wound up at a local supermarket... - not totally unusual to have the wrong "store brand" shipped when dealing with the warehouse, but they are usually other brands in that company (either if they use a wholesaler that supplies many stores or in this case deal with being part of a group like Topco).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: May 21st, 2023, 1:10 pm

Makes sense that they would sell items off to a chain like this (since that is why they are considered a closeout retailer).

Not necessarily having anything to do with the actual Target being understocked (which could be shipping/production issues or just local help shortage not getting items from warehouse to store or from truck to shelves).

Particularly if it has to do with the shipping side, as it may have been up to Big Lots to pick up the items, in which case Target keeping them wouldn't help anything if they never got to the store and on shelves.

Now, how some Target branded ketchup wound up at a local supermarket... - not totally unusual to have the wrong "store brand" shipped when dealing with the warehouse, but they are usually other brands in that company (either if they use a wholesaler that supplies many stores or in this case deal with being part of a group like Topco).
Private label pack errors absolutely happen at the supplier level. I've seen O Organics items on the shelf in Wal Mart. Kroger items at Wal Mart. Wal Mart items at Kroger.
bryceleinan
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

storewanderer wrote: May 20th, 2023, 5:55 pm Big Lots posted about the below on Facebook on May 8. I've been in 4 different Big Lots since then (one yesterday, the other two last weekend), and so far only the one I went into today actually has this merchandise.

Went into Big Lots. Tons of items on display near front of store and in their somewhat newly created "finds" area, a lot of clothing, shoes, home decor items. Upon further examination this is all Target product. Vairous Cat & Jack, Threshold, even some Up & Up pet brushes. They went on the tags and black markered out anything that said Target but still have Target's 1-800 number on all of the tags to call for support.

So the signs they have posted call this a major retailer close out (similar to what Big Lots did when they bought a lot of items in the Osco Sav-On/CVS merger, then the Rite Aid/Eckerd merger) and all items are 30-70% off. Many clothing items were 60-70% off the marked Target price. They were also doing an "additional 25% off the lowest marked price" on all clothing /shoes (not the home items). In addition to these numerous Target private label softlines and home items, there were quite a few branded toys and similar. I am not sure where those came from but they were mixed in with this 30-70% off major retailer close out sign.

Knowing the ineptitude of the local Target management staff, not surprised Target started shipping stuff over to Big Lots... out of sight, out of mind.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

Target has been reducing inventory which was an issue for them in 2022, so it shouldn't be surprising that this merchandise is turning up in outlets.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I wish I could compare these prices, but many of the Big Lots stores in the San Francisco Bay Area have closed. The few that remain are in very dangerous areas. I really don't want to drive far and wide just to get robbed or shot.

Do you see Big Lots customers buying these items or are they just sitting there with little interest?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 10:01 pm I wish I could compare these prices, but many of the Big Lots stores in the San Francisco Bay Area have closed. The few that remain are in very dangerous areas. I really don't want to drive far and wide just to get robbed or shot.

Do you see Big Lots customers buying these items or are they just sitting there with little interest?
Big Lots has very little foot traffic, I did not see anyone buying the items. They were neatly arranged (as neat as can be) on relatively new fixtures. They definitely put out a good effort on presenting/displaying this stuff, for Big Lots that is.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

It's shocking how much 'excess' merchandise Target seems to have. I think I posted this before in another topic, but there are several 'no frills' liquidation stores in my area (one has multiple locations) and it seems like the vast majority of their inventory is overstocked/clearance/slightly damaged Target merchandise. Even the local Habitat ReStore's are filled with overstocked Target stuff (mostly decorative home crap like fake plastic plants, but I've even seen clothing in a few!)
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

mbz321 wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 7:39 am It's shocking how much 'excess' merchandise Target seems to have. I think I posted this before in another topic, but there are several 'no frills' liquidation stores in my area (one has multiple locations) and it seems like the vast majority of their inventory is overstocked/clearance/slightly damaged Target merchandise. Even the local Habitat ReStore's are filled with overstocked Target stuff (mostly decorative home crap like fake plastic plants, but I've even seen clothing in a few!)
Because unlike everyone else, many of Target's items (shelves, furniture, and most decor) have a shelf life of sorts. When it's no longer "in", Target puts it out - to the liquidator stores. I know I've seen tons of nice, but not brand new Target items at Big Lots, Ollie's and Dirt Cheap for some time. Walmart isn't as quick to dump most furniture, as it's largely utilitarian more than it is decorative (though that is changing). After all, cheap chic is Target's M.O. It isn't Walmart's.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

wnetmacman wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 8:52 am
mbz321 wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 7:39 am It's shocking how much 'excess' merchandise Target seems to have. I think I posted this before in another topic, but there are several 'no frills' liquidation stores in my area (one has multiple locations) and it seems like the vast majority of their inventory is overstocked/clearance/slightly damaged Target merchandise. Even the local Habitat ReStore's are filled with overstocked Target stuff (mostly decorative home crap like fake plastic plants, but I've even seen clothing in a few!)
Because unlike everyone else, many of Target's items (shelves, furniture, and most decor) have a shelf life of sorts. When it's no longer "in", Target puts it out - to the liquidator stores. I know I've seen tons of nice, but not brand new Target items at Big Lots, Ollie's and Dirt Cheap for some time. Walmart isn't as quick to dump most furniture, as it's largely utilitarian more than it is decorative (though that is changing). After all, cheap chic is Target's M.O. It isn't Walmart's.
I had heard in the past it wasn't unusual to see Target stuff, primarily off season seasonal, at various members of Goodwill out in CA. I never took the time to look at Goodwill in my area (which is part of Goodwill Sacramento). I've never seen any Target stuff at places like 99 Only or Grocery Outlet.

I didn't notice furniture or much decor at Big Lots. It was a lot of softlines and toys. Some pet items. Did not see any consumables. I suspect given this was a big buy or whatever they call it that the items may vary by store and these categories may be present in some but not all Big Lots.

What I find strange is Target has so much stuff that was ready for them- the stuff is tagged and everything. I also find it interesting they don't just repackage/retag/rebrand this stuff so it isn't so obvious it is Target stuff.