Juneteenth- National Holiday- Retailer hours?

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Juneteenth- National Holiday- Retailer hours?

Post by storewanderer »

Now that Juneteenth is officially a Federal Holiday and has been for multiple years, I was expecting to see some retailers do some abbreviation to their store hours for tomorrow. Modifications like close pharmacy early, etc.

However I am not seeing anything at retailers modifying hours or closing departments early tomorrow.

Are some retailers considering this a holiday for payroll purposes for instance some retailers do still pay time and a half on holidays if you work the holiday?
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Juneteenth- National Holiday- Retailer hours?

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: June 18th, 2023, 11:25 pm Now that Juneteenth is officially a Federal Holiday and has been for multiple years, I was expecting to see some retailers do some abbreviation to their store hours for tomorrow. Modifications like close pharmacy early, etc.

However I am not seeing anything at retailers modifying hours or closing departments early tomorrow.

Are some retailers considering this a holiday for payroll purposes for instance some retailers do still pay time and a half on holidays if you work the holiday?
I wonder if businesses are treating Juneteenth the way they do Columbus Day, President's Day, and Veteran's Day? Other than banks, most businesses are open.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

It is such a new holiday that not many retailers even treat it as a holiday. No holiday pay for most retailers.

I checked Macy's, JCPenney, and my local malls. They all seem to be open regular hours. Most restaurants seem to be on regular hours too. Pharmacies and drugstores are open regular hours.

Banks are closed as well as Post Offices.

I did notice that after 5 PM on Father's Day that the malls and streets seemed to be very empty. However, the movie theaters seemed busier than normal.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: June 18th, 2023, 11:58 pm
storewanderer wrote: June 18th, 2023, 11:25 pm Now that Juneteenth is officially a Federal Holiday and has been for multiple years, I was expecting to see some retailers do some abbreviation to their store hours for tomorrow. Modifications like close pharmacy early, etc.

I wonder if businesses are treating Juneteenth the way they do Columbus Day, President's Day, and Veteran's Day? Other than banks, most businesses are open.
Veteran's Day I have definitely seen some stores cut pharmacy hours. Not sure for the other days.

I remember in the 90's Raleys closed early on all of those holidays you mention; 9 PM instead of 11 PM. Pretty sure it is regular hours for them now.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

FedEx and UPS stores will be open regular hours. Closing early would only hurt sales at retailers. June is the start of the summer vacation season. Many retailers want the extra sales.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

HAPPY JUNETEENTH to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

🙌🙌🙌🎉🎉🎉
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

It also seems like most employers are still treating it as a normal work day. Some larger companies do make it a holiday now, but that seems to be more the exception than the rule. Then again it still seems relatively recent (within the last 10 years or so) that employers started giving employees Martin Luther King day off, and days like Veteran's Day and Columbus day are rarely given by employers as holidays in my experience. In my current job there is one "floating holiday" given per year that could theoretically be used to cover one of these, but there's no hard and fast guideline. I know some of the offshore people I work with seem to have a lot more holidays than US people do; The people in China I've worked with get a week at a time off for things like Chinese New Year and Golden Week, and it seems like the Indian people I work with get frequent holidays too.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Presidents' Day is another day where many people still have to work in the office. Strangely enough Christmas Eve is a work day. While Christmas Day is a holiday. The exception is if Christmas Day falls on Saturday. Then Christmas Eve becomes the day off.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

Costco gives us a 'floating holiday' in lieu of anything specific for Juneteenth, that can be used then or any other day in the year of our choosing. We also get one for MLK, but that can only be used a few weeks before and proceeding the holiday.
bryceleinan
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

A lot of entities have not adopted regulations for the new federal holiday. For example, the Nevada Legislature had to pass a bill to add Juneteenth to the list of state holidays, and it was signed a couple of weeks ago, long enough to give us a heads-up it is a state holiday now.