Walgreens Chains Refrigerators Shut

Alpha8472

Walgreens Chains Refrigerators Shut

Post by Alpha8472 »

Walgreens in San Francisco chains refrigerators with padlocks to prevent theft.

Target gets robbed every 10 minutes and other stores are doing one in and one out. They only let one customer in or out at a time. Perhaps it is time for bullet proof metal detector entrance vestibules or mantraps like some banks.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... s-day.html
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Walgreens Chains Refrigerators Shut

Post by babs »

I saw chained refrigerators in drug stores all over New York City. Why does only SF get the press?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

This is not really that uncommon in spirit. Walgreens in Downtown Reno has locks on its freezer doors (they quit using them as of late) and has for probably 4-5 years.

What is uncommon is the bad looking padlock thing. They need to properly install locks within the doors.

In California where liquor sales are restricted between 2 AM and 5 AM, it is not unusual for the cooler doors to have locks on them and those doors locked up in 24 hour convenience stores. I assume other states with similar liquor sales laws and 24 hour stores have a similar set up.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

babs wrote: July 19th, 2023, 10:00 pm I saw chained refrigerators in drug stores all over New York City. Why does only SF get the press?
I've asked myself the very same thing.

While I'm not disputing the fact that conditions in San Francisco are bad, this article is not exactly 100% accurate. It reports that Whole Foods closed all of its stores in the city when, in fact, they closed one and have eight remaining stores. That's a big deal, but I could have told them that opening at Trinity Place was a bad idea. They also reported that Nordstrom is closing "all of their stores" in the city. While that is technically true, "all of their stores" amounts to two - a Nordstrom and a Nordstom Rack. Lastly, the claim that Target gets shoplifted every ten minutes doesn't pass the sniff test. If that was true, the store would have 66 shoplifting events each day (it is open from 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM). Methinks The Daily Mail is a small step above the British tabloids that have the daily bikini girl on the front page. Journalistic quality at its finest.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

The Daily Mail isknown in the UK as "The Daily Fail" and it's US website isn't any more credible than its British parent.

As for locked refrigerated cabinets in NYC---I was just there and didn't see them "all over the place", although they did lock up detergent and some other items at the Moynihan train hall location.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

rwsandiego wrote: July 20th, 2023, 1:00 am
babs wrote: July 19th, 2023, 10:00 pm I saw chained refrigerators in drug stores all over New York City. Why does only SF get the press?

While I'm not disputing the fact that conditions in San Francisco are bad, this article is not exactly 100% accurate. It reports that Whole Foods closed all of its stores in the city when, in fact, they closed one and have eight remaining stores. That's a big deal, but I could have told them that opening at Trinity Place was a bad idea. They also reported that Nordstrom is closing "all of their stores" in the city. While that is technically true, "all of their stores" amounts to two - a Nordstrom and a Nordstom Rack. Lastly, the claim that Target gets shoplifted every ten minutes doesn't pass the sniff test. If that was true, the store would have 66 shoplifting events each day (it is open from 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM). Methinks The Daily Mail is a small step above the British tabloids that have the daily bikini girl on the front page. Journalistic quality at its finest.
Exactly!

California is the internet's click bait God.

Everyone relishes over reporting "things" in California and everyone loves to read it.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

buckguy wrote: July 20th, 2023, 4:44 am The Daily Mail isknown in the UK as "The Daily Fail" and it's US website isn't any more credible than its British parent.

As for locked refrigerated cabinets in NYC---I was just there and didn't see them "all over the place", although they did lock up detergent and some other items at the Moynihan train hall location.
Every drug store I went to in Brooklyn was over 70% locked up. The drug stores I went to in Lower Manhattan were simillarily locked up. All the Targets had aisle after aisle locked up, even socks and underwear! There is no other city I have been to where I have seen so much stuff locked up.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

buckguy wrote: July 20th, 2023, 4:44 am The Daily Mail isknown in the UK as "The Daily Fail" and it's US website isn't any more credible than its British parent.

Every drug store I went to in Brooklyn was over 70% locked up. The drug stores I went to in Lower Manhattan were simillarily locked up. All the Targets had aisle after aisle locked up, even socks and underwear! There is no other city I have been to where I have seen so much stuff locked up.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

veteran+ wrote: July 20th, 2023, 8:50 am
rwsandiego wrote: July 20th, 2023, 1:00 am

Exactly!

California is the internet's click bait God.

Everyone relishes over reporting "things" in California and everyone loves to read it.
Followed by Chicago, where the Internet would have you think people are getting shot in the State Street Macy's and dragged across the street to Walgreens where an employee locks 'em up in a detergent display while the police are munching on donuts they stole out of a pastry case.

Here in Phoenix, Walgreens doesn't have to lock up freezer cases. The police would only have to follow the trail of melted ice cream to the shoplifter or watch for the guy baking a pizza on the sidewalk. :D :P :lol:
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Arizona has vastly different laws. They even arrest old ladies for stealing at the self checkout. Shoplifting is punished more severely over there.