Kroger paying for licensed music in ads...

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Kroger paying for licensed music in ads...

Post by SamSpade »

I hadn't really thought about it with the ads using the pop music of the past few decades, but then the newest Kroger campaigns are using "The Price is Right."

Interesting choice... easily identifiable to those of us considered 'millennial' or older.

I just wonder how much the agency has to spend to use these pieces instead of something similar or trying to find an eager record label to license something new/contemporary for exposure?

Regardless, this is probably my favorite Kroji message so far. Now if "Dillons" would just stop hitting my streaming audio ads. :lol:

This is the Spanish language version but you get the idea:
https://ispot.tv/a/13vN
storewanderer

Re: Kroger paying for licensed music in ads...

Post by storewanderer »

They finally nailed it. The entire ad made me smile.

Great ad.

Also interesting continuity or connection to the now nearly 20 years old "right store right price" campaign.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

One of the reasons that The Price Is Right has stuck around so long is that even though its demographic definitely skews older, it seems to be unusually popular with college-age students.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Brian Lutz wrote: August 1st, 2023, 11:46 am One of the reasons that The Price Is Right has stuck around so long is that even though its demographic definitely skews older, it seems to be unusually popular with college-age students.
There is a quirkiness to The Price is Right that has kept it relevant. I really don't know what it is about it. The sounds. The randomness of basically everything. The fact that people really don't know prices and the entire thing is like a crapshoot. Good hosts over the years.
BreakingThrough
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by BreakingThrough »

I think that including familiar, catchy songs is core to Kroger's current Kroji ad strategy. So music licensing is probably built into the budget -- they also save a bunch on human actors since everything is animated.

[Small voice] I must admit that I find some of the Kroger ads amusing / catchy. Better than the "Sincerely, Hemorrhoid Cream" campaign at Safeway.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

Brian Lutz wrote: August 1st, 2023, 11:46 am One of the reasons that The Price Is Right has stuck around so long is that even though its demographic definitely skews older, it seems to be unusually popular with college-age students.
I went to college in LA, and it was very common for groups (sports teams, fraternities, etc.) to get group tickets and go in the audience. If you had 20 people, you got guaranteed seating and didn't have to wait in line. Other TV shows also had similar deals, but Price is Right was by far the most popular.