Safeway accused of overcharges, again

California. No non-grocery posts.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Safeway accused of overcharges, again

Post by ClownLoach »

Safeway is accused of widespread overcharges again.

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/saf ... 274669.php
storewanderer

Re: Safeway accused of overcharges, again

Post by storewanderer »

I've had good luck with Safeway on price scanning the past couple years. I had one incident somewhat recently when I somehow ended up with 3 of about 12 items that scanned wrong and/or a digital coupon did not apply. I invoked the scan guarantee on all items, which the employee had never heard of before, but I had them read the sign and I was given a refund for all items.

Wal Mart recently got fined in Nevada for overcharging. This is very unusual for Nevada to do something like this. But there was no scan guarantee implemented and the fine was basically a slap on the wrist.

I've been incorrectly charged CRV on "100% fruit juice" at just about every Asian chain in CA. Nobody cares or will do anything about it. These operators do not even respond to e-mail complaints.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Also NorCal Safeway has quit publishing a monthly savings booklet and has also basically moved to a single page ad that mostly runs for 2 weeks.

They have far fewer promotions advertised than ever before yet for some reason they still can't get control of their ongoing price increases they keep doing. Or stupid things changing prices steadily. Why did Friskies Cat Food go from 0.90 to 1.29 for a couple weeks then went back to 0.99 then went on sale at 0.90. Why didn't they just keep it at 0.90 to begin with? This is the kind of stupid pricing practices Safeway NorCal applies throughout its store and why they have scan accuracy problems.

Meanwhile during that time period the Friskies Cat Food at Smiths sat at .85 everyday the whole time- the price never changed once.

Safeway NorCal also has sloppy pricing. For a while they had Progresso Soup at prices ranging 4.79, 4.99, or 5.49 depending on type ("light" or "vegetable classics" or "hearty") and at some point they did put them all back down to 4.79 again but again why did they mess around with all that different pricing in the first place? They also ran multiple sales during that time, some one day sales, some digital app, etc., some were for all varieties and some were only for certain ones. This is another item where the price was at Smiths the entire time at 2.99 across the board everyday, they did run a few sales but the sales they ran every flavor was on sale at the same price.

Another problem Safeway NorCal has is they change prices too many days. They do one day sale on Friday but that one they are good at cleaning up and those signs get taken down Friday overnight. For quite a few months earlier this year they were doing a promotion in bakery where Saturday-Sunday week 1 donuts were 2 for $1 then the next week bagels were 2 for $1 then week 3 back to donuts again, etc. (if buying 2, 1 was .99), of course many stores never put the sign up and then others who did put the sign up still had it up Monday after it expired so there's a scan error.
bryceleinan
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

Given the state of the stores in Alameda, I am not entirely surprised Safeway has issues with pricing. Never had a problem in Reno, although, as Storewanderer pointed out, Friskies are in a constant price change. My cats ordered me to get some of their favorite, so that is the price we pay, lol.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The Friskies pricing example plays out across the store at Safeway on all kinds of items. This is why their pricing is so messed up. This is where Kroger develops an efficiency in not changing prices all the time for no rhyme or reason and giving the customer consistent everyday pricing.

I don't know, Petsmart has better pricing and way better in stock condition on Friskies than these grocers. Also Amazon and Chewy had 24ct at 14.49 back in June or July which was a pretty good deal by today's standards and had a lot of options.

I was in a Smiths tonight and I noticed they have only 6 SKUs of Friskies single cans and filled the space up with multi packs. Hard to tell if this is temporary or what as it wasn't a new planogram, just tags placed all over, some covered up, etc.

I hope they can keep those 6 SKUs in stock at least.