Safeway accused of selling expired drugs in California

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Safeway accused of selling expired drugs in California

Post by storewanderer »

https://fox40.com/news/local-news/yolo- ... alifornia/

This is not an issue I've observed with Safeway.

California seems to be mulling around for fines lately and I guess the biggest grocer in the state is an easy target.

I know of a literal pot of gold for CA to fine for expired items, scan overcharges, safety issues, etc., but since the state inspectors don't care about rural parts of the state it seems that chain gets left alone.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Safeway accused of selling expired drugs in California

Post by rwsandiego »

A DA suing Albertsons over expired OTC drugs seems a bit extreme. Seems like something a health department would handle first. Even if the DA's office is tasked with such things, contacting Albertsons would seem like the first course of action followed by a lawsuit if they did not act. In this case, the Yolo County DA acknowledged Albertsons remediated the problem immediately upon being contacted, so why the lawsuit?

Makes me wonder if a certain DA is up for reelection.
Alpha8472

Re: Safeway accused of selling expired drugs in California

Post by Alpha8472 »

Safeway probably has a lack of staffing. They obviously didn't have their employees go through every single bottle and check expiration dates.

The problem is there are customers who do shady things like bringing back expired drugs and putting them on the shelves. They then take a non-expired item. So you could get sabotage from customers.

Many customers also bring back expired items for returns and claim they bought them recently, but in fact they just had them lying around the house for years.

I work in a pharmacy and the pharmacy checks drugs for expiration. At 3 months before, we get rid of expiring drugs. Customers bring back bottles and claim they expired years ago.

Many pharmacies take photos of the pill bottles. So we have complete records of what the patient received. The customers still deny such fraud even though we have photos.