Jack in the Box new $5 Meals

storewanderer

Jack in the Box new $5 Meals

Post by storewanderer »

This is patterned after the Burger King and Wendys $5 deals. Old $1 menu items.

They are offering:

Junior Jumbo Jack Cheeseburger (2.79 value)
Value Size Curly Fry (1.59 value- but not really on the menu to order alone)
1 Taco (0.99 value)
Value SIze Drink (1.59 value)

At this point McDonalds really needs to respond somehow to these small meal type deals.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Jack in the Box new $5 Meals

Post by Bagels »

$6 locally. You can also choose a chicken sandwich.

Chicken sandwich is $2.19, burger $2.39. 2 tacos are 99c. The kids/ value curly fry and drink (available on the menu but not the app here) are 1.49 each. It’s actually a better deal to order them off the menu.

Rally’s is also doing a $5 meal.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: August 5th, 2023, 8:02 pm $6 locally. You can also choose a chicken sandwich.

Chicken sandwich is $2.19, burger $2.39. 2 tacos are 99c. The kids/ value curly fry and drink (available on the menu but not the app here) are 1.49 each. It’s actually a better deal to order them off the menu.

Interesting. I am seeing the $5 price in Reno/Sacramento but as soon as you cross into the bay area (or go further south) it is $6.

It is also strange since regular menu prices in Southern California are lower than Reno/Sacramento as you point out. I'm not surprised bay area is $6.

$6 is no deal for this in my opinion. $5 is a fair price. Not a screaming deal but a fair price.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Bagels wrote: August 5th, 2023, 8:02 pm $6 locally. You can also choose a chicken sandwich.

The question is, would anyone go to the trouble of ordering all that separately (and paying more, but getting more, if you can only order the tacos by 2 that way), or to save $0.13 (or $0.33 if getting the chicken)?

If it was quite a bit of difference, or if someone didn't really want one of the items it makes sense, but probably not for that small difference.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: August 6th, 2023, 12:21 pm

The question is, would anyone go to the trouble of ordering all that separately (and paying more, but getting more, if you can only order the tacos by 2 that way), or to save $0.13 (or $0.33 if getting the chicken)?

If it was quite a bit of difference, or if someone didn't really want one of the items it makes sense, but probably not for that small difference.
The only way you get 2 tacos for 0.99 is via the app. Maybe some locations still have that as the menu price but most are now 2 tacos 1.29 or something. Locally 1 taco is available for .99 (not on the menu).

The value size curly fry is not on the menu and cannot be ordered separately (they have no button on the register to sell value size curly fries outside a kids meal or now this $5 meal). They could theoretically charge you a value size fry and give you curly fries instead but there is a price difference on curly fries so they are not supposed to do that. The typical price variance between regular fry and curly fry is .30 but it is sometimes more. I think the reason they never offered a value size curly fry in the past is because the way the curly fries are shaped and how they go in the bag, basically, the little tiny value fry paper bag ends up having almost no curly fries in it or rips very easily. The paper bag they use for the small fries (which curly is sold) is more of a foldable paper bag that folds out on both sides to give the proper space for the curly fries.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

Several JITB near me maintain the legacy value menu, albeit at modern pricing. Some of these items cannot be purchased on the app and the ones that can have lower pricing than the app —- the Jr. Jumbo Jack, Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger, Chicken Sandwich and 4 piece Chicken Nuggets are all less than $2, but up to $3 on the app. A couple locations sell the desserts for $1.49 (vs. $2.99+ on the app) and Breakfast Jack for $1.99 ($3.99). You can definitely order a value sized curly fry - some locations refer to the value size as “kid’s.” And yes, the tacos are two for 99c.

Some JITB don’t have the value menu. Those storss feature significantly higher pricing. For example The Jumbo Jack is priced below $4 at most locations but I stopped at a location last month that had it for $6.49. Nothing special about that store or area either.

JITB aren’t consistent. A local store puts the onion rings in the value fries pouch — literally three or four rings for almost $4.50 at menu price. Many others use the boxes still.

In other JITB news, they’ve brought back cheddar potato wedges although again, not on the app (but 3.49 at menu price which is a pretty good deal although very caloric so I try to avoid them).
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

BillyGr wrote: August 6th, 2023, 12:21 pm

I agree 100%. Meals are just a convenience / marking tool - was pointing out its a poor deal though.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: August 6th, 2023, 7:55 pm Several JITB near me maintain the legacy value menu, albeit at modern pricing. Some of these items cannot be purchased on the app and the ones that can have lower pricing than the app —- the Jr. Jumbo Jack, Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger, Chicken Sandwich and 4 piece Chicken Nuggets are all less than $2, but up to $3 on the app. A couple locations sell the desserts for $1.49 (vs. $2.99+ on the app) and Breakfast Jack for $1.99 ($3.99). You can definitely order a value sized curly fry - some locations refer to the value size as “kid’s.” And yes, the tacos are two for 99c.

Some JITB don’t have the value menu. Those storss feature significantly higher pricing. For example The Jumbo Jack is priced below $4 at most locations but I stopped at a location last month that had it for $6.49. Nothing special about that store or area either.

JITB aren’t consistent. A local store puts the onion rings in the value fries pouch — literally three or four rings for almost $4.50 at menu price. Many others use the boxes still.

In other JITB news, they’ve brought back cheddar potato wedges although again, not on the app (but 3.49 at menu price which is a pretty good deal although very caloric so I try to avoid them).
All of the locations are supposed to still display the value menu in restaurant (except like the one in the San Diego airport), but maybe some cover it up with some kind of a promotional poster or something. It is part of their menu. The value drink/value fries were never offered on the app, but various sandwiches from the value menu have always been available in the app. The app pricing on these items in my area is the same as what is posted on the menu, that is interesting some locations are doing something different. The main chain who I find to have different app pricing vs. in restaurant pricing is Taco Bell.

The Munchie Meal onion rings are only a 4 piece onion ring and are sold in a value fry bag (that is their serving guideline). The full size onion ring that is provided in a combo meal or aline is supposed to be I think it is 8 pieces and sold in a box as you mention. So any location who is doing 4 piece as a standard order, that should be brought to their attention on the spot, and if not resolved, it should be reported to the corporate office.

They also seem to have a new breakfast taco, and also have added quesadillas.

Their menu appears to be going somewhat out of control. Business in the units must be so slow that they can handle all of these different items.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

In fairness, much of their menu - including new creations - is made from only a handful of items. That said, their drive though is definitely slower than the competition.

Their business is definitely down. Two locations near be have closed in the past year, and both had been open for 50 years. The locations that seem to do the best are near the highways. I’m not really surprised, JITB was long known for being open late and being cheap(ER) but the hours have been cut and the value proposition is no longer there.

Many locations are charging $12 for value meals which sell similarly for $10-11 anywhere else. The Munchie Meal can be a good value if you pick two medium fries / curly fries as your side, and your location doesn’t use the boxes. If they use the box, you won’t get more food than a regular medium fry.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: August 13th, 2023, 2:16 pm In fairness, much of their menu - including new creations - is made from only a handful of items. That said, their drive though is definitely slower than the competition.

Their business is definitely down. Two locations near be have closed in the past year, and both had been open for 50 years. The locations that seem to do the best are near the highways. I’m not really surprised, JITB was long known for being open late and being cheap(ER) but the hours have been cut and the value proposition is no longer there.

Many locations are charging $12 for value meals which sell similarly for $10-11 anywhere else. The Munchie Meal can be a good value if you pick two medium fries / curly fries as your side, and your location doesn’t use the boxes. If they use the box, you won’t get more food than a regular medium fry.
Their pricing is absurd. These very high priced Carls in my area which last price increased in early 2021 (still terrible prices), are priced very similar to the current Jack in the Box prices. I could not believe when I went into Jack in the Box and saw they were charging $11.09 for a Small Spicy Chicken Combo, $10.99 for a 3 chicken strip small combo, or $11.59 for a small Double Jack Combo. Yet they are only (only?) 8.19 for a Jumbo Jack (no cheese) combo or 7.99 for a Jumbo Jack with Cheese Combo (that doesn't make sense does it)...

The Munchie Meal here, you receive almost the same amount of fries if you ask for 2 servings of fries as you do if you ask for 1 fries and the 4pc onion rings (which get sandwiched into the box and hardly take up any space). If you ask for the 2 tacos, the 2 tacos take up quite a bit of space in the box, so you only get what looks like a medium portion of fries. Are they still supposed to be using boxes or is this unit here just using up old supplies? They just throw fries into the box here (no fry container). The only thing that goes into the box wrapped is the chicken sandwich/burger.