ALDI to acquire Winn-Dixie

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: ALDI to acquire Winn-Dixie

Post by storewanderer »

wnetmacman wrote: March 7th, 2024, 4:16 pm
pseudo3d wrote: March 7th, 2024, 4:11 pm Right, but unless Aldi is planning something big, they probably aren't going to run full-size stores for very long. It's been speculated that once SEG finishes with them they'll offload the scraps to another buyer like C&S and/or independents (if not close them entirely).
Aldi's Announcement said that they would be opening up to 800 new stores. I wouldn't plan on any scraps.
I guess they think they can take the various 50k square foot Winn Dixie boxes and throw a 20k square foot Aldi in, then sublease the other 30k square feet to some other retailer.

It will be interesting to see how long they do that for.

I heard the SE Grocers private label has been discontinued but it is being replaced with some other label, not Aldi brands. So maybe they'll be around for a while longer.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

wnetmacman wrote: March 7th, 2024, 4:16 pm Aldi's Announcement said that they would be opening up to 800 new stores. I wouldn't plan on any scraps.
But wasn't it noted elsewhere that includes other areas of the USA? Thus not all of those would correspond to the stores they have acquired.
storewanderer wrote: March 7th, 2024, 6:24 pm I guess they think they can take the various 50k square foot Winn Dixie boxes and throw a 20k square foot Aldi in, then sublease the other 30k square feet to some other retailer.

It will be interesting to see how long they do that for.

I heard the SE Grocers private label has been discontinued but it is being replaced with some other label, not Aldi brands. So maybe they'll be around for a while longer.
Maybe something that C&S has (like a Best Yet or other brand)? That might be easier to deal with in the interim, as they have it for other stores beyond this chain, so wouldn't have issue still supplying it to a smaller number of locations as some stores get converted into Aldi?
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

storewanderer wrote: March 7th, 2024, 6:24 pm
Just looking at a Winn Dixie circular for this week online, it is full of 'SE Grocers' items, including a whole page of non-food items with price comparisons to the name brand.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

mbz321 wrote: March 8th, 2024, 6:13 pm
storewanderer wrote: March 7th, 2024, 6:24 pm
Just looking at a Winn Dixie circular for this week online, it is full of 'SE Grocers' items, including a whole page of non-food items with price comparisons to the name brand.
It is discontinued. You will see a new brand in the coming weeks. The new brand is called "Know and Love." It appears this was a decision made just before Aldi took over, so who knows if they will actually go through with this or not.

It seems like it would make more sense to just slot comparable Aldi products...
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

storewanderer wrote: March 9th, 2024, 12:07 am

It is discontinued. You will see a new brand in the coming weeks. The new brand is called "Know and Love."
Ugh that name *cringe* I guess they had to compete with Target's silly 'Good and Gather' or ShopRite's 'Bowl and Basket'. :mrgreen:
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

mbz321 wrote: March 9th, 2024, 5:29 pm
storewanderer wrote: March 9th, 2024, 12:07 am

It is discontinued. You will see a new brand in the coming weeks. The new brand is called "Know and Love."
Ugh that name *cringe* I guess they had to compete with Target's silly 'Good and Gather' or ShopRite's 'Bowl and Basket'. :mrgreen:
It appears they started this brand last year as a clean label line, but they are now shifting all of their private labels to it.

Bought some Bowl and Basket Refrigerated Pasta at Grocery Outlet; Product of Italy. Clean list of ingredients and no added salt. Not a bad product for 0.99. It seems to be selling poorly; they started it at 1.49 then moved it to 0.99; they expire mid April and they have quite a bit left. 5 minutes to cook vs. the typical 15 minutes for boiling dry pasta.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: March 9th, 2024, 11:06 pm Bought some Bowl and Basket Refrigerated Pasta at Grocery Outlet; Product of Italy. Clean list of ingredients and no added salt. Not a bad product for 0.99. It seems to be selling poorly; they started it at 1.49 then moved it to 0.99; they expire mid April and they have quite a bit left. 5 minutes to cook vs. the typical 15 minutes for boiling dry pasta.
I wonder if they were selling poorly for ShopRite as well - can't seem to find anything on their site (at least not for the local store) - they have the Buitoni (which is $4+), but nothing Bowl & Basket in refrigerated pasta.

I'm sure it was a bit more than even the $1.49 when they sold it :)
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: March 10th, 2024, 12:12 pm
storewanderer wrote: March 9th, 2024, 11:06 pm Bought some Bowl and Basket Refrigerated Pasta at Grocery Outlet; Product of Italy. Clean list of ingredients and no added salt. Not a bad product for 0.99. It seems to be selling poorly; they started it at 1.49 then moved it to 0.99; they expire mid April and they have quite a bit left. 5 minutes to cook vs. the typical 15 minutes for boiling dry pasta.
I wonder if they were selling poorly for ShopRite as well - can't seem to find anything on their site (at least not for the local store) - they have the Buitoni (which is $4+), but nothing Bowl & Basket in refrigerated pasta.

Grocery Outlet thinks the comparable value is 2.49, but those prices are usually highly questionable.
I can't find any evidence Shop Rite actually ever sold this stuff. Use zip 89502 if it wants a zip. On Instacart I'm seeing Grocery Outlet prices 1.19-1.69 depending what zip code I use. That aligns with the 0.99 and 1.49 prices I mentioned above, there must be a .20 price difference on Instacart with that item price range.
https://www.instacart.com/landing?produ ... code=94203
marketreportblog
Front-End Supervisor
Front-End Supervisor

Post by marketreportblog »

storewanderer wrote: March 10th, 2024, 1:29 pm

Grocery Outlet thinks the comparable value is 2.49, but those prices are usually highly questionable.
I can't find any evidence Shop Rite actually ever sold this stuff. Use zip 89502 if it wants a zip. On Instacart I'm seeing Grocery Outlet prices 1.19-1.69 depending what zip code I use. That aligns with the 0.99 and 1.49 prices I mentioned above, there must be a .20 price difference on Instacart with that item price range.
What type of pasta? ShopRite sold various fresh pastas under the ShopRite Kitchen brand for a long time. Those were slow to transition to Bowl & Basket, but the fresh pastas (especially ravioli, tortellini, and other stuffed pastas) are definitely still sold at ShopRite for around $4.29. https://www.shoprite.com/sm/pickup/rsid ... 1190469925 Not sure if that’s the exact one you’re thinking of, though.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

marketreportblog wrote: March 11th, 2024, 4:24 am
storewanderer wrote: March 10th, 2024, 1:29 pm

What type of pasta? ShopRite sold various fresh pastas under the ShopRite Kitchen brand for a long time. Those were slow to transition to Bowl & Basket, but the fresh pastas (especially ravioli, tortellini, and other stuffed pastas) are definitely still sold at ShopRite for around $4.29. https://www.shoprite.com/sm/pickup/rsid ... 1190469925 Not sure if that’s the exact one you’re thinking of, though.
I saw those as well but was thinking this was talking about plain unstuffed pasta (aka just linguine, spaghetti etc.), and those didn't seem to be found on the SR site (just the ravioli and such you are referring to).