Harris Teeter hiring in Philadelphia

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia. No non-grocery posts.
cw06
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Harris Teeter hiring in Philadelphia

Post by cw06 »

Harris Teeter has some job postings for a fulfillment center in Philadelphia. Expanding the brand into the Northeast maybe? Also curious as how ACME fits in if the Albertsons merger goes through.

https://myhtcareers.referrals.selectmin ... -pa-150210
pseudo3d

Re: Harris Teeter hiring in Philadelphia

Post by pseudo3d »

cw06 wrote: August 17th, 2023, 1:06 pm Harris Teeter has some job postings for a fulfillment center in Philadelphia. Expanding the brand into the Northeast maybe? Also curious as how ACME fits in if the Albertsons merger goes through.

https://myhtcareers.referrals.selectmin ... -pa-150210
The mention of "stores/spokes" indicates that it will just be online-only and its a generic term for both DC types.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Should use Kroger there. Not Harris Teeter.

Must be using Harris Teeter to justify higher pricing.

Interesting decision.

Or could it be to keep it non union?
jdb820
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by jdb820 »

Might be because of brand recognition for those who go down to the Delaware/Maryland beaches?

Might also be because of wanting to finish the job that Ruddick-era HT wanted to do by expanding to Philly even though that would take a DC somewhere in NoVA/MD to properly accomplish.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

That's definitely interesting. Maybe Kroger is going to do like they are doing in Florida right now by becoming strictly an e-commerce/Delivery operation? Although maybe there is a familiarity with the name for some, I don't think Harris Teeter is really that well known. I would imagine more would have at least heard of the name 'Kroger'. I don't really know if there is any more room in this market for another brick and mortar grocery chain.

As a side note, I really do hope Kroger ends up with Acme somehow...Acme is pretty much the most mediocre chain in the area with some of the highest prices around. Anything would be an improvement at this rate.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

mbz321 wrote: August 22nd, 2023, 6:11 pm That's definitely interesting. Maybe Kroger is going to do like they are doing in Florida right now by becoming strictly an e-commerce/Delivery operation? Although maybe there is a familiarity with the name for some, I don't think Harris Teeter is really that well known. I would imagine more would have at least heard of the name 'Kroger'. I don't really know if there is any more room in this market for another brick and mortar grocery chain.

As a side note, I really do hope Kroger ends up with Acme somehow...Acme is pretty much the most mediocre chain in the area with some of the highest prices around. Anything would be an improvement at this rate.
I don't know... Harris Teeter connected to their DC/VA/MD operation (which is poor compared to the Carolinas) or Acme? I feel like neither one is going to be worth doing much shopping at over Giant-PA.

Kroger vs. Giant-PA... that is a cause for more of a pause, as Kroger could stand up to them pretty good on private label and some pricing.

Acme with Kroger products but still Safeway style pricing- another joke, they may as well not bother. That is the outcome I expect.

Also the fact that Acme is strongly union while Harris Teeter is non-union makes me wonder if that is why they are doing it this way.