Kroger to sell 10 Harris Teeter stores in D.C., Virginia and Maryland to Piggly Wiggly owner

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia. No non-grocery posts.
cw06
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Kroger to sell 10 Harris Teeter stores in D.C., Virginia and Maryland to Piggly Wiggly owner

Post by cw06 »

https://archive.ph/UEkyU

I always thought that HT would be the surviving brand in the DMV, but it appears not.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Kroger to sell 10 Harris Teeter stores in D.C., Virginia and Maryland to Piggly Wiggly owner

Post by veteran+ »

cw06 wrote: September 9th, 2023, 7:42 am https://archive.ph/UEkyU

I always thought that HT would be the surviving brand in the DMV, but it appears not.
From HT to Piggly Wiggly?

I'm sorry, but I cannot stand that name 🤮🤮

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Kroger to sell 10 Harris Teeter stores in D.C., Virginia and Maryland to Piggly Wiggly owner

Post by arizonaguy »

I'd assume Grand Union will be the name used for these stores.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

arizonaguy wrote: September 9th, 2023, 8:54 am I'd assume Grand Union will be the name used for these stores.
Sounds somewhat logical, even though it's been a while since they were there, GU was in that DC general area in the past.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

I’m wondering if Mariano’s would be used? Yes, it’s from the Chicago area but it is a similar concept.
mjhale
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by mjhale »

Ten stores is not the entire fleet of Harris Teeter stores in the DC-Baltimore area. It will be interesting where the perceived overlap is at this point. Ahold-Delhaize still has Food Lion locations embedded within Giant-MD territories more so in Maryland than Virginia. If the merger goes through, I wonder if the combined entity will keep the remaining stores bannered as is or if they will rebanner all to Safeway or Harris Teeter. Also the brand names that are being sold to C&S are all Safeway brands. With that I'm guessing we are going to see Kroger brands coming into Safeway stores if that name is kept in the DC-Baltimore market.
cw06
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by cw06 »

mjhale wrote: September 9th, 2023, 12:05 pm With that I'm guessing we are going to see Kroger brands coming into Safeway stores if that name is kept in the DC-Baltimore market.
At least I'll still be able to get the Simple Truth Chipotle Hot Sauce if all of my local Harris Teeter's close.
cw06
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by cw06 »

veteran+ wrote: September 9th, 2023, 8:48 am
cw06 wrote: September 9th, 2023, 7:42 am https://archive.ph/UEkyU

From HT to Piggly Wiggly?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
HT employees are going to be jazzed about this. The rank and file will lose their biannual profit sharing checks. Management who picked up and relocated to work for a "premium" grocer will be pissed to be foisted off Piggly Wiggly.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

Not to go too far down a rabbit hole here off topic but I was surprised that King's / Balducci's was not sold to C&S. That seemed like more of a non-core entity that also overlapped with Acme / Safeway / Harris Teeter in that same region.
marketreportblog
Front-End Supervisor
Front-End Supervisor

Post by marketreportblog »

arizonaguy wrote: September 9th, 2023, 7:03 pm Not to go too far down a rabbit hole here off topic but I was surprised that King's / Balducci's was not sold to C&S. That seemed like more of a non-core entity that also overlapped with Acme / Safeway / Harris Teeter in that same region.
But Kings specifically was purchased, I believe, particularly for its overlap with ACME because they wanted to prevent another competitor from getting the stores. That makes it not ideal to sell now.