Did Plaid Pantry quietly get sold?

Gas stations & convenience stores (AM/PM, 7-Eleven, etc.)
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Did Plaid Pantry quietly get sold?

Post by SamSpade »

In recent years these stores have really seen a facelift to newer wall graphics, floor improvements, more fresh product added.

When I worked with their ad rep, they didn't really advertise much as they wanted to give that back to their customers, according to past media reporting on the chain.

Now, they have run some limited TV advertising as well as sponsored content in Willamette Week newspaper, and I do still hear a little bit of radio tagging from vendors to "pick up at your local Plaid Pantry." Their corporate headquarters sign also seems to be missing off the corner of Allen Blvd. and Western Ave. in Beaverton, Ore.

While not as good as many of the modern operators, they did at least appear to step up into the 21st century. I've even started going in a little bit to pick up interesting beverages. Prices are much better than ARCO AM/PM or 7-Eleven near me. (store presentation is better than my local 7/11 also)

https://www.wweek.com/promotions/2023/0 ... ing-local/ (paid content)
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Did Plaid Pantry quietly get sold?

Post by marshd1000 »

One thing I find interesting about Plaid Pantry is that they have held on to one single location on Lower Queen Anne Hill in Seattle for about 25-30 years now. I remember that they had started to make inroads into Puget Sound. Plus they had become a Am/Pm franchisee. The plan had been to convert all,of the existing stores to Am/Pm. They even opened ONE Am/Pm branded outlet without gas pumps in the Georgetown Center strip mall in Seattle’s Georgetown neighborhood. I forgot if that reverted to Plaid Pantry branding after the agreement fell apart. But it didn’t last long. But I do remember a Plaid Pantry location with Arco gas in Kenmore, WA that lasted for awhile, maybe into the early 2000’s? Maybe if it is under new ownership, they could come back to Seattle?
Last edited by marshd1000 on September 17th, 2023, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Back in 2009-2010 there were 3 Plaid Pantry units around Seattle, then it dropped to 2 units. Only this one still open had fuel, the other two did not.

I can't find any indication the chain was sold? I feel like I heard radio ads in the past, with a jingle. Maybe not. The HQ seems to have moved to 1585 SW Marlow in Portland, very recently.

Plaid Pantry didn't change much with the times. Zero focus on dispensed beverage save for a lone soda machine and a lone coffee dispenser. But their coolers and aisles were always stocked with maximum product mix. They always had a number of good promotions throughout their store (considering they are a convenience store) as well. Their prices always seemed a little lower than other convenience stores. I am not sure who their supplier was but I felt like they had a supplier who was working with them to push a large mix of items at competitive (for a convenience store) prices. These "neighborhood" type convenience stores are a little different from the Interstate/highway convenience stores. You really have to look at the neighborhood the store is in and feel out who is shopping there. Is there a large tobacco crowd? Is there a morning coffee/newspaper crowd? Are there schools nearby and if so what age are the kids (younger kids more interested in candy, high school kids more interested in soda)? What is the on the way home crowd like- what do they buy? How far away is the nearest actual grocery store? Many units were not 24 hours, which given their locations made sense. I always enjoyed this chain.

There was one Plaid Pantry somewhere in very far north Portland that had 76 fuel and the store did not feel as much like a Plaid Pantry. Maybe they took it from someone else. It had more dispensed beverage equipment and more fresh food, and that was 10+ years ago. This unit was at 1020 North Marine. They also had units somewhere that had co-brands with Subway (which they were operating as I recall).
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Sounds like the original 7-11, before they overemphasized gasoline sales when they bought Citgo.