Publix in Cincinnati?

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin. No non-grocery posts.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Publix in Cincinnati?

Post by buckguy »

storewanderer wrote: September 26th, 2023, 12:20 am
Knight wrote: September 25th, 2023, 7:14 pm
storewanderer wrote: September 22nd, 2023, 12:10 am I don't think they will do very well in that market. They should go elsewhere.
Who doubted Publix would do well in the Atlanta area? Publix displaced Kroger.
Kroger's Cincinnati operation is very different from Kroger's Atlanta operation. Higher operating standards in Cincinnati.

Further, at the point Publix went into Atlanta, and during the time period Publix built up its share in Atlanta against Kroger, Kroger did not have Marketplace Stores, did not have Boar's Head, did not have Simple Truth private label, did not have Murray's Cheese, most Kroger Stores had no fuel centers... Kroger today is a much stronger competitor with a much more compelling offer than the Kroger that Publix initially met in Atlanta.
Publix's really big push in Atlanta came around the time they bought the former A&P stores---about 25 years ago. There were plenty of fuel centers at that point and Boar's Head went into the deli a few years later. There won't be many surprises in Cincinnati.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

buckguy wrote: September 26th, 2023, 10:46 am

Kroger's Cincinnati operation is very different from Kroger's Atlanta operation. Higher operating standards in Cincinnati.

Further, at the point Publix went into Atlanta, and during the time period Publix built up its share in Atlanta against Kroger, Kroger did not have Marketplace Stores, did not have Boar's Head, did not have Simple Truth private label, did not have Murray's Cheese, most Kroger Stores had no fuel centers... Kroger today is a much stronger competitor with a much more compelling offer than the Kroger that Publix initially met in Atlanta.
Publix's really big push in Atlanta came around the time they bought the former A&P stores---about 25 years ago. There were plenty of fuel centers at that point and Boar's Head went into the deli a few years later. There won't be many surprises in Cincinnati.
Let's see what happens. I still think the Kroger today, especially in their HQ city, is a much different thing than the one Publix so easily took a lot of share from in Atlanta 20+ years ago.

Also there are more other "better" options in Cincinnati like Whole Foods, etc., which all have customers who have already left Kroger looking for something better, and those were potential Publix customers back when Kroger or "Bigg's" or Wal Mart were the only other choices... but now my guess is they will be more likely to stay with Whole Foods or wherever, than move over to Publix.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

storewanderer wrote: September 22nd, 2023, 12:10 am I don't think they will do very well in that market. They should go elsewhere.

Last month, I made my first visit into a Publix since 3007. Growing up, we visited FL several times a year (family + theme parks) and always stopped at Publix. I use to dream of a Publix opening local to me, as I deemed it the gold standard.

Gotta be honest - it’s much a do about nothing. Beautiful stores, but so does everyone else these days. Shockingly, I’d rate Albertsons/Vons bakery and deli programs to be much better (too bad the latter isn’t as fresh).
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Funny how that works with a Company's "mythology" ;)

I find so many of these "reputational" stories unwarranted and unearned or perhaps surfing the reputation of long ago.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: October 1st, 2023, 9:05 pm

Last month, I made my first visit into a Publix since 3007. Growing up, we visited FL several times a year (family + theme parks) and always stopped at Publix. I use to dream of a Publix opening local to me, as I deemed it the gold standard.

Gotta be honest - it’s much a do about nothing. Beautiful stores, but so does everyone else these days. Shockingly, I’d rate Albertsons/Vons bakery and deli programs to be much better (too bad the latter isn’t as fresh).
I think Publix has more consistently executed so therefore better deli (also priced lower) but bakery assortment/price is a lot better at Safeway (quality... I don't know).

Chains like Publix and Raleys did a good job of image building in the 90's that they were something special, something better. Top rated supermarket in Consumer Reports, etc. Huge image for "quality." In the case of Publix now for decades the organic expansion/slow growth has continued and by all measures they are definitely a very good operator but personally I don't even put them in my top 5. In my top 5 I put not necessarily in top 5 order: Nugget (CA), HEB, Hy Vee, Marianos (really), Wegmans. If I could add 6 I'd put Harmon's in Utah in there.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

storewanderer wrote: October 2nd, 2023, 10:55 pm
Bagels wrote: October 1st, 2023, 9:05 pm

I think Publix has more consistently executed so therefore better deli (also priced lower) but bakery assortment/price is a lot better at Safeway (quality... I don't know).

Chains like Publix and Raleys did a good job of image building in the 90's that they were something special, something better. Top rated supermarket in Consumer Reports, etc. Huge image for "quality." In the case of Publix now for decades the organic expansion/slow growth has continued and by all measures they are definitely a very good operator but personally I don't even put them in my top 5. In my top 5 I put not necessarily in top 5 order: Nugget (CA), HEB, Hy Vee, Marianos (really), Wegmans. If I could add 6 I'd put Harmon's in Utah in there.
I really do think that Albertsons has a significantly better meat, deli, bakery, etc. program. The problem is quality can be lacking. Example - at Albertsons (and quite frankly, most anywhere else) if the chicken tenders fried at 11AM don't sell, they'll sell them to you at 7PM. And obviously they'll taste awful. Publix will only keep them so long before they either toss them or sell them in the cold case.

Publix also maintains many features that Kroger and Albertsons retired during the pandemic. Like the salad bar, the wings bar, etc. Heck, in SoCal, Albertsons heavily scaled back their bakery program (no more apple fritters!) but some Vons still have a much larger selection.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: October 2nd, 2023, 10:55 pm

My top 5 would include L&B, Wegmans, Hy-Vee, Gelson’s, New Seasons. If it weren’t for Kroger’s dumbing down, I’d put Fred Meyer in my top 5.

What would your bottom 5 chains be? Winn-Dixie, Food Lion, Homeland?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: October 6th, 2023, 7:29 pm

I really do think that Albertsons has a significantly better meat, deli, bakery, etc. program. The problem is quality can be lacking. Example - at Albertsons (and quite frankly, most anywhere else) if the chicken tenders fried at 11AM don't sell, they'll sell them to you at 7PM. And obviously they'll taste awful. Publix will only keep them so long before they either toss them or sell them in the cold case.

Publix also maintains many features that Kroger and Albertsons retired during the pandemic. Like the salad bar, the wings bar, etc. Heck, in SoCal, Albertsons heavily scaled back their bakery program (no more apple fritters!) but some Vons still have a much larger selection.
I don't recall Publix meat standing out one way or the other, ever. They never seemed to have much product out, no hot specials, etc. Products typically looked fresh and departments were clean. An employee was usually visible.

Publix runs very productive delis thanks to a heavy business of chicken, sandwiches, and lunchmeat. They have a well designed deli program that uses labor efficiently to produce items that actually sell. I think their deli program is far more efficient and profitable than the Albertsons program since as you point out they also do a better job of keeping product fresh. Since they have far less product behind the service case to worry about, it is easier for them. They also seem to segment staffing- for instance there is a dedicated 1-2 employees on hot chicken (this also helps the employee monitor freshness), dedicated 1-2 employees on sandwiches, as opposed to the typical Safeway/Albertsons deli set up where the 3 employees working in the deli are completely misguided and running in every direction; cleaning one second, breading chicken the next, slicing lunchmeat the next, pulling chicken from the fryer the next, getting potato salad into the display the next, making a custom sandwich the next, etc. Albertsons/Safeway probably needs 10 people working in the deli to properly execute its programs but that wouldn't be profitable. So the result is this messy program that executes poorly.

But I think Safeway NorCal has possibly the worst grocery store meat program that exists anywhere. The prices are outrageous, they cut meat poorly, way too thick of cuts, they package items into way too big of packages (just try to get 1 pound of ground beef there), their sales are misleading and if you do not take that exact MEGA PACK (5 pounds plus) of too thick cut front page Steaks you will pay 2-3x the front page price. It is not unusual to see Safeway NorCal seafood counters close down for the night at 6 or 7 and just throw wrapping paper over the items sitting in the case and turn off the lights. I just saw that very situation the other night out in Sparks.

NorCal Safeway seems to still make apple fritters sometimes. For a while they seemed to be putting apple fritters into the donut case that came from a thaw and serve plastic tub (they were fully cooked then frozen, one of those Lofthouse cookies type of products that the store just pulls the packaged plastic tub out of the freezer and slaps a date sticker on) but those were not good and they seem to have stopped that. In the Steve Burd days, the Safeway apple fritter was completely hand made in the bakery right down to the apple being sliced up from fresh apples.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Are your experiences with Publix in S. Florida?

I have not observed or experienced your more positive evaluations in Miami-Dade County.

The further you go north the better it gets. Broward County is a little better and Palm Beach County slightly better.

These southern parts of Florida with Publix are NOT good IMO.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: October 7th, 2023, 9:06 am Are your experiences with Publix in S. Florida?

I have not observed or experienced your more positive evaluations in Miami-Dade County.

The further you go north the better it gets. Broward County is a little better and Palm Beach County slightly better.

These southern parts of Florida with Publix are NOT good IMO.
Every busy Publix I've been to has the deli operated in the systematic manner I describe.

The only ones I've seen that didn't operate that way were around Nashville; they hardly had any customers so the deli only had a couple employees.