How is Meijer thriving in Detroit when Target/WM can't keep urban stores open?

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin. No non-grocery posts.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: How is Meijer thriving in Detroit when Target/WM can't keep urban stores open?

Post by arizonaguy »

buckguy wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 10:05 am
BatteryMill wrote: October 1st, 2023, 3:13 pm My only prediction is more obvious, Meijer is Michigan-based and has been in the Detroit area for much of its existence, therefore they understand the city and can adapt to marketing well.
Kroger has run inner city stores for decades in other cities. It reflects more on their regional management.
Kroger (Fry's) has multiple inner city stores in Phoenix and Tucson. Some of these stores are ridiculously run down but to my knowledge none have closed due to theft / shrink.

I remember shopping at the 8-Mile / Telegraph Super K-Mart in the past and feeling it was a perfectly nice K-Mart (nicer than many others in outer suburbs).
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: How is Meijer thriving in Detroit when Target/WM can't keep urban stores open?

Post by rwsandiego »

arizonaguy wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 1:45 pm
buckguy wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 10:05 am
BatteryMill wrote: October 1st, 2023, 3:13 pm My only prediction is more obvious, Meijer is Michigan-based and has been in the Detroit area for much of its existence, therefore they understand the city and can adapt to marketing well.
Kroger has run inner city stores for decades in other cities. It reflects more on their regional management.
Kroger (Fry's) has multiple inner city stores in Phoenix and Tucson. Some of these stores are ridiculously run down but to my knowledge none have closed due to theft / shrink.

I remember shopping at the 8-Mile / Telegraph Super K-Mart in the past and feeling it was a perfectly nice K-Mart (nicer than many others in outer suburbs).
Likewise, Jewel-Osco has several stores in inner city Chicago that seem to do a brisk business. I think the key is understanding the local market and having a long-standing presence. Sure, Fry's is owned by Kroger, but the store is called "Fry's." They "get" Phoenix and have been here since the 1960's. They have grown up alongside Phoenix. Likewise, Albertsons-owned Jewel "gets" Chicago. They have operated supermarkets since 1932 and have also grown up with Chicago.