Eddie Bauer dumbs down logo for GenZ

Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Eddie Bauer dumbs down logo for GenZ

Post by Brian Lutz »

https://www.fastcompany.com/90963252/ed ... ts-a-goose

Eddie Bauer, in an effort to make their logo readable to GenZ people who apparently consider cursive writing some sort of hieroglyphics, has created the most generic logo possible they possibly can and are using it to rebrand the company.

Apparently Idiocracy is a real thing.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Eddie Bauer dumbs down logo for GenZ

Post by buckguy »

I'm surprised they're even still in business---they once had a distinct niche as a slightly more upscale counterpart to LL Bean. They're locations seem almost randomly distributed with lots of outlet. They need more than a new logo.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

buckguy wrote: October 10th, 2023, 7:50 am I'm surprised they're even still in business---they once had a distinct niche as a slightly more upscale counterpart to LL Bean. They're locations seem almost randomly distributed with lots of outlet. They need more than a new logo.
Don't you know that Logo changes fix all the ills of a business? It also smokescreens the incompetense of the E-Suite!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Super S

Post by Super S »

Eddie Bauer once had a reputation as a mail order outdoor gear type of store. Somewhere along the way they became more of a status/yuppie brand as they started opening mall locations, while stores such as Cabela's and REI appeared, which offer similar products along with a wider selection of sporting goods.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

IIRC Eddie Bauer hasn't had any local locations since their Citrus Heights 'outlet store' closed around 2010(demolished for Sprouts).I know they had a licensing arrangement with the Ford trucks line though I'm uncertain about the current status.
For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

This awful new logo looks remarkably similar to another bad new logo... Lands End. Same blocky upper case bold letters. It's really quite tacky.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

Most messed up brand I can think of. They still have their own stores selling very expensive outer wear. They have outlet stores that seem to focus on junk combined with mom and dad jeans. Finally they license their product to any one it seems. Costco, Sam's, Kohls, and probably others. What does their brand stand for?
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Stands for product for people who haven't discovered Columbia or North Face, and instead spend more on lower quality goods.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

I had to look back, but Eddie Bauer has gone back and forth more than just now on the script logo. In the last few years they also had a block text logo with wider, bold letters and a mountain-scape line running through them. So it's been dumbed down before. They've had many logos since their founding and none are consistent over time. So this isn't like they changed something timeless, but rather just another one of many new logos at Eddie Bauer.

Obviously the fact that they must think logo changes will solve their problems gives you a good indication of how much trouble they're in as an organization.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

I was a very, very long-term customer (almost 40 years, starting when I was 16) and even worked there in the mid-1990's and early 2000's. Even back then, they made serious missteps. We started calling them "Eddie Gap." The days of superior quality are long behind them. The last time I looked at their website, I couldn't find anything I wanted to buy. To me, the quality is the same as Columbia, but the styling is crap. It's not that the style is too young for me, it's that boxy cuts, weird color combinations, and zero contemporary features don't have any style.

They were one of the few companies that sold tall sizes in outerwear that were not necessarily big, which is what snared me as a customer. Sadly, their bad choices in color, style, and prints lost me as a customer.

They lost their way several years ago.