Eddie Bauer dumbs down logo for GenZ

Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Eddie Bauer dumbs down logo for GenZ

Post by Brian Lutz »

Yesterday I was in an Eddie Bauer store for the first time in a while, and was somewhat surprised to see that the new logo was basically non-existent. Out of the entire store, I think I saw all of one item that even had the new logo on it, and that wasn't even clothing. Given the fact that the logo change was announced all the way back in October and the clothing appearing in the store now should be Spring lines you would think the new logo would be much more prominent than it is, but it seems that all of the current product is still using the old logo.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

When they changed out the 1970's - 2000's logo for a slightly different script logo (which was changed back) merchandise carried the old logo for a couple of years. Maybe they bought labels in bulk and want to use 'em up. 🤷
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

When Lands End changed their logo, it took several years to fully switch it out. For seven seasons, you saw a mix of labels. I think some items have a much longer lead time than we think.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Brian Lutz wrote: March 4th, 2024, 7:55 pm Yesterday I was in an Eddie Bauer store for the first time in a while, and was somewhat surprised to see that the new logo was basically non-existent. Out of the entire store, I think I saw all of one item that even had the new logo on it, and that wasn't even clothing. Given the fact that the logo change was announced all the way back in October and the clothing appearing in the store now should be Spring lines you would think the new logo would be much more prominent than it is, but it seems that all of the current product is still using the old logo.
They use a multitude of logos. They have never used just one. Similar to Target when you think about it and how they use the bullseye and lettering in many different ways. I do not understand why this got any hype as there was no indication that they were eliminating the original. Eddie Bauer has used the classic script and a different, even uglier plain blocky logo side by side for a couple decades.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

buckguy wrote: October 12th, 2023, 5:12 am
ClownLoach wrote: October 11th, 2023, 2:22 pm
rwsandiego wrote: October 10th, 2023, 10:14 pm I was a very, very long-term customer (almost 40 years, starting when I was 16) and even worked there in the mid-1990's and early 2000's. Even back then, they made serious missteps. We started calling them "Eddie Gap." The days of superior quality are long behind them. The last time I looked at their website, I couldn't find anything I wanted to buy. To me, the quality is the same as Columbia, but the styling is crap. It's not that the style is too young for me, it's that boxy cuts, weird color combinations, and zero contemporary features don't have any style.

They were one of the few companies that sold tall sizes in outerwear that were not necessarily big, which is what snared me as a customer. Sadly, their bad choices in color, style, and prints lost me as a customer.

They lost their way several years ago.
Columbia quality far exceeds the modern Eddie Bauer. (*except made for Outlet goods)

Columbia has been aggressively researching and designing new materials and fillers. They have superior waterproofing that is still breathable, thin and lightweight jackets that are incredibly warm when needed but won't "roast" you in moderate temperatures, and attractive design. Whatever you want (and don't want) in outerwear, they will have options that work for you at a variety of price points. The only concern I have with Columbia is their development of lower quality "made for outlet store" products which in my opinion detract from their reputation for quality, but their competitors like North Face are doing the same thing. I guess they'd rather introduce more customers to their brand in hopes that they'll like it enough to purchase main line quality products in the future?

Eddie Bauer is inconsistent quality, no technology to improve comfort, and ultimately is comparable to Walmart house brands.
Columbia seems to excel in basic travel clothing, but I wouldn't say they're an innovator. They deliver good value for price and seem to have a wide range of retailers.
So... Their latest textile, Omni-Heat Infinity, was so innovative that it was just used on the new moon lander from Intuitive Machines. Tell me what other clothing brand is being used in space?

And I have a couple of the Infinity jackets, they are absolutely worth the hype. Nice and comfortable warm when it is freezing outside. Same jacket isn't overheating when it is just "cool" outside. Great textile for regulating temperature. My favorite jackets and I think it is just so cool that the same material was chosen to go to the moon!

https://www.columbia.com/omni-heat-infi ... e&icca=btn
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

ClownLoach wrote: March 4th, 2024, 10:52 pm
Brian Lutz wrote: March 4th, 2024, 7:55 pm Yesterday I was in an Eddie Bauer store for the first time in a while, and was somewhat surprised to see that the new logo was basically non-existent. Out of the entire store, I think I saw all of one item that even had the new logo on it, and that wasn't even clothing. Given the fact that the logo change was announced all the way back in October and the clothing appearing in the store now should be Spring lines you would think the new logo would be much more prominent than it is, but it seems that all of the current product is still using the old logo.
They use a multitude of logos. They have never used just one. Similar to Target when you think about it and how they use the bullseye and lettering in many different ways. I do not understand why this got any hype as there was no indication that they were eliminating the original. Eddie Bauer has used the classic script and a different, even uglier plain blocky logo side by side for a couple decades.
There was no "multitude of logos" evident, the only logo I saw on 99% of the items in the store was the old script logo.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

ClownLoach wrote: March 4th, 2024, 10:56 pm
buckguy wrote: October 12th, 2023, 5:12 am
ClownLoach wrote: October 11th, 2023, 2:22 pm

Columbia quality far exceeds the modern Eddie Bauer. (*except made for Outlet goods)

Columbia has been aggressively researching and designing new materials and fillers. They have superior waterproofing that is still breathable, thin and lightweight jackets that are incredibly warm when needed but won't "roast" you in moderate temperatures, and attractive design. Whatever you want (and don't want) in outerwear, they will have options that work for you at a variety of price points. The only concern I have with Columbia is their development of lower quality "made for outlet store" products which in my opinion detract from their reputation for quality, but their competitors like North Face are doing the same thing. I guess they'd rather introduce more customers to their brand in hopes that they'll like it enough to purchase main line quality products in the future?

Eddie Bauer is inconsistent quality, no technology to improve comfort, and ultimately is comparable to Walmart house brands.
Columbia seems to excel in basic travel clothing, but I wouldn't say they're an innovator. They deliver good value for price and seem to have a wide range of retailers.
So... Their latest textile, Omni-Heat Infinity, was so innovative that it was just used on the new moon lander from Intuitive Machines. Tell me what other clothing brand is being used in space?

And I have a couple of the Infinity jackets, they are absolutely worth the hype. Nice and comfortable warm when it is freezing outside. Same jacket isn't overheating when it is just "cool" outside. Great textile for regulating temperature. My favorite jackets and I think it is just so cool that the same material was chosen to go to the moon!

https://www.columbia.com/omni-heat-infi ... e&icca=btn
The cut of a jacket effects how much insulation you can get from the weight of the insulator. A number of brands like Patagonia, Rab, and Arc'teryx tend toward slim fitting jackets (I recently heard it called a "sports cut") which effectively trap heat close to the body without having a lot of weight or loft in the insulation. It's an easy way to get good insulation lightweight clothing, although they usually have spring lock cords to loosen/tighten the fit..
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Brian Lutz wrote: March 5th, 2024, 10:28 am
There was no "multitude of logos" evident, the only logo I saw on 99% of the items in the store was the old script logo.
They had all of these but the new logo last time I was in. The version with a "mountain" is primarily used at stores like Sam's Club and Costco that carry their merchandise.
SmartSelect_20240305_170106_Chrome.jpg
SmartSelect_20240305_170050_Chrome.jpg
SmartSelect_20240305_170039_Chrome.jpg
SmartSelect_20240305_170019_Chrome.jpg
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

In Psychology, I learned that cursive writing uses certain neural networks in the brain. If you never learned cursive, there are certain parts of the brain that are not used and are left to decay.

This can affect a person's ability to learn and think critically.

California as of 2024 now requires cursive to be taught in grades 1 through 6.

The act of writing helps to solidify memories. Taking notes by writing on paper is the best way to retain information as it stimulates networks in the brain. Typing on a keyboard uses different parts of the brain and leads to less memory retention.

The younger generation is dependent on their computer screens and therefore have poorer memory recall and retain less information. Our children are being left behind. In other countries they learn cursive writing and their children are much better in math and science.

Young adults in America struggle to read cursive. There brains are unaccustomed to cursive and certain neural networks have not been used and have atrophied. If you don't use it, you lose it.

It is similar to learning a second language. If you learn a language before age 12, you can become fluent for life with a perfect accent. After age 12, that area of the brain for language learning has been set in stone. Learning a new language will become extremely difficult. You will never speak fluently or easily. You will struggle and have a terrible accent for the rest of your life.

It is essential to learn reading and writing skills in language at a young age or else you will lose the ability to retain information.

I view script writing as an art form as and as a way to activate certain parts of the brain that you need to exercise. If you don't use your entire brain those areas will atrophy and die off.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

ClownLoach wrote: March 5th, 2024, 5:05 pm
Brian Lutz wrote: March 5th, 2024, 10:28 am

They had all of these but the new logo last time I was in. The version with a "mountain" is primarily used at stores like Sam's Club and Costco that carry their merchandise.

SmartSelect_20240305_170106_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20240305_170050_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20240305_170039_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20240305_170019_Chrome.jpg
Remember this logo from a few years ago?
Eddie Bauer Script 2.png
Of course you don't. It is almost identical to the long-time logo used until the change to this one, which they reverted to after a couple of years:
EB Signature 1.png
The one that looks like handwriting was initially used on their premium/heritage clothing line, but then it was adopted as the company logo. It appeared on the website, but I never saw it on a store. Then, for whatever reason, they went back to the old one.