Target will no longer open stores on Thanksgiving

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Target will no longer open stores on Thanksgiving

Post by Brian Lutz »

https://corporate.target.com/news-featu ... anksgiving

Since 2020 Target stores have been closed on Thanksgiving Day, and now CEO Brian Cornell has announced that Target will be making the policy of closing stores on Thanksgiving permanent.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Target will no longer open stores on Thanksgiving

Post by ClownLoach »

Brian Lutz wrote: November 11th, 2023, 4:36 pm

https://corporate.target.com/news-featu ... anksgiving

Since 2020 Target stores have been closed on Thanksgiving Day, and now CEO Brian Cornell has announced that Target will be making the policy of closing stores on Thanksgiving permanent.
They are repeating themselves in an attempt to get free press. Obviously it's working. They already said to their employees in 2021 they were staying closed on Thanksgiving.

I noticed Trader Joe's is no longer going to be open a half day on Thanksgiving or Christmas either, they will be closed.

I am not entirely convinced this is to be "nice" to the employees, I worked for a company that was open on Thanksgiving until 2020 and we never had problems getting an all volunteer workforce since it's basically a skeleton crew. Many people are alone or have sad memories of holidays with loved ones who are now gone, and working helped to keep them away from a sad empty house. They also got paid all overtime for working the holiday. I think these retailers are closing to avoid paying so much overtime Thanksgiving week. Historically most retailers used to spend as much on overtime Thanksgiving week as they do the other 51 weeks combined. All that overtime is now eliminated with these closures and moved right back to the profit line. They're not doing this to drive engagement or make sure mom can cook Thanksgiving dinner for the kids. It's a profit equation.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

It is always about the money despite their "nice words" of values and being a good citizen and caring for their employees and customers. I have heard all the "nice words" from coast to coast but knew better from closed door meetings.

:lol: :lol:
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

veteran+ wrote: November 12th, 2023, 7:44 am It is always about the money despite their "nice words" of values and being a good citizen and caring for their employees and customers. I have heard all the "nice words" from coast to coast but knew better from closed door meetings.

:lol: :lol:
It's the same reason they're all backing off Black Friday sales. Why spend the time and money hiring a ridiculous amount of people that are basically needed for just one or two days where there are dozens of extra shifts. Spread out the sale through the month and the revenue is the same but margins are higher overall with no real "doorbuster" blowout deals, and now you don't have to hire as many people, less spending on training payroll, extra stockers to work all weekend filling the store constantly etc. They still hire seasonal workers to lower the average pay rate but save a fortune by hiring less of them.