New Build Stater Bros opens in Chino

California. No non-grocery posts.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

New Build Stater Bros opens in Chino

Post by ClownLoach »

Stater Bros opened a new store a few weeks ago in Chino, CA as the first tenant of a large new mixed use development. Although they have opened some new locations in the last few years they are typically reuse of other facilities such as a converted Kmart or others; this is their first completely new from the ground up build in their newest prototype. There are similarities to Whittier which I believe was the last true new build but they have already retired that design/format which was far too similar in appearance to Colorful Lifestyle.

I went by to visit and found the store to be quite attractive and well put together. The layout is similar to a newer build Albertsons with freezers and packaged deli at the left end, meat and dairy on the back wall and then everything else at the right together - produce, bakery, service deli with taco bar and fried chicken meal counter, sushi bar, and fresh cut fruit bar. They have adopted a split ceiling style very similar to the Ralphs builds of the 1990's until mid 2000's, drop ceiling around the entire perimeter and front end with a open high ceiling with skylights over center store. I think their version is even nicer than Ralphs because they have woodgrain stained wooden beam work and the razor thin LED strips hanging so that high ceiling really stands out. The service meat department is larger than the standard already big Stater counter, they had many more pre-marinated selections along with their own sausage program. Front end is split between about 6 full service checkouts and a pod of 6 self checkout units with single entrance and exit; self checkout had two employees assigned who were providing help as needed. I felt the store was even nicer than the recently remodeled Oceanside location (a massive investment considering they enlarged it, gutted to the rafters and outer walls then completely started again), and despite my early criticism of their new decor they are installing it with quality 3 Dimensional lettering and good lighting plus adding texture like many different subway tiles to make up for the wallpaper graphics used. You can see the difference in a properly remodeled store versus the test site where it was slapped onto the wall "as is" by their design vendor. They are continuing to lean their assortment more into a Hispanic concept with the taco bar, Hispanic pastries in the bakery, linguisa and chorizo made in house, a large section of Hispanic spices and housewares prominently featured, etc. but the store is designed in such a way that it is welcoming to all and embracing diversity; the first thing you see when you walk in is the largest Sushi counter I've seen at any conventional market in SoCal and it was heavily staffed and producing tons of product my wife said looked fantastic to her.

Very nice to see that Stater Bros is making up for the lack of investment from the other big chains in SoCal and still constructing new supermarkets. Beautiful store they've put together in Chino that will serve them very well as the community grows up around it (the store is surrounded by farmland that is all being developed into homes). If you're looking for pictures this is the store on Pine Avenue.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Re: New Build Stater Bros opens in Chino

Post by BatteryMill »

Do like how Stater Bros. still does drop ceilings, looks like a modern boutique store combined with a 1980s Albertsons.
storewanderer

Re: New Build Stater Bros opens in Chino

Post by storewanderer »

Tough to get past how much the interior wall decor looks like an A&P interior wall decor but still a great looking store.

This company has been doing great things for years and doesn't get the credit it deserves.