Canada Single Use Plastic Ban Ruled Unconstitutional

News & Discussion from the grocery retailers in the Canadian provinces & territories
storewanderer

Canada Single Use Plastic Ban Ruled Unconstitutional

Post by storewanderer »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/court- ... -1.7030716

This ban was to shut down the manufacturer and distribution of various single use items labeling them as "toxic." Now that will actually have to be proven.

This is the same law that found the compostable bags Clown likes to discuss as illegal. Claimed they don't really break down and there is no proof they're any better than plastic.

The government is promising to appeal.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10104787/pla ... rt-appeal/

What I find to be "toxic" is improperly or not cleaned reusable packaging items and when you force people into using reusables who have poor personal hygiene, no facilities to clean or maintain such reusables, are sick, etc. that is what you get and that really is toxic.

These toxic politicians who pushed this bill all need to be voted out.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Canada Single Use Plastic Ban Ruled Unconstitutional

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: November 20th, 2023, 7:29 pm https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/court- ... -1.7030716

This ban was to shut down the manufacturer and distribution of various single use items labeling them as "toxic." Now that will actually have to be proven.

This is the same law that found the compostable bags Clown likes to discuss as illegal. Claimed they don't really break down and there is no proof they're any better than plastic.

The government is promising to appeal.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10104787/pla ... rt-appeal/

What I find to be "toxic" is improperly or not cleaned reusable packaging items and when you force people into using reusables who have poor personal hygiene, no facilities to clean or maintain such reusables, are sick, etc. that is what you get and that really is toxic.

These toxic politicians who pushed this bill all need to be voted out.
To be clear, the Canadian bags I talk about are not the ones being banned, which are like the Trader Joe's produce bags. Those are problematic as they get tangled in sorting equipment and apparently they don't break down in the real environment. They feel like "silky plastic." It sounds like the tests used strong chemicals to simulate the breakdown process, I'm sure we would all immediately biodegrade if we were exposed to the same chemicals, that doesn't mean that they are not going to be just like plastic up against the actual environment. Considering they feel like they are the thick plastic grocery bags, I'm not really surprised.

The "good" Canadian bags are 100% clear, still in use in Quebec not opaque or frosted and they are supposed to be plant based. They are not very common yet. If I make it up there this holiday season I'll take pictures and get some to bring back. They're really impressive.

And these guys are crazy if they really think it's going to be a good thing to have people bringing what, their reusable bags or bins and such for fish or steaks to be put inside? They really want people to bring their dirty Tupperware and such to be tare weighted and then loaded with deli foods etc.? Will the customer still get to sue for millions and win when they get food poisoning in their own foul container they brought? Will the stores have to stop and wash these dishes for the customer between slicing meat (I'm assuming onto paper or something since the single use sanitary sheets are plastic? Maybe the Ralphs by my house was training their workers for future Canadian regulations if the store grew wings and moved?)? Do these brain dead politicians understand anything about sanitation? Considering their socialized Healthcare program, it's going to cost the government a fortune to treat all the food poisoning cases from serving into customers own unsanitary containers. Yuck.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: November 20th, 2023, 9:02 pm

To be clear, the Canadian bags I talk about are not the ones being banned, which are like the Trader Joe's produce bags. Those are problematic as they get tangled in sorting equipment and apparently they don't break down in the real environment. They feel like "silky plastic." It sounds like the tests used strong chemicals to simulate the breakdown process, I'm sure we would all immediately biodegrade if we were exposed to the same chemicals, that doesn't mean that they are not going to be just like plastic up against the actual environment. Considering they feel like they are the thick plastic grocery bags, I'm not really surprised.

The "good" Canadian bags are 100% clear, still in use in Quebec not opaque or frosted and they are supposed to be plant based. They are not very common yet. If I make it up there this holiday season I'll take pictures and get some to bring back. They're really impressive.

And these guys are crazy if they really think it's going to be a good thing to have people bringing what, their reusable bags or bins and such for fish or steaks to be put inside? They really want people to bring their dirty Tupperware and such to be tare weighted and then loaded with deli foods etc.? Will the customer still get to sue for millions and win when they get food poisoning in their own foul container they brought? Will the stores have to stop and wash these dishes for the customer between slicing meat (I'm assuming onto paper or something since the single use sanitary sheets are plastic? Maybe the Ralphs by my house was training their workers for future Canadian regulations if the store grew wings and moved?)? Do these brain dead politicians understand anything about sanitation? Considering their socialized Healthcare program, it's going to cost the government a fortune to treat all the food poisoning cases from serving into customers own unsanitary containers. Yuck.
I need to find out about those Quebec bags. Of course nobody in the US ever presents them as a solution.

And yes that is exactly what they want. You go in for a 1/2lb of Crab Salad you bring in your little plastic (oh gee it is plastic again even if it isn't "single use") Tupperware or whatever and they figure out the tare then they dispense the salad into it. Forget you had that container in the back of your car back seat where your pet sits with its butt touching the seat all day and now that same container just touched the scale at the store. That's ok.

Next up is the deli and again you want 1/2 lb of Ham you give up your reusable container to put that ham into.

My concern is cross contamination from dirty customer provided containers. There is a reason why most health regulations do not allow "outside containers" to go behind a food prep counter in the US.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Interesting article that analyzes the "ruling" -

Article gets a lot better analytically as you get past the first 5 or 6 paragraphs... in my opinion. Initial paragraphs are rather red meat.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/judges ... l-thinking

I don't know what these politicians thought. This was way more than just a ban on certain single use plastics. They set out to literally SHUT DOWN the plastics industry even for export (what do they care if it gets exported).