Bartell discussion (specific) from Seattle Times

buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Bartell discussion (specific) from Seattle Times

Post by buckguy »

I went to this one back and February. It looked nice form the outside, but inside it looked like it hadn't been touched in years, may be decades. It had a smell that I recognized from long ago drug stores, although a large chunk of the merchandise was packaged food. It just seemed musty and neglected. There weren't many customers but I wouldn't expect many during mid-afternoon on a weekday.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

buckguy wrote: December 18th, 2023, 5:19 pm I went to this one back and February. It looked nice form the outside, but inside it looked like it hadn't been touched in years, may be decades. It had a smell that I recognized from long ago drug stores, although a large chunk of the merchandise was packaged food. It just seemed musty and neglected. There weren't many customers but I wouldn't expect many during mid-afternoon on a weekday.
I think you're right- the inside probably hadn't been touched since the late 90's.

I was in this store multiple times pre COVID on weekdays in the mid afternoon (2 PM/3 PM range) and the store was VERY busy but it was a lot of come and go type traffic sort of like a convenience store. They had 2-3 cashiers up front and there was steadily a line of 4-5 customers waiting but it moved very quickly due to the tiny transactions. The pharmacy didn't look to have much activity at all if any.

So the decline in traffic in downtown Seattle as office workers have fled probably reflects what you saw as far as lack of traffic, as well as supports the decision for this store being closed.
tkaye
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by tkaye »

storewanderer wrote: December 18th, 2023, 10:31 pm I think you're right- the inside probably hadn't been touched since the late 90's.
Around 2010, Bartell #1 expanded into the adjacent corner storefront that had been a Coldstone Creamery. It was remodeled out of the late '90s decor at that time. They added a beer and wine section, expanded the convenience foods, and if memory serves, they changed the layout of the pharmacy. Seattle souvenirs had a prominent nook on the corner next to the pharmacy.

It was far more attractive than the old G.O. Guy and Pay 'n Save units that Rite Aid was still operating downtown.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

I figured this was as good a place as any to put this. New pharmacy opens in Tukwila, Wash. with former Bartell staff.
At a time when Seattle drugstores are closing, an independent expands
On Tuesday, the same day the Tukwila Bartell shut its doors, a new and very different pharmacy — run by a former Tukwila Bartell pharmacist, no less — opened its doors a few blocks to the south.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

SamSpade wrote: January 10th, 2024, 9:15 am I figured this was as good a place as any to put this. New pharmacy opens in Tukwila, Wash. with former Bartell staff.
On Tuesday, the same day the Tukwila Bartell shut its doors, a new and very different pharmacy — run by a former Tukwila Bartell pharmacist, no less — opened its doors a few blocks to the south.
There is a small operator in Orange County that this reminds me of called Dial Drug. They were down to one location in Laguna Hills after selling their Garden Grove location to Walgreens a couple decades ago, but they have recently reopened near Disneyland.

And the punchline is their legal name they chose.... Sav-On Drug Stores Inc.

https://npidb.org/organizations/supplie ... 06171-amp/
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

SamSpade wrote: January 10th, 2024, 9:15 am I figured this was as good a place as any to put this. New pharmacy opens in Tukwila, Wash. with former Bartell staff.
Limited front end and a focus on service based offerings. What a concept.

I hope they will be successful. They could probably make more money working for Walgreens or CVS as the lone pharmacist all day in a 400-500 script per day store doing 50-60 hour weeks but sometimes it isn't all about the money... if they can get enough profit out of these stores they have opened to get the wage they want/need to live comfortably, they should be set.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

ClownLoach wrote: January 10th, 2024, 5:05 pm There is a small operator in Orange County that this reminds me of called Dial Drug. They were down to one location in Laguna Hills after selling their Garden Grove location to Walgreens a couple decades ago, but they have recently reopened near Disneyland.

Doesn't Albertsons still own the Sav-On trademark?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

HCal wrote: January 11th, 2024, 1:36 am
ClownLoach wrote: January 10th, 2024, 5:05 pm There is a small operator in Orange County that this reminds me of called Dial Drug. They were down to one location in Laguna Hills after selling their Garden Grove location to Walgreens a couple decades ago, but they have recently reopened near Disneyland.

Yes. And actively uses it as it is still on many storefronts (even if it is coming off some) and on fixtures inside many stores.

I have no clue why this company would register legally under that name. Are they trying to be funny?
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

storewanderer wrote: January 11th, 2024, 6:24 pm
Yes. And actively uses it as it is still on many storefronts (even if it is coming off some) and on fixtures inside many stores.

I have no clue why this company would register legally under that name. Are they trying to be funny?
Perhaps they plan to pounce on the trademark as soon as Albertsons abandons it, which it seems like they are in the process of doing already.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: January 11th, 2024, 6:24 pm
HCal wrote: January 11th, 2024, 1:36 am

I think it's hilarious. I stumbled on the legal name trying to find information on the business. I saw the sign on the new location. This was the pharmacy my parents used when I was a kid, so I was shocked to see it return to Garden Grove. They don't have a website as far as I know either. But in an era where small independent pharmacies have closed by the thousands they are a survivor; I think they've been in continuous operations in Laguna Hills for decades next door to what is now REI.