Modesto A&W closes due to ADA lawsuit

ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Modesto A&W closes due to ADA lawsuit

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: November 25th, 2023, 1:03 am I've heard these groups will target a business and they will not take no for an answer. They will demand the business rebuild so it is able to have proper access/spacing. Really they just want a settlement of some kind but they don't care if they bankrupt the business in the process. As long as they get their settlement payment first.

I agree it is the responsibility of the business to comply with the law "as soon as possible." If the structure makes it impossible to remodel (too old), economics do not allow for you to demolish/rebuild, then it is not "possible" anytime soon. So you provide service to make up for it as they did.

I don't think this business did anything wrong. Operating from an old outdated building isn't doing something wrong.
There are lawyer groups who do this professionally, they have professional "victims" who they work with. They don't care at all if the business goes under and the argument for rebuilding is just rhetoric in the suit. Their entire goal is to manipulate a legal system that is designed in a matter where the cost to defend against the lawsuit is so massive that even though the law says that the business is "in the right" they can't afford their day in court. I have heard of some of these lawsuits where the details are not what you would think and there is no actual problem to any real disabled person. I saw one of these lawsuits where they knocked over a trash can deliberately in the bathroom so that they could claim that the sink was not set up to always be accessible and management was neglectful (they also stole the restroom maintenance log to make it harder to prove that the restrooms are checked, those forms are worth millions in California courtrooms). I have also seen lawsuits where they actually vandalized the bathroom, for example removing the protective pipe wraps that go under sinks to protect against one in a wheelchair being burned by a hot water hose. The manager found the pipe wraps thrown into a regular stall, found it strange and called a plumber to replace everything. Thankfully he had that paperwork because two days later they were served with a million dollar class action suit with pictures of the non compliant sinks but obviously no pictures of the intentional removal of the protective material. If he had fixed it himself it would have been his word versus the lawyers and they would have probably found against him. I had one of my stores served with a lawsuit claiming we didn't have correct handicapped parking signs. Funny thing was that Legal called me and I was at the store, I walked out front and the specific location they claimed was unmarked had a sign, and it had bird crap all over it too. I sent a picture to the lawyer immediately, bird crap and all to prove it had always been there, and they called the plaintiffs lawyers and told them that they had 24 hours to withdraw the suit or we would make an example of them for the court and furthermore would petition the State Bar to ban the lawyer.

The law allows for many situations that are imperfect. For example, the A&W could have parking spaces on the curb side that are striped for handicapped parking. They might be that way already and as such only create a few extra feet if any for one to travel. Nobody is actually being victimized here. But technically they are supposed to be the absolute closest ones which can also be a matter of opinion (because of other factors such as type of vehicle the handicapped person uses, method of load/unload, one way could be further for one person and shorter for another!) and as such they sue hoping a settlement will be cheaper fully knowing the business is legally compliant. I've been lawsuits filed where the city water mains, sewer lines, or underground power forces the placement of the parking lot rows and such, and these guys will try to sue that a parking space that is three inches closer to the building should have been selected instead or the utilities should have been moved which is impossible. Now you have to get experts to testify over three inches? Nobody who is disabled is being damaged by a three inch difference in what is still a 50 foot transit to the store. There are actual engineering groups that certify compliance with ADA, you'll see their stickers and signs on many buildings now but these guys will still sue hoping the business will settle because it's cheaper than the legal process.

Once again, there is no actual victim here if the business made a reasonable attempt to comply, which they did. 99.99% of these suits by the traveling lawyer are businesses that they know are actually compliant and they sue anyway demanding perfection which is not what the law is about at all. The law should demand a "loser pays" system for these lawsuits, as well as a dramatic reduction in court fees which are completely unreasonable, which would shut down these shakedown operations instantly.
Last edited by ClownLoach on November 25th, 2023, 12:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

veteran+ wrote: November 25th, 2023, 7:39 am I will just have to respectfully disagree.

People before business. This whole rationalization (and story) does not consider the disabled folks who deserve the dignity of independence (however helpful others may be).

They want to park their own car in a space close to the entrance, convey themselves inside and order or be "seated" to dine.

☮️
So you advocate for closure if, say for example, the handicapped parking space is 2 feet and 5 inches further than the absolute closest space because the only alternative is to demolish and close the business? And by the way, the distance is still 50 feet, so the person who has to park 52 feet 7 inches away doesn't have independence but the person 50 feet away does? So what if the first now perfect parking space is now full, and the disabled person had to park in the second one with is now 70 feet away? Legally they're not a victim, but one 52 ft 7 inches would be? You see how the argument these legal vultures make is bulls___?

Substantial compliance should be a given. There is no way this restaurant was not in substantial compliance otherwise it would not have been open over 30 years after the law passed. A&W especially during the time it was owned by Yum brands would have closed it just like they systemically replaced nearly every original Taco Bell during that time frame since they were so far off of compliance, plus new process improvements like redesigned kitchens improved performance so it was cheaper to demolish and replace. Heck, even the Health Dept checks, along with building and safety every time a permit repair occurs, and I'm sure they've had to replace equipment like water heaters or other stuff over time meaning that even the building and planning dept of local government has signed off. So there is something else going on here as the site had to be in substantial compliance.

Thus the suit is really about a false demand for perfection, like the majority of these claims. Perfection is not a reasonable demand under the law, especially because as I discussed previously perfection is actually impossible to define under the law because of its intentionally flexible design and calls for "reasonable accommodation."

This lawsuit was not about substantial compliance and reasonable accommodation, which is what the law calls for and the business provided. This lawsuit was about demands for absolute perfection which are impossible to create on a historic business like this, and now everyone is equally victimized by the loss of this facility which was universally enjoyed.

I'd politely suggest you read up on the practices of these shakedown folks especially if you're in retail management so that you know how to avoid being a victim. When I ran a District I never was successfully sued, but my peers were, and the legal process is just outrageous. Imagine a District Manager spending weeks in court being asked to testify repeatedly about the architecture of the bathrooms (obviously he's not an architect either). It's a racket and it is not protecting anyone who is disabled, it is not giving anyone disabled the independence you're advocating for, it's just a way for the lawyers to get rich at the expense of everyone else. It was nice to see that my company would fight tooth and nail because we knew we were right and we had counsel on staff to reduce cost, and we won every lawsuit. But don't think for a minute that the costs of those lawyers and court fees etc. are not added to the cost of every item in the store all the way down to the Snickers bar at checkout. Everyone loses when these disgusting vultures win.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

I am fully confident that Clown and Storewanderer will respect that we can disagree.

I fully support the ADA law (a federal law for civil rights) and its intention, administered by the Department of Justice.

If there are malefactors involved (unethical lawyers), they should be dealt with (disbarred).

:)
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

veteran+ wrote: November 26th, 2023, 9:25 am I am fully confident that Clown and Storewanderer will respect that we can disagree.

I fully support the ADA law (a federal law for civil rights) and its intention, administered by the Department of Justice.

If there are malefactors involved (unethical lawyers), they should be dealt with (disbarred).

Yes I fully support the law as well, which is why the law should not require hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal costs to defend one's business if they are sued, even if they are substantially compliant as per the law as I'm sure this business was.

The lawyers are going to get to the point where there will be calls to repeal this law because of the abuse, and since we have already seen other laws repealed or struck down that seemed to be "chiseled in stone" I think there is a chance it could happen.

The law does not require perfection, only substantial compliance. I doubt there is one business anywhere in the USA that is "perfectly" compliant every single day, and as stated there are many aspects of the law which could be deemed a matter of opinion or even something as wacky as whether a parking space is "right" or "wrong" depending on the size and shape and loading method of the specific vehicle owned by the handicapped person.

Veteran, I'm sure you would support a government inspection or certification program? I would. It should be part of the health inspection. And if the business is found to be compliant and they didn't do something funky after like a unpermitted remodel, then they should be able to request an immediate hearing where any new lawsuit that's a perfection debate like which parking space is better gets immediately dismissed with prejudice by the judge because it has been approved by the government. I'm sure any politician proposing such a reasonable program like ADA certification to end all these lawsuits would find that the lawyers would be immediately funding an opposing candidate and seeking a recall and such.

Right now this is being used like the other lawyer designed statutes such as the various laws that basically make everything have a label that says an item might cause cancer... Not one cancer causing item has been removed from sale, but lawyers have made billions on lawsuits about intricate details such as the font on the notice or the color of the paper the sign is printed on.

Nobody is winning except for the lawyers right now and actions like this disgusting closure prove it.
Last edited by ClownLoach on November 26th, 2023, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: November 26th, 2023, 9:25 am I am fully confident that Clown and Storewanderer will respect that we can disagree.

The ADA law in question here is a California-specific law, not a Federal law. One going back to the 90's. Disabled individuals have been used as tools by various lawyers to make a lot of money for themselves (the lawyers) off of this law. This isn't about disabled people having access to businesses or somehow helping their civil rights. There is no difference in disabled customer access in California businesses than there is in businesses in other states that did not ever implement this type of a law. You do not hear disabled people praising California because things are so magically accessible for them there as opposed to other states because there is no real difference. This law has done nothing but enrich lawyers and destroy numerous small businesses.

What bothers me here is the way this attacks so many small businesses that have been in business for a long time. I do not like to see these businesses victimized in this manner.

If a modern, present day construction business is maliciously non-compliant it is an issue and it should be dealt with.

The issue is these old buildings... especially this old of a building.

I'm sure if this was being pushed by Republican-backed contractor's groups who were out fishing for additional work/projects under the guise of making businesses ADA complaint opinions would be much different for some people regarding this.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

"government inspection or certification program"

YES!!!!

I seriously dislike lawyers (my ex wife is a paralegal..............she HATES them). :evil: :x